Ryan Tannehill

bills44

I remember listening to Mike Lombardi & others before the draft - consensus seemed to be that Miami was the only team who really liked him & that he was more of a 3rd/4th round pick, even though he has the physical tools.

Sounds kinda familiar. I think he's Losman II.

part of me had that gut feeling. that if he was going to succeed it would have to be the right spot - with a familiar coach, decent weather and a better chance at continuity with it being the new staff down there (qb and coaches should have 2-3 years together there, maybe not if he were here) seemed like his best shot. even if in a few years hindsight shows he succeeds in miami, i dont know that he was a safe bet for many others at the time.

And people want to draft a 1st round QB? Odds are you get no better than Tannehill. I'd rather have Fitz than Tannehill.

i just.... i just dont know what to say.

part of me had that gut feeling. that if he was going to succeed it would have to be the right spot - with a familiar coach, decent weather and a better chance at continuity with it being the new staff down there (qb and coaches should have 2-3 years together there, maybe not if he were here) seemed like his best shot. even if in a few years hindsight shows he succeeds in miami, i dont know that he was a safe bet for many others at the time.

i just.... i just dont know what to say.

Not sure what's so shocking about that. It is an absolute crap shoot to draft a 1st round QB. Unless you're drafting in the top-5--and even then--there is a strong likelihood you're going to get a bust that you have to live with and play for 3 years before dumping and starting over.

Tanehill will never be better than Matt Moore for those guys. Maybe you roll the dice, but Fins' fans would much prefer to have Moore.

Not sure what's so shocking about that. It is an absolute crap shoot to draft a 1st round QB. Unless you're drafting in the top-5--and even then--there is a strong likelihood you're going to get a bust that you have to live with and play for 3 years before dumping and starting over.

Tanehill will never be better than Matt Moore for those guys. Maybe you roll the dice, but Fins' fans would much prefer to have Moore.

heres the thing - even the "i guess they didnt pan out group" would have us in the same spot as fitz, but if you hit on one, its a total game changer. you could say any position can bust, and they will, but that doesnt mean we should stick with our current qb that would be considered a bust if drafted higher.

Matt Moore owned us last year. Luckily, the Dolphins believe Tannehill is better. He's not.

In fairness, Talleywacker has a chance to be much better than Moore.

8th pick overall. Unless its a Luck or RG3 , the 1st round is no guarantee.

In fairness, Talleywacker's resume probably didn't warrant him being taken at #8.

Like Sanchez, Clocker, Gabbert, Ponder, etc Talleywacker was probably overdrafted.

Such is the market for quarterbacks these days.

I'm happy that Miami has Tannehill. He looks like the next Jason Campbell to me. In other words, he is not going to be a "special" QB. He will be decent...have some games where he throws 350 yds and a couple TD's...but for the most part he looks like an average NFL QB and that my friends is fine with me. I'm actually hoping that Buffalo takes a stud LB with their first round pick and rolls the dice on a 2nd round QB.

Agreed Fitz ain't great but having watched The litany of names the bills have invested inth least sixteen years only to see each set the franchise back when he fails. . . I am not eager to force a QB pick that isn't ready to play.

Agreed Fitz ain't great but having watched The litany of names the bills have invested inth least sixteen years only to see each set the franchise back when he fails. . . I am not eager to force a QB pick that isn't ready to play.

Rather stick with one you know isn't? Every year we don't pull the trigger is a year back. I agree about not forcing it but at somepoint you have to pull the trigger.

He didn't really get a fair shake on Thursday. Rookie with 1 day practice on the road vs a defense he has never seen before. Then he has no running game or pass protection to help him out. Not exactly set up to succeed.

Still, I thought he made some good throws and didn't panic in the pocket. I think the next game at Miami with a full practice week will be a better indication of what he can do vs Buffalo.

heres the thing - even the "i guess they didnt pan out group" would have us in the same spot as fitz, but if you hit on one, its a total game changer. you could say any position can bust, and they will, but that doesnt mean we should stick with our current qb that would be considered a bust if drafted higher.

