My week 10 report on Mario

jonramz

On the link I have every Dolphin offensive play charted with pass rushers and a quick note a +/*/- grade on Mario. I also lead off with my thoughts on Mario which I've copied and pasted below

The past couple weeks, Mario Williams has been looking a lot better to me. I don’t know if it is the wrist or he’s getting more comfortable, but he definitely looks better than he did at the beginning of the season. I think it is important to understand what you get with Mario Williams. He is a very good run defender. Most teams run away from him, seriously, teams avoid his side. When they do run at him, it is usually cut back or a short gain. He holds his position very well and is excellent at setting the edge. I did not see him on the ground once against the Dolphins. Regarding his pass rushing… he is a power rusher. Von Miller and DeMarcus Ware are outstanding speed rushers. Mario will never do what those guys do, but he is very powerful, much more like Julius Peppers or a poor man’s Reggie White. I think Mario’s upside talent level is Reggie’s… he is so powerful and he had a club move against the Dolphins that was classic Reggie White. You just don't see it all the time, which is disappointing But I would expect Mario to be a consistent 10-12 sack guy when healthy.

Complete log here --> http://yardsperpass.com/?p=159

Comments/Questions always appreciated.

-Jon

On the link I have every Dolphin offensive play charted with pass rushers and a quick note a +/*/- grade on Mario. I also lead off with my thoughts on Mario which I've copied and pasted below

The past couple weeks, Mario Williams has been looking a lot better to me. I don’t know if it is the wrist or he’s getting more comfortable, but he definitely looks better than he did at the beginning of the season. I think it is important to understand what you get with Mario Williams. He is a very good run defender. Most teams run away from him, seriously, teams avoid his side. When they do run at him, it is usually cut back or a short gain. He holds his position very well and is excellent at setting the edge. I did not see him on the ground once against the Dolphins. Regarding his pass rushing… he is a power rusher. Von Miller and DeMarcus Ware are outstanding speed rushers. Mario will never do what those guys do, but he is very powerful, much more like Julius Peppers or a poor man’s Reggie White. I think Mario’s upside talent level is Reggie’s… he is so powerful and he had a club move against the Dolphins that was classic Reggie White. You just don't see it all the time, which is disappointing But I would expect Mario to be a consistent 10-12 sack guy when healthy.

-Jon

As a less knowledgeable fan, what does a "club move" refer to? Just curious.

-Jon

Great stuff. FA in the NFL is fool's gold. football doesn't work like other sports when you can just plug in guys and they magically become great. It takes time to gel as a unit. I still love the Mario move and have high hopes for him and this defense. There is too much talent for them to be as bad as they have been. Unfortunately for impatient fans, it does take time.

As a less knowledgeable fan, what does a "club move" refer to? Just curious.

This is what they really need to bring back:

Great stuff. FA in the NFL is fool's gold. football doesn't work like other sports when you can just plug in guys and they magically become great. It takes time to gel as a unit. I still love the Mario move and have high hopes for him and this defense. There is too much talent for them to be as bad as they have been. Unfortunately for impatient fans, it does take time.

I'm not surprised the D started slowly, with the number of new pieces and other pieces moved along with a new coordinator/scheme. Add in the injuries, family tragedies, and rookies learning on the job and you get an incohesive mess. I fully expect continued improvement for this unit as the season progresses. This is one more reason to be optimistic that we can make a run.

I'm not surprised the D started slowly, with the number of new pieces and other pieces moved along with a new coordinator/scheme. Add in the injuries, family tragedies, and rookies learning on the job and you get an incohesive mess. I fully expect continued improvement for this unit as the season progresses. This is one more reason to be optimistic that we can make a run.

Let the heroic run to 7-9 begin!!! :w00t: But I agree 100%. Hopefully, this is the start of something great. It is a very young group.

Thanks for the analysis and post. Really good to see Mario beginning to exert himself in this defense. Couldn't come at a better time, as the Bills face offenses ranked in the bottom third of the league for most of the rest of the season.

In the last three games two things have happened producing a new result.. First Mario's wrist has been fixed which has resulted in better play from Mario. Next McKelvin replaced Williams that resulted in better DB play. We played two highly potent offenses, Houston and NE, on the road and one inept offense, Miami, at home. Houston's defense outplayed our offense and we lost but were competitive against the team many think will be in the AFC championship game. We could have won the NE game and that came down to the last play. In the NE game our defense was respectable against one of the league's best offenses that came off a bye week. The following week, we dominated Miami in everything but the score.

If Gilmore and McKelvin continue to improve the defensive line will get better. If the defensive line gets better the DBs will start getting some INTs. Good things ahead and it is our turn for some good luck and we will win in INDY.

Edited by jumbalaya

Really good stuff. What I found interesting was that the pass rush was 4 guys almost the whole time. A few 5's shown and a 6 near the end, but almost always 4. I assume that was always the front 4, no stunts with a DE staying back and an LB going in or anything like that.

thanks for taking the time to chart this

encouraging to see good things from him

as you point out he's an 8-sack guy who holds down his side of the line and the fans what an 18-sack guy

i'd rather have jj watt obviously but hey mario is at a level where he would still be an improvement for just about every nfl team which is something most bills players cant say

-Jon

Excellent analysis. People just keep on evaluating him by sacks and that's way too narrow measure. Point about staying upright/keeping his balance is EXTREMELY important and IMO the most overlooked attribute in football; defender not much good on the ground. He'll never lead the league in sacks but he'll consistently be in high single digits/low double , while delivering the run support/area coverage you point out. Complete player; my only wish he'd get those long arms up more often and knock some passes down

Has the D-Line really been that bad?

We are 16th in the league in sacks with 24 sacks and we blitz the LEAST amount in the league.(Just about all of those sacks are from a 4 man rush) IMO, Wannstedts lack of creativity/old style of defense has been the biggest reason for why the defense has been so bad.

Its the run defense thats pathetic and IMO the weak LB unit is the culprit. The front 4 will always be outnumbered vs 5 Onlinemen, TE, FB, etc. Watch the better 4-3 defenses like bears and how its the LBs that are making the run stuffing tackles.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack