Texas, and others, are trying to check out.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Each state has "peacefully" asked to be removed from the United States of America so that they can create their own government. As of Monday evening, Texas has reached the threshold with over 32,000 votes. Louisiana has approximately 18,000 signatures and needs 7,000 more by December 7."

http://www.examiner....hold-signatures

Ok, so say they get enough signatures/votes. Then what? What happens when they refuse to cooperate with the Federal govt? Is anybody else as worried as I am?

Yeah, 32,000 people from across the country signing a petition on a pandering and completely meaningless web site, so some White House intern can type up a reply that essentially says "We feel your pain, but...no."

And that somehow amounts to the state petitioning for secession? :lol:

Yeah, 32,000 people from across the country signing a petition on a pandering and completely meaningless web site, so some White House intern can type up a reply that essentially says "We feel your pain, but...no."

Relax Tom...just throwing it out there for discussion. I don't think I ever said it was up for a congressional vote or it was a 'serious' movement. The petition is actually filed on whitehouse.gov. I suppose that's meaningless if you say so.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/peacefully-grant-state-texas-withdraw-united-states-america-and-create-its-own-new-government/BmdWCP8B

It's just not going to happen for them.

I was kind of being goofy. I know that there is only one road out built into the constitution. Let me know when people begin pulling out the maps for that roadtrip. Then I'll think about being worried.

We should come up with some crazy petition on that site. Something whacky, like making the "Shout" song the national anthem for a day or something. It will accomplish just as much.

Ok, so say they get enough signatures/votes. Then what? What happens when they refuse to cooperate with the Federal govt? Is anybody else as worried as I am?

Not so much about a state seceding. But to the opposite end, a potential 1 party system is terrifying...

Per Texas Sen-elect Cruz...

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2012/11/19/121119fa_fact_lizza?currentPage=all

“If Republicans do not do better in the Hispanic community,” he said, “in a few short years Republicans will no longer be the majority party in our state.” He ticked off some statistics: in 2004, George W. Bush won forty-four per cent of the Hispanic vote nationally; in 2008, John McCain won just thirty-one per cent. On Tuesday, Romney fared even worse.

“In not too many years, Texas could switch from being all Republican to all Democrat,” he said. “If that happens, no Republican will ever again win the White House. New York and California are for the foreseeable future unalterably Democrat. If Texas turns bright blue, the Electoral College math is simple. We won’t be talking about Ohio, we won’t be talking about Florida or Virginia, because it won’t matter. If Texas is bright blue, you can’t get to two-seventy electoral votes. The Republican Party would cease to exist. We would become like the Whig Party. Our kids and grandkids would study how this used to be a national political party. ‘They had Conventions, they nominated Presidential candidates. They don’t exist anymore.’ ”

Hah! It's true! They really can! No, wait... Tom is right. !@#$. Tom is right.

Not so much about a state seceding. But to the opposite end, a potential 1 party system is terrifying...

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2012/11/19/121119fa_fact_lizza?currentPage=all

This.

http://www.newyorker...currentPage=all

Thats a great article! ad someone who supports unfettered immigration to those willing to work, I agree with many of the stances reflected in that article.

Yeah...because legalizing pot in the US will never happen. I agree with you...just saying.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but pot will be legalized at some point.

My point was that the Obama Administration's response to the petition was basically, thanks for petitioning but we have no intention of acting upon your request

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but pot will be legalized at some point.

My point was that the Obama Administration's response to the petition was basically, thanks for petitioning but we have no intention of acting upon your request

I was being sarcastic...especially in light of recent state decisions re: pot legalization. I also agree that this petition will be greeted with little, if any, response.

I was being sarcastic...especially in light of recent state decisions re: pot legalization. I also agree that this petition will be greeted with little, if any, response.

If we can't separate here, it will never happen on your side.

I hope President Obama says yes. We can then replace Texas with Puerto Rico, so we don't have to mess up the flag.

It will be so very funny the first time the Emperor of Texas asks the US for foreign aid. We can tell them no, then they'll have to ask Mexico...then they'll regret building that wall where Joe the Plumber advocated they sit on top with guns and plug away at those scary little people trying to sneak into America for a better life....

I hope President Obama says yes. We can then replace Texas with Puerto Rico, so we don't have to mess up the flag.

It will be so very funny the first time the Emperor of Texas asks the US for foreign aid. We can tell them no, then they'll have to ask Mexico...then they'll regret building that wall where Joe the Plumber advocated they sit on top with guns and plug away at those scary little people trying to sneak into America for a better life....

Why would Texas need foreign aid?