I don't understand the instant and premature analysis of Tannehill. He is a rookie qb who even in college didn't have a lot of qb playing time. What he does have are tools that will give him a chance to be good. The Bills have a qb with physical limitations (arm strength) and a below par inaccuarcy level that will always be part of his game. To simply state it as a franchise qb he is at best mediocre. And that is a generous assessment!

As it stands I would gladly trade Fitz for Tannehill even up. But that would never happen because the Phins would never go for such a lop-sided trade not favoring him. Fitz is going into his eighth season. He is what he is. Tannehill is a rookie with the potential for a lot of upside. Fitz has absolutely no upside. What you see is what you get i.e. a smart, heady qb who is inaccurate and can't make the full range of throws.

If the Bills draft a qb in the first round next year that doesn't mean that the qb is going to be instantly good. There is a learning cureve that takes time to master. No one in next year's draft or possibly in the draft for the next decade will be as good as Luck or RGII. The qbs that we will be selecting from will be in the Tannehill class.

I have said it on a number of postings so I apologize for the repetition but Buddy Nix set this franchise back when he passed on drafting Dalton in the second round a couple of years ago for a CB, Aaron Williams. Dalton is not going to be an all-pro qb. But he is a legitimate starting franchise qb; Fitz is not. So for us the qb search continues instead of already having the most important position on the field resolved.

Edited by JohnC

Rather stick with one you know isn't? Every year we don't pull the trigger is a year back. I agree about not forcing it but at somepoint you have to pull the trigger.

I hear you but since JK we have spent high picks on Collins Losman Edwards and traded number ones for Bledsoe, Johnson as well as free agent signings of others.

Out of those last sixteen years and a lot of investment Fitz is the best of the bunch.

The draft is a crapshoot. Would you trade three more years of rebuilding for a fifty percent chance of getting a starting quality QB and a much lower chance of getting an elite one? We have a non elite starter right now. We could do better but we could (and have) do much worse. Tannehill may be the second coming of Marino but statistically he is at least fifty percent likely to wash out over the next few years. Luck and RGIII he is definitely not.

I will take getting this team to competitive right now than continuing the cycle of "maybe the next one will be great"

I hear you but since JK we have spent high picks on Collins Losman Edwards and traded number ones for Bledsoe, Johnson as well as free agent signings of others.

Out of those last sixteen years and a lot of investment Fitz is the best of the bunch.

The draft is a crapshoot. Would you trade three more years of rebuilding for a fifty percent chance of getting a starting quality QB and a much lower chance of getting an elite one? We have a non elite starter right now. We could do better but we could (and have) do much worse. Tannehill may be the second coming of Marino but statistically he is at least fifty percent likely to wash out over the next few years. Luck and RGIII he is definitely not.

I will take getting this team to competitive right now than continuing the cycle of "maybe the next one will be great"

If you draft a qb with a first round pick or second round pick and the prospect doesn't work out, then so what? You can make the same claim that drafting any player at any position is a risk. That's the nature of the business. It's like playing at a high stakes poker game and stating that you don't want to risk losing money. If you don't want to risk money then get your rear end away from the gambling table and play checkers with the old timers.

The lower the round you draft a qb the lower your odds are of securing yourself a good qb. We have drafted CBs, LBs, OL, WRs at high draft positions without having them all work out. When that happens you can't freeze. You simply try again to address a need.

If you assess teams that win they usually have a common thread: they have good qbs. The Bills will never have a serious team until they have a quality starting qb. They currently don't have that caliber of qb. The argument that Nix and others make that you shouldn't draft a qb until you upgrade the roster makes no sense. You can draft a talented prospect and have that player learn the game before the ball turned over to the young qb. That is exactly what happened to Rogers in Green Bay. Buddy Nix has been at the helm for three years. The roster has mostly been turned over. Anyone who watches the games realizes that this franchise is not going anywhere until the most important position on the roster is dramatically upgraded. Isn't a generation long enough not having a competent qb at the helm who will give your team a reasonable chance to compete?