12 games in - Gailey discovers running game???

San-O

With the season all but over, again, and 12 games into the 2012 season, Gailey doscovers running game?

o 17 pass attempts.

o 39 run attempts.

I'm sure there is a reaonable explanation, I just don't know what it could be?

Flame away.

Go Bills.

He's coaching to keep the only job he knows he can get in the NFL

Well, if so, then it's probably going to work: run the hell out of the ball, with Freddy and C.J.

Too bad he wouldn't do so when against better teams and when games meant something.

Fred played great. Our team parted the Red Sea for us today. Don't piss in the sand.

Great is probably a it over rated. But that's besides the point. Just this past week Chan stated that CJ would get 70% of the touches. CJ is better and that's the point.

Spiller's never had 25 carries.

Nope. But he's had more than 14. He's been on the field in the Red Zone before. He's been more involved and that's for sure. Again, Chan lied, said CJ would be more of a focal point but want.

Besides, even if CJ has never carried 25 times, doesn't mean he can't or won't. Why not try it to see what happens for once.

Again, I'm happy we ran to begin with, but that's probably more telling because of the rain and not Chan wanting to run. I'm sure well see it again soon that Chan gets pass happy again. Who knows, maybe he'll show is all how great the lame @$$ wildcat is again. So happy we saw that 2 times today. Regardless if it worked or not; it took offensive weapons off the field and out the ball into Brad Smiths hands and that's a joke.

Great is probably a it over rated. But that's besides the point. Just this past week Chan stated that CJ would get 70% of the touches. CJ is better and that's the point.

Some of you guys kill me. CJ wasn't consistant today. You want to run CJ no matter what but other than the long TD run he was getting stuffed all day. You can't keep giving him the ball when he's getting shut down or you'll end up in 2nd and 3rd and long and then we'll have to hear people B word about how Fitz sucks and why is he throwing the ball but when you're put into those situations they dictate throwing the ball.

FJ was getting consistant yards today, turning out run after run and keeping drives going and putting them in 3rd and manageable situations and people STILL B word? It's his ability to keep turning out yardage and putting them in good down and distance situations that enabled them to run the ball so much.

Really, I think people just want to preach their agenda and that's it. The Bills put up 34 points today and ran the ball all over the Jags - what does it matter who got the yards?

Edited by MDH

Some of you guys kill me. CJ wasn't consistant today. You want to run CJ no matter what but other than the long TD run he was getting stuffed all day. You can't keep giving him the ball when he's getting shut down or you'll end up in 2nd and 3rd and long and then we'll have to hear people B word about how Fitz sucks and why is he throwing the ball but when you're put into those situations they dictate throwing the ball.

FJ was getting consistant yards today, turning out run after run and keeping drives going and putting them in 3rd and manageable situations and people STILL B word? It's his ability to keep turning out yardage and putting them in good down and distance situations that enabled them to run the ball so much.

Really, I think people just want to preach their agenda and that's it. The Bills put up 34 points today and ran the ball all over the Jags - what does it matter who got the yards?

Your right. The Bulls won. We put up TDs instead of FGs. If we weren't 5-7 and were 7-5 or better and in a prime playoff race, no one would care who got the carries. But there's a few things to your issues. IF Chan would have found his run game earlier in the year, we would have been in the playoff fight as we speak. Instead, he was pass happy, early and often and were suffering now because of it.

As far as Freddy goes today. Did you pay attention to the rushing stat line at the half? You claim CJ was constantly stuffed for no gain it little yards. Well, at the half, he and Freddy were almost identical. They were both in the 2.0 yard average range. Its inly in the 2nd half that Freddy pulled away in the YOC department. And since CJ didnt get many opportunities in the 2nd half, well never know. So the question is, if CJ ran more, would we have been more dominant today? Whether that matters or not is up for debate.

Regardless of all this, that doesn't change the fact that this past week Chan said that CJ would be more important to the offense. Said he would be getting close to 70% of the runs. And yet, like he has done for the last 3 years of our HC, he has pulled one over on us again.

It's not that some of us just want OUR OWN agendas to be fulfilled. It's the fact that many if us here have constantly been more right and less predictable than our own coaches. Honestly, that shouldn't be the case. We are message board fans, former high school football dreamers. We shouldn't be able to provide the same amount of knowledge about the game that our HC who makes millions every year does. But we consistently show that we could make better draft picks, and game plans than the southern idiot.

Maybe that's why I'm always so critical of Chan. Why others are as well. Because we know that of CJ was the focal point of our team, we wild be in a prime spot to end this 13 year playoff drought.

With the season all but over, again, and 12 games into the 2012 season, Gailey doscovers running game?

I'm sure there is a reaonable explanation, I just don't know what it could be?

Flame away.

Go Bills.

Pretty sure the weather had a lot to do with the amount of running plays. The Jags could not pass as well as they have the last few games due to 40 mph winds and pouring rain. The weather conditions favored our play style.

Yes. The weather had some to do with it. But again, remember what Gailey was saying this past week: he put in plays that Fitz wasn't allowed to audible out of because he wanted to run the ball more. The obvious implication is that Fitz was tending to check out of running plays and into passing plays.

