RIP King - needed to put him asleep last night

BillsWatch

Some of you know of my dog King who as a youngster jumped fences and need to be Lojacked (chipped) so we could recover him. Last night he threw up two twice and then went to his area. Later on I found him laying down and not moving even when I talked to him so i thought he had a stroke. My family took him to emergency vet clinic and was told he was extremely anemic from internal bleeding and had a large mass inside him most likely cancer and prognosis was not good at all even with treatment. We were also told he was in a lot of pain. He had not made a sound during ordeal and just kept looking at us with his big eyes. We reviewed treatment options and none would help him much nor give him much chance of survival. Vet told me if her 11 year old lab had same symptoms she would put it to sleep. After much thought and consideration we had our dog put to sleep then euthanized.

This is second dog this has happened to us with (2 of 2). I was told it is very common issue with dogs at this age but it does not make it easier. I know we gave him a lot of years since adopting him from stray save organization but it does not make it easier.

Goodbye my friend.

Almost the exact same circumstances for us c. 2008. My little guy who we'd had from the very start --- I picked him up off the ground when his mother gave birth to him outside and then walked away and made like she didn't want anything to do with him. We kept him for 12 great years. Then a large abdominal mass and had to do right by him, and stayed with him and told him he was a good boy even as the vet slipped the needle in. It literally broke my heart, and then hardened it. Didn't want another dog. Looking back, I was very moody and angry a lot. And then some drunk dude walked into our house... just walked in while I was alone. And that was it, we were getting another dog after about three years. And I've written it here before and I'll write it again. Waiting was the stupidest thing. The hurt doesn't go away and the new can't replace the old, but as the vet said, there is time in life to have maybe six dogs (through long experience I've discovered that one at a time is enough) and they all teach you something different... a big thing. One will teach you Loyalty and Honor. Another will teach Strength and Endurance. Or Patience and Gentleness. Et cetera. So certainly take some time to grieve... but don't take too long. We've all got too much to learn from them.

Very sorry to hear that, BW...you were smart to post about it here. When I lost my little guy in February I was truly devastated. Knowing that so many people here on TBD were not only dog lovers, but also had experienced the very same pain, really helped me through it. The pain is typically intense enough that it really does make you wonder if it was even worth it....but it is, and it was. Sounds like you gave King a damn good life. You went the responsible route and got him chipped in order to protect him from himself, and that was awesome. You were there to help him in his time of need, and you were there by his side until the end. You'll never forget those last few moments, but you'll change the way you look at them.

At first, the last thing I wanted to do was get another dog. But a few months later, a good friend of mine started talking about getting one for herself. So I sort of cheated...I encouraged her and promised her I'd help raise him the right way, and not long after that she came home with a little furry guy. Over the last few months I have been very active with his upbringing. We got him housebroken in no time, taught him a few tricks, instilled in him some confidence, etc. He's become my new little buddy and I really couldn't imagine not being around him. I don't feel at all like I've replaced the little friend I lost, in fact just the opposite. I feel like I'm honoring my dog by taking care of another furry friend just as I took care of him.

Now I'm not going to lie to you....as I'm typing this and thinking about February, it hurts quite a bit. But even with the pain I still wouldn't change a damn thing. The whole idea of "it's better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all" sounds like total bulllshit when you're in the thick of the pain....but I promise you it holds true in the end.

Hang in there, brother

Edited by ajzepp

I'm sorry for your loss - I know exactly how that goes. We literally lost 3 dogs in an 18 month span and two of them were to cancer. It sucks.

The only thing that heals the hurt is adding back to the family. When we lost Auslese, I called the state Doberman rescue from the vet's office and asked them if they had any females available. They brought us a dog that afternoon. It was almost like a miracle for my family and Molly has turned out to be the most grateful dog ever.

There's a scared dog at a shelter somewhere just waiting for you to show up and give them a chance at a great life. You both deserve that and King would be happy to know you paid homage to him.

I'm sorry for your loss - I know exactly how that goes. We literally lost 3 dogs in an 18 month span and two of them were to cancer. It sucks.

The only thing that heals the hurt is adding back to the family. When we lost Auslese, I called the state Doberman rescue from the vet's office and asked them if they had any females available. They brought us a dog that afternoon. It was almost like a miracle for my family and Molly has turned out to be the most grateful dog ever.

There's a scared dog at a shelter somewhere just waiting for you to show up and give them a chance at a great life. You both deserve that and King would be happy to know you paid homage to him.

+1000Great Post D.

I want a new pet now!

Excellent post Darin. Very nice way to honor a "family member" of the four-legged variety

BW, so sorry for your loss and having to make that tough decision.

BillsWatch, Im so very sorry for your loss. It's never easy, but it sounds like King got a lot of love, and gave a lot of love. Hope you feel better soon.

This exactly.