Steve Mariucci sees bright future for Fitzpatrick in Buffalo

HOUSE

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know why exactly we picked up Tarvaris Jackson at the end of August? He has no chance of helping the team this year (I don't think he's been active for a single game) so all it means is that we might have him as a backup to Fitz next year. Or maybe not even. Hardly worth a draft pick, even a 7th rounder.

I'm thinking that we will draft a QB early. We will cut Fitz to save a ton of money and we will have T Jax, Thigpen and Smith fighting for the #2 and #3 spots behind the Rookie.

Not saying Fitz is the answer, I want a new QB in the mix.... but some random rookie QB would be hard pressed to put up the stats that Fitz has so far this season. Fitz's numbers are better than 3-6 on almost every other team. If we had an average defense the record would be better.

No offense but why do people keep saying this? A rookie is only a rookie once. You don't draft a rookie for just one season. He would be a QB more than his rookie year, so who cares how a "rookies" stats compare to fitzs this years because its not about one year. And why do people focus on his stats this year in the first place because he padded those stats in blow out losses garbage time and also literally lost multiple games for us this year.

Personally I don't care if fitz has a perfect rating the entire game if it just means he folds when the game is on the line at the end. He's a proven QB...proven to be inconsistent, inaccurate, mistake prone, and far too often comes up small when he has a chance to win a game.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Fitzpatrick is not a franchise quarterback by any means, but he is not really the issue with this team. The offense is 14th overall and his rating is a very respectable 87.5. He is having his best season in yards per attempt, completion percentage, and in overall QB rating, and is also on pace to throw 30 TDs (he has 17 through 9 games). Take a look around the league at some of the other QB situations (e.g., the Jets!!), and you'll see that the Bills' QB situation is simply not that bad. Another good receiver would help immensely. The real issue, as everyone knows (or should know), is a truly abysmal defense. It is allowing 410 ypg, which is the worst in team history by far (the previous worst was 371). Before casting more stones at Fitzpatrick, think about that for a moment.

Edited by dave mcbride

Not saying Fitz is the answer, I want a new QB in the mix.... but some random rookie QB would be hard pressed to put up the stats that Fitz has so far this season. Fitz's numbers are better than 3-6 on almost every other team. If we had an average defense the record would be better.

With Fitz it isn't just about numbers, when it gets to crunch time, he chokes almost every time-twice in the past 3 weeks. Also, as far as a rookie, yea maybe the first year he won't put up those numbers, Peyton Manning sure didn't, but they are only a rookie for the first year. You don't draft a QB high in the draft to QB your team for one year.

With Fitz it isn't just about numbers, when it gets to crunch time, he chokes almost every time-twice in the past 3 weeks. Also, as far as a rookie, yea maybe the first year he won't put up those numbers, Peyton Manning sure didn't, but they are only a rookie for the first year. You don't draft a QB high in the draft to QB your team for one year.

He only choked last week if you thought that Graham ran the right route. Someone choked on that play, and it wasn't the quarterback. He threw to where he expected the receiver to be (and where the receiver was supposed to be).

He only choked last week if you thought that Graham ran the right route. Someone choked on that play, and it wasn't the quarterback. He threw to where he expected the receiver to be (and where the receiver was supposed to be).

Even if you say he had 0% fault in that disaster, which I am not totally buying, he still chokes way too often when it counts. Giants wouldn't have won the Super Bowl last year if Fitz didn't hand them that game, they wouldn't have even made the playoffs. It is the same thing almost every week with Fitz, he plays pretty good for 90% of the game, with the exception of his half a dozen batted down balls and fumble or two, then at the end when the game is on the line, he throws a pick or fumbles again. I like Fitz, he has the heart of a Champion, but nowhere near the playing ability of one. Edited by BuffBill

Even if you say he had 0% fault in that disaster, which I am not totally buying, he still chokes way too often when it counts. Giants wouldn't have won the Super Bowl last year if Fitz didn't hand them that game, they wouldn't have even made the playoffs. It is the same thing almost every week with Fitz, he plays pretty good for 90% of the game, with the exception of his half a dozen batted down balls and fumble or two, then at the end when the game is on the line, he throws a pick or fumbles again. I like Fitz, he has the heart of a Champion, but nowhere near the playing ability of one.

Never said he was a great QB - only that the he's a very small problem in comparison to the Bills D, which is statistically the worst in team history. He's having a pretty solid season, actually, and if the Bills defense was average they'd probably be 5-4 right now.

Agreed. Probably not the long term solution, but with the Defense playing so bad it only makes matters worse

Listened to this last night and I just had to post ........

Posted by johnmurphyshow on November 14, 2012 – 8:30 pm

He was Brett Favre’s quarterback coach, when the future Hall of Famer arrived in Green Bay 20-years ago. And he was the Head Coach of the 49ers and the Lions.