As I've said a few times in other threads, there's a possibility that the reason Fitz was throwing too much had to do with Fitz and not so much Gailey.

I went back to Gailey's statement which came out on an ESPN text and technically he said the snaps would go to Spiller on a 60/40 basis.

That said I think again that the weather had to do with the change in strategy and that Gailey wanted to pound the ball with the bigger back. I think that strategy worked well today and I was pleased with Freddy's performance.

However I think (repeating myself again) that it would be nice if both backs were on the field at the same time. They are the two best offensive skill players on the team (along with Stevie) and even if they don't get the touch on any particular play, just their presence is enough to create problems for the defense.

I remember before the season began that Gailey was saying that he was gonna try getting them both on the field at the same time.

Clearly that plan has fallen by the wayside.

It's not that some of us just want OUR OWN agendas to be fulfilled. It's the fact that many if us here have constantly been more right and less predictable than our own coaches. Honestly, that shouldn't be the case. We are message board fans, former high school football dreamers. We shouldn't be able to provide the same amount of knowledge about the game that our HC who makes millions every year does. But we consistently show that we could make better draft picks, and game plans than the southern idiot.

Maybe that's why I'm always so critical of Chan. Why others are as well. Because we know that of CJ was the focal point of our team, we wild be in a prime spot to end this 13 year playoff drought.

I agree with this.

He's the professional football coach and we're just fans but how come it was the fans here who were saying:

1) The defense is too vanilla and Wanny has to use more blitzes, stunts, and deception.

2) The Bills need to run the ball more and pass less.

If he's the professional, then why were we able to see the problem before he did?

Your right SJBF. All this is true. Especially Chan saying he wanted both in the field more.

Especially the thought of having CJ on the field for nothing more than a decoy would benefit the offense as well.

As I've said in the past. It's absolutely CRIMINAL that Chan eliminates the threat of CJ being in the field. Especially in the red zone. It shouldn't happen. I've also state in the past, what makes it more sickening is the fact that CJ is the back that Chan just HAD to have. His first pick as HC of this team. He stated how important the run game would be for us. He stated how we needed a back like CJ (even though he was wrong about what CJ is and what he's capable of). He has failed at managing the running back position since he's been here. I get why we got rid of Lynch (I wanted him gone too), but Chan mismanaged how good Freddy was. He then drafted CJ when we clearly had bigger needs. Then he gave CJ the starting job starting week 1 of his rookie year, only to mismanage that and fumble through all his backs for the first few weeks. Then last year CJ looked great when Freddy was down, and yet he refused to give him carries in the 2nd half of games. Now this year, CJ has proven to be a home run threat on every play and he takes him away more than he should.

Another thing I've said in the past, I actually hope CJ becomes a FA and goes to a team willing to use his talents and game plan around him. Like Tomlinson, Holmes, Faulk, Westbrook. There's no reason he can't or won't be as good as these names, but it'll never happen with Chan. So CJ, if you read this, stay healthy, don't give Chan any more than he deserves, stay fresh, and go somewhere else to make millions and a bust for yourself in Canton.

Wind and rain dictated the run game today. Not to mention the ducks Shitzpatrick was throwing today.

HIs TD passes to chandler and stevie were both great throws. Chandlers was a thing of beauty, literally inches above the LB's outstretched hand and threaded the two dbacks. Best ball he has thrown all year at the perfect time.

Now only if he could do that consistently, the way our defense is swarming these last three games, we could've made a run here......

Yeah, the thing about Spiller is that more than any player on this squad, he gives defensive coordinators nightmares and absolutely has to be gameplanned for.

That being the case, keep him on the field even when his number isn't gonna be called. Line him up or motion him wide and have him scratch his knuts for all I care.

His very presence opens things up for others.

The Jaguars are barely an NFL team and the Bills beat them in awful weather. I don't think anybody should read too much into it. Spiller was still severely underused. Chan hasn't learned a thing.

Well, despite the theory that Chan eliminated the check-down options, someone was calling about 40 running plays and only

17 pass attempts.

But you are probably right, this one game is more likely an anomaly and Chan will go back to passing the ball like he had Tom Brady back there.

We will see.

Pretty sure the weather had a lot to do with the amount of running plays. The Jags could not pass as well as they have the last few games due to 40 mph winds and pouring rain. The weather conditions favored our play style.

Yep.

If Chan has proven anything in 3 years, it's that he's:

1) Stubborn

2) Incapable of seeing Fitz's weaknesses

3) Going to play to play matchups instead of dictating the flow of the game

Next time a defense stacks the box, he will be back to 35-40 throws.

Personally, I think St Louis is going to be ugly.

One thing I noticed immediately yesterday was the speed difference between Spiller and Fred. When Fred broke through the line, he didn't accelerate any more, and just kept running and powering his way through the defenders that were easily catching him, but then when spiller had the ball, especially on his TD run, he turned the corner and was gone. For the first time, it seems we really did use the change of pace backs as a compliment to eachother. Spiller on a few more plays would have been nice, but it did seem to work well overall.