My week 10 report on Mario

jonramz

In the last three games two things have happened producing a new result.. First Mario's wrist has been fixed which has resulted in better play from Mario. Next McKelvin replaced Williams that resulted in better DB play. We played two highly potent offenses, Houston and NE, on the road and one inept offense, Miami, at home. Houston's defense outplayed our offense and we lost but were competitive against the team many think will be in the AFC championship game. We could have won the NE game and that came down to the last play. In the NE game our defense was respectable against one of the league's best offenses that came off a bye week. The following week, we dominated Miami in everything but the score.

If Gilmore and McKelvin continue to improve the defensive line will get better. If the defensive line gets better the DBs will start getting some INTs. Good things ahead and it is our turn for some good luck and we will win in INDY.

I think the increased playing time for Moore and Searcy has also helped the defense.

Its the run defense thats pathetic and IMO the weak LB unit is the culprit. The front 4 will always be outnumbered vs 5 Onlinemen, TE, FB, etc. Watch the better 4-3 defenses like bears and how its the LBs that are making the run stuffing tackles.

Yeah...all the Bills need to do is bring back Maybin, as you've suggested -- he was always a great run stuffer.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

I think the main thing that charting for this game did for me was confirm a few things I had been thinking.

1) The Bills are very basic when it comes to rushing the passer, very little blitzing or stunting. Take what you will from that.

2) Mario is an extremely strong individual and it shows

3) Mario is a power DE and is so much different from the Aldon Smith, Ware, Von Miller type players that expecting him to do those kind of things is silly

4) I would love to see Mario work on an effective speed rush, because if he could get guys to not concentrate so much on his power rush he would be even more deadly

5) He is a complete DE and definitely one of the top power DE's in the league

-Jon

Thanks for the comments everyone.

I think the main thing that charting for this game did for me was confirm a few things I had been thinking.

1) The Bills are very basic when it comes to rushing the passer, very little blitzing or stunting. Take what you will from that.

2) Mario is an extremely strong individual and it shows

3) Mario is a power DE and is so much different from the Aldon Smith, Ware, Von Miller type players that expecting him to do those kind of things is silly

4) I would love to see Mario work on an effective speed rush, because if he could get guys to not concentrate so much on his power rush he would be even more deadly

5) He is a complete DE and definitely one of the top power DE's in the league

-Jon

i think you touch on a lot that this board didnt really realize about him - hes very complete in his game, in my opinion. hes not just a get up the field guy, like most DEs that people think of (not to say all those named are poor in the run). He might be a half step back in his pass rush ability from those ELITE names, but hes certainly a top end pass rusher, and hes also great against the run.

im really hopeful that with his wrist seemingly on track, and an extra couple days off this week that he continues to grow into the role

I still say to cover for the flaws in our LB core, we should blitz more.... four man rush is not effective in todays or yesterdays NFL with two good DE and two Disruptive tackles....

we have one DE ...Although Moore is on the come up....

we have one DT ...Almost Dareus shows flashes....

our LB core is average at best...during games you dont ever hear about them making plays...we need to give them a chance...