Bravo, Bucky

birdog1960

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

this article has been written many times but by different writers and have been done so the last 30 years. Ralph has never been the beloved owner of the Bills from even the early days that I can remember ( 1970's). I do not disagree with the article in anyways and I think if Ralph really cared he would sell a portion of the team to show there is a REAL succession plan that might than be able to get a decent coach and GM to come here and lead us from this.

http://www.buffalonews.com/Article/20121126/SPORTS/121129342/two-bills-drive. Brave, timely, truthful and beautifully written.

As states, nothing new here. If I go back and read my post here, I'll find the same exact argument. Sadly, many on this board have a defeatist attitude and feel like we OWE him for keepin this team here when in fact he OWES us, the taxpayers of Erie County and the fans who buy tickets for helping make his $25,000 investment into an $800m asset, which is all he sees it as... An asset for his heirs. F this guy for all its worth. Someday, when theyre gone becausw of him, those that hold him in high regard will see the error of their way.

amateurish. a lot of people on this board have written the same words. the bills suck and wilson is incompetent. what a revelation. but i guess he was a genius when he won the two afl championships in 64-65, when bucky gleason was in his mother's womb? -- but bucky of course he had a beat on the team then, too. and Wilson must have also been an incompetent fool during the unprecedented superbowl runs. Oh i forgot, that was all Polian.

but whatever, bucky gleason, you are one of the most prominent NFL writers in America, and should pontificate on what owners are worthy of the hall of fame. we should ask him to give a few lectures on the subject and find out how much he knows about the AFL. My guess is next to nothing. You don't see real journalists like Mark Gaughan writing stuff like this because they actually know the history of the game -- they've read about their subjects and actually have a working knowledge of the sport, and the history of the sport. Bucky Gleason only has a working knowledge of how to eat KFC and doughnuts.

IN OTHER WORDS: Bucky Gleason is an amateur columnist and he's lucky he punched his meal ticket and got tenure at the TBN. His MO is to criticize ruthlessly all players, owners, and coaches in the city of buffalo. it's great schtick, really... it is. keep it up Bucky. Tell the 94 year old guy he's not fit to breathe air... doesn't deserve any accolades. you're such an edgy journalist because you have the balls to criticize a guy practically on his death bed. i'm sure you will inspire a whole generation of sports journalists... you are certainly inspiring many the readers on this board... mostly all amateurs, those amateurs whose words you almost perfectly echo!

Edited by MarkKelso'sHelmet

3 words which pretty much summarize every column written by Sully and the Buckster.

This is true, but it's not like it doesn't need to be said.

I don't know who has Ralph's ear, but whoever it is needs to drive this home to him. As much as Ralph has done to keep football in Buffalo, it's time for him to give up the reins. Like Bucky said, bringing back Polian would be a start, but I don't know if that will happen. Bill wants to get back in the game, but does he hold a grudge to Ralph? Who knows...

amateurish. a lot of people on this board have written the same words. the bills suck and wilson is incompetent. what a revelation. but i guess he was a genius when he won the two afl championships in 64-65, when bucky gleason was in his mother's womb? -- but i guess he had a beat on the team then, too. and he was also an incompetent fool during the unprecedented superbowl runs.

but whatever, bucky gleason, you are one of the most prominent NFL writers in America, and should pontificate on what owners are worthy of the hall of fame. we should ask him to give a few lectures on the subject and find out how much he knows about the AFL. Bucky Gleason is an amateur columnist and he's lucky he punched his meal ticket and got tenure at the TBN. His MO is to ruthlessly criticize all players, owners, and coaches in the city of buffalo. it's great schtick, really... it is. keep it up Bucky. Tell the 94 year old guy he's not fit to breathe air... doesn't deserve any accolades. you're such an edgy journalist because you have the balls to criticize a guy practically on his death bed. i'm sure you will inspire a whole generation of sports journalists... you are certainly inspiring many the readers on this board...

from the article:

Wilson has done some good things for Buffalo. The Bills have been great for this community. He kept them here when he could have moved them. It's true, but that shouldn't equate to a free pass or lowered standards. Simply having an NFL team in town isn't enough unless you're a sucker and looking for a copout.

You realize you went back 48 and 20 years respectively to defend Wilson right? He wasn't overly harsh or critical in this article, see my quote above. He spoke a lot of truth. People really need to stop harping on the press that writes things like this. As painful as they are to see they are more accurate then inaccurate. All of the vitriol every time they write something negative and never a hey they got that one right. Hey he got this one right.

Just because Wilson is old and been the owner forever it does not excuse the sub standard product he has delivered. Do I respect and appreciate him? You bet I do. Do I think he is to blame for many of these teams woes? You bet I do. Why is he free from criticism for you?

I don't disagree with anything you've written, and I've said and thought myself that the Bills product won't improve until after Wilson is gone. Maybe he'll get lucky and the team will suddenly turn around, but it will be inspite of him, not because of of him. He's a bad owner now, that is true beyond a doubt. He's not free from criticism from me.

But how Bucky can, in a column, make an argument that Wilson isn't worthy of the HoFame -- to say it is a joke, well that upsets me because I don't respect his knowledge of the game and I don't respect him as a journalist. I guarantee he doesn't know anything about the History of the game. That's because sports journalism is all schtick to Bucky, he's looking to write incendiary things to make a big splash in the small media market that is Buffalo. He's a bad sports journalist and I've always thought so.

Wilson is a bad owner now, of course, but Bucky wants to take it a step further and call his whole life as a football owner into question when with at least 60% of it he doesn't know a thing about it. That's what amateurs do.

Just because Wilson is old and been the owner forever it does not excuse the sub standard product he has delivered. Do I respect and appreciate him? You bet I do. Do I think he is to blame for many of these teams woes? You bet I do. Why is he free from criticism for you?

Edited by MarkKelso'sHelmet

Ralph Wilson is one of the Crown Jewels of WNY.....we are lucky to have had him.....

what has bucky ever built ?....NOTHING !!!.....

it's so easy to tear someone or something down.....a little harder to build something.

i suppose, if you consider tanzanite a precious stone.

This is no different than what many post here. All it is, is someone calling for Ralph's demise and for Polian to come back in some capacity.

I will give him credit for typing it publicly. But it's really no different is all.

the difference is a matter of scale. tbn circulation is 150,000 and i'll bet one bills drive reads it.

While Wilson should be lauded for keeping the team in Buffalo when he could have moved it elsewhere that is not something I consider so extraordinary. With the exception of maybe a half-dozen franchises the rest of the teams in the league would benefit financially from a move to let's say the often cited Los Angeles market. So is doing something that about 26 other owners are doing so special?

What Bucky fails to say is that winning is not a current priority of ownership and perhaps has never been one. To want to win you've got to be committted to it and have a passion for the game (see Sabres new ownership as an example). I get the sense that Mr. Wilson has a passion for the business of football but not necessarily the game on the field. After all, his in my view, deserved hall of fame induction was based on his contribution to the business end of the game, making the AFL and the merger with the NFL, rather than the success of his team on the field.

Unfortunately, Bills fans are stuck with the current situation, which I fear means perpetual mediocrity, until there is a change in ownership which of course will also raise the relocation issue.