NFL Network analyst Steve Mariucci has the credentials to talk about quarterback play in the league. And in an appearance Wednesday night on The John Murphy Show, Mariucci said the Bills Ryan Fitzpatrick has what it takes to lead the franchise into the future.

“He’s a very capable guy,” Mariucci said on the radio show. “He’s not one of those guys that a team should be looking to replace. He’s a solid starter. You can build a team around that guy with a run game, and add another receiver in the offseason, and I think they’ll be on the right track, there’s no doubt.”

Mariucci is in town as part of the NFL Network’s coverage of Thursday’s Bills-Dolphins matchup. He’ll be on the sidelines for the NFL Network’s Thursday Night Football pregame, halftime, and postgame shows. He’s also part of the network’s NFL GameDay Morning show on Sundays.

Mariucci was asked on The John Murphy Show whether the Bills Ryan Fitzpatrick has what it takes to be the team’s quarterback into the future.

“I think he’s got enough, with all the qualities physical and some intangible qualities,” he said. ” He’s a guy that you add to his weapons, and continue to build your team with the draft and maybe some free agent moves. I think he’s the guy to do it.”

The longtime NFL Coach also said he admires Fitzpatrick’s leadership skills and competitive fire.

“He’s a feisty guy. He’s had his share of excellent games, and he’s very smart and capable of putting successive plays together to get in the end zone. I like his spunk. He’s got a fiery personality that is contagious. There are games that he’d like to have some plays back, I’m sure. But he still has an 87 or so rating, which is respectable (87.5), and a decent percentage of completions–17 touchdowns.”

The John Murphy Show airs weeknights from 7-pm on the flagship station of the Bills, WGR Sports Radio 550.

http://blogs.buffalo...itz-with-bills/

We also need some freaking linebackers. TEO!!!!!

Never said he was a great QB - only that the he's a very small problem in comparison to the Bills D, which is statistically the worst in team history. He's having a pretty solid season, actually, and if the Bills defense was average they'd probably be 5-4 right now.

Which is why we need defensive first in the draft. The best LB available (Teo). I think many of Fitz's turnovers come as a result of him trying to play "outside" himself as he knows he needs to lead the offense to 30+ points a game in order to win w/ our putrid D. Also, it would help if Chan would call more running plays and not use the empty backfield on 3rd and 3.

He was worth a 7th...even as a backup for next year but definitely not more than that. Maybe that's why he was not activated, in order to keep it a 7th rounder not a 6th or higher.

ON the other hand Marshawn Lynch is a top-2 back in the NFL....That 4th rounder was definitely worth it for the Seahawks.

We also need some freaking linebackers. TEO!!!!!

Which is why we need defensive first in the draft. The best LB available (Teo). I think many of Fitz's turnovers come as a result of him trying to play "outside" himself as he knows he needs to lead the offense to 30+ points a game in order to win w/ our putrid D. Also, it would help if Chan would call more running plays and not use the empty backfield on 3rd and 3.

Good points. I am in complete agreement about our linebackers.

Average QB + Good RBs + Crap Defense = 3-6

Average QB + Good RBs + Average Defense = 6-3

If only the $100 million man truly changed things, or the vaunted Stache.

Since we're speculating......

Good QB + Good RBs + Crap Defense = 5-4

Good QB + Good RBs + Average Defense = 7-2

Good QB + Good RBs + Good Defense = 9-0

With Fitz its all about ball placement, IMO, we all know he cant throw it deep accurately, but in addition to that, on the short and intermediate routes he doesnt often put the ball in a place that allows the reciever to run after catch. Whether its low, behind, high, he rarely leads his reciever enough.

This point doesn't seem to get made much.....and to me seems patently obvious in most Bills games this season.

It makes me wonder how productive this Offense would look with a QB who puts the ball in a place that allows the recievers to run after the catch.

1) mooch is just saying what ive been telling the whiners for years, fitz is not elite but hes good enuf to win with. fans want the super qb or nuthin but they never fully remember how truly awful bad qbing can actually be

c) the tj situation isnt all that complicated. chuddy was obvious uncomfortable with thigpen as their only insurance once vince imploded so they spent a relative pittance on another policy. thiggy finally had a good performance his last preseason game but i still wouldnt want to rely on him to produce like fitz does. if fitz goes down then at least youd have legit competition for the starting job, which when you consider tigpens deficiencies that is key

Russ?...is that you???

This point doesn't seem to get made much.....and to me seems patently obvious in most Bills games this season.

It makes me wonder how productive this Offense would look with a QB who puts the ball in a place that allows the recievers to run after the catch.

Amen.