FJ's back, but CJ's the starter this week

l< j

C.J. Spiller, however, will remain the starting running back and take "a majority" of carries this week, according to the head coach (via CBS Sports' Mark Ludwiczak).

http://www.buffaloru...spiller-starter

quoting this tweet: https://twitter.com/...296483570094080

Re-reading, it's not clear where the starter declaration came from. Just don't shoot the messenger.

kj

Edit: Here is the tweet that quotes Gailey saying CJ starts this week:

Full quote from Gailey (Part 1): "C.J. will start, but we’re still going to play Fred. It takes two, it does. ... "
Edited by l< j

The guard has already changed, imo. It started last year when Freddie got injured and CJ blossomed, and continued this year.

Wonder if we'll see any griping from Freddie about not being the "starter" again (which in all fairness to our man Fred was blown way out of proportion by the offseason media).

But CodeMonkey is right, it doesn't matter who the "starter" is.

IMO, the way Chan has used Fred and CJ all season is the absolute wrong way to use 2 backs. I love Fred, but the reality is he's older and slower than CJ. Since week 1, CJ should be the starter and get the majority of snaps and Freddie comes in to spell him as needed. In that way, your young, fast back is on the field and then you rest him with a hard hitting, more than capable, fresh set of legs. Freddie's wear and tear is minimized and CJ's speed is maximized as he can get into a good flow for the game.

How many times has FJ been literally knocked out this year and last? Don't get me wrong, he is tough as hell and I love me some FJ but concussions are cumulative and he is on the wrong side of 30. Just something that needs to be considered.

I don't get this concept of dictating number of touches. The game situations should be the biggest factor. Each man is better suited for particular plays. If you're running a HB dive up the middle you probably want to give that to Fred. A sweep you'd give to CJ. If the situation calls for plays that Fred runs, that's the call. If it's a CJ play you make that call. That's how we ran the NE game, the offense was fine, and the RBs carried the offense.

The only thing that should change is that instead of Choice coming it will be Freddy, which is a significant improvement, especially the way Choice ran during the Miami game.

Freddy is a smart man, and I don't think he will begrudge the rotation. In the past, I think part of his concerned stem from not having a contract extension. Now that he is set financially, I think he will settle into whatever is best for the team.

The guard has already changed, imo. It started last year when Freddie got injured and CJ blossomed, and continued this year.

Wonder if we'll see any griping from Freddie about not being the "starter" again (which in all fairness to our man Fred was blown way out of proportion by the offseason media).

But CodeMonkey is right, it doesn't matter who the "starter" is.

Doubt it. Fred's not that kind of guy, and Buddy "showed him the money" in the offseason. FredEx should be happy to be contributing and trying to help this team make a playoff push.

http://www.buffaloru...spiller-starter

quoting this tweet: https://twitter.com/...296483570094080

Re-reading, it's not clear where the starter declaration came from. Just don't shoot the messenger.

kj

Edit: Here is the tweet that quotes Gailey saying CJ starts this week: https://twitter.com/...303912647163904

Chan doesn't know what he wants. All the starter here means is that player will be on the field for the first play. Whomever is hot, will play more, if it isn't evenly split. If Fred comes out and plays like he did against New England two weeks ago before he got hurt, he won't leave the field much.

I disagree with this decision. As much of a "coming out party" as the Miami game was supposed to be for CJ I was less impressed with him than I was the rest of the season. We clearly need both backs. Fred should be the every down back with CJ being the compliment to him. That is when CJ has been at his best, and has the most capability of breaking the big ones. There were several times in the Miami game where I felt as though Fred was missing big time. Especially the idiotic situations where Spiller came out of the game inside the redzone every time.

I disagree with this decision. As much of a "coming out party" as the Miami game was supposed to be for CJ I was less impressed with him than I was the rest of the season. We clearly need both backs. Fred should be the every down back with CJ being the compliment to him. That is when CJ has been at his best, and has the most capability of breaking the big ones. There were several times in the Miami game where I felt as though Fred was missing big time. Especially the idiotic situations where Spiller came out of the game inside the redzone every time.

Spillers coming out party was week 1 after Freddy got hurt. He had a less then steller performance against MIA and still had 130+ yds total. Thats not bad for the worst game hes had all yr.

I haven't seen any evidence that a declared starter at RB means anything.

You dont know football.

IMO, the way Chan has used Fred and CJ all season is the absolute wrong way to use 2 backs. I love Fred, but the reality is he's older and slower than CJ. Since week 1, CJ should be the starter and get the majority of snaps and Freddie comes in to spell him as needed. In that way, your young, fast back is on the field and then you rest him with a hard hitting, more than capable, fresh set of legs. Freddie's wear and tear is minimized and CJ's speed is maximized as he can get into a good flow for the game.

Well said.

I'm sick of hearing this crap.

One is probably the most dynamic player in the game. One is an old mutha**** guy who **** fumbles too many mutha**** times.

So for the last time. Cj is in his prime. You play him hard and when he is gassed from his 50 yard dashes, then you put the ground and pound guy and hope he doesn fumble!!!

If this happened 9 weeks earlier, we might be sitting on 2 more wins...

Probably more than just 2 more wins.

Spillers coming out party was week 1 after Freddy got hurt. He had a less then steller performance against MIA and still had 130+ yds total. Thats not bad for the worst game hes had all yr.

Well said, and again, against a very solid run stopping defense in Miami.

I think far too much is made of this. With his most recent TD run, Freddie showed us he's still got the ability to break big plays by finding space nobody knew was there. No, he's not as fast as CJ, but he's got zen-master ways of making defenders whiff. If CJ were to get hurt, I bet we would see Freddie dominating games again. So I don't really care who they give the ball to. We have two amazing RBs. Hooray for us.

I think far too much is made of this. With his most recent TD run, Freddie showed us he's still got the ability to break big plays by finding space nobody knew was there. No, he's not as fast as CJ, but he's got zen-master ways of making defenders whiff. If CJ were to get hurt, I bet we would see Freddie dominating games again. So I don't really care who they give the ball to. We have two amazing RBs. Hooray for us.

If only they where the focal point of the offense instead of mediocre qb throwing to a mediocre group of receivers