WGR Paul Hamilton take

vegas55

So our football expert/critic Paul Hamilton,whose credentials are that he played high school hockey, comes on WGR radio show this morning criticizing Gailey on the last play call (interception); stating that Gailey should know better than to call a pass to a rookie in that situation. It's hard to believe this guy has been assigned to cover an NFL team this long and not know a thing about pro football.

This isn't high school Paul. Gailey did not/does not send in a play specifically designed to go a certain receiver. This is how it works in the NFL: the play that is sent in calls for the multiple receivers to run specific routes. As the QB awaits the snap he reads the defense, determines where the best option is, and throws it to that receiver. Not surprisingly, the Pats defense (pre snap) rotated coverage towards Stevie Johnson, and Fitz reads and decides where the coverage is weakest. But the play Gailey sent in was not designed for the ball to be thrown to the rookie, the QB decides which receiver to go to

Hamilton has Been covering the Bills for how long now?.

So our football expert/critic Paul Hamilton,whose credentials are that he played high school hockey, comes on WGR radio show this morning criticizing Gailey on the last play call (interception); stating that Gailey should know better than to call a pass to a rookie in that situation. It's hard to believe this guy has been assigned to cover an NFL team this long and not know a thing about pro football.

This isn't high school Paul. Gailey did not/does not send in a play specifically designed to go a certain receiver. This is how it works in the NFL: the play that is sent in calls for the multiple receivers to run specific routes. As the QB awaits the snap he reads the defense, determines where the best option is, and throws it to that receiver. Not surprisingly, the Pats defense (pre snap) rotated coverage towards Stevie Johnson, and Fitz reads and decides where the coverage is weakest. But the play Gailey sent in was not designed for the ball to be thrown to the rookie, the QB decides which receiver to go to

Hamilton has Been covering the Bills for how long now?.

Gailey SHOULD have known better!

I would have called a play that was designed to go to (in order):

CJ Spiller

Stevie Johnson

Scott Chandler

It's too bad we ran out of timeouts, having burnt two of them on plays where Gailey could have and should have stopped the clock simply by throwing a challenge flag.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

I don't question the play call although it would have been preferable to leave absolutely no time on the clock for the Pats offense if the Bills took the lead. Fitz had perfect protection on the play so there was no need to force a throw into that spot. And the receiver admited he should have run a route underneath the defender vs. behind him. If it was up to me I would have run something to get the ball into the hands of my playmakers either Johnson or Spiller but all that right now is just Monday morning QB and 2nd guessing on my part.

The biggest disappointment was a comeback win here could have been a defining moment and turning point for this group. Much like when the Kelly led Bills beat Miami with Jimbos QB sneak into the end zone as the game ended many years ago at the beginning of the 90's Bills run of dominance. At the end of the day it was only another in the string of heartbreaking losses for the 21st century version of the Bills and the Bills fan nation.

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

for what it's worth, and to be fair, Paul Hamilton was inducted into the Iowa State Hockey Hall of Fame. the "high school" reference is quite misleading.

jw

So that qualifies Hamilton to be a credible information source for both football and hockey. :wallbash:

Edited by Mr. Wonderful

fair comment is fair comment. i have no trouble with those here criticizing my colleagues or me. it comes with the business. what i do take issue with is when the criticism is inaccurate -- as noted here in this thread -- or plain mean-spirited, as noted in a reply to a knucklehead in the Jerry Sullivan thread.

merely wanted to point out the fact that Paul Hamilton's hockey credentials go far beyond high school. and in the Jerry thread, needed to point out that the poster was rude in his description.

jw

You don't need any credentials to questions the stupidity of making a rookie receiver the primary on a route that requires a read that if made incorrectly could cost you the game. And how do I know he was the primary? Because CJ and Stevie were both open and Fitz never looked their way.

Sound to me that Hamilton's comment was pretty spot on. Unlike that of the original poster who seemed to feel it more important to sully (pun intended) a man's reputation than make a valid football point.

C'mon...if Fitz completes that pass to Graham, nobody is saying that he shouldn't have been throwing it to a rookie...who he was throwing to is not really an issue.

What I found a little puzzling about that last sequence of plays was the fact that the Bills were on the 15 yard line, 1st & 10, with 33 seconds left on the clock, no timeouts...I get going to Chandler in the endzone on first down...but I am not so sure I would have gone to the endzone on second down...Spiller has shown to be great outside the hash....I might have passed it to him close to the sideline and have him either try to run it in, or get out of bounds....I guess it is easy to second guess, especially when things didn't work out...but I was real nervous about Fitz throwing that in the endzone on back to back plays, when he had other options...the Pats looked to be sending all their coverage to the endzone...Spiller and Jones were both open...Jones practically all alone on the 2yrd line, not far from the pylon...such a shame...call it a meaningless moral victory, but they gave it what they had...game of inches they say!

Stop assuming ANY media person has ANY credibility. They get credibility through opportunity not through expertise. They're educated to write and interview, not analyze the intricacies of the 4-3 defense. They learn that, in theory, on the job. they're no more expert than anyone else.

And here's a great example of someone with the opportunity... A microphone... Being clueless. Schoop today in the few minutes I caught was playin the rookie card on this play too. This from the same guy who has continually supported playin rookies. Hypocrite. The problem with the media is they're the media. We're supposed to accept their expertise on faith. And of course, Wawrow comes to Hamiltons defense. Reporters are like cops, they defend their own at all costs so as to not allow any delegitimization of thier jobs.

As I continue to say over and over... Stop reading and listening if you're expecting knowledge and expertise. It's hard to take anyone seriously who can't respond to a question or criticism without screaming and yelling (Sullivan, Jeremy White, Schoop). I luckily have a new gig and shor commute so when get into the car in th a.m. I get the sports update and that's it, same on the way home. And with paid access required for the BN I don't read that anymore. I'm nearly media free and it's great.

Stop assuming ANY media person has ANY credibility. They get credibility through opportunity not through expertise. They're educated to write and interview, not analyze the intricacies of the 4-3 defense. They learn that, in theory, on the job. they're no more expert than anyone else.

And here's a great example of someone with the opportunity... A microphone... Being clueless. Schoop today in the few minutes I caught was playin the rookie card on this play too. This from the same guy who has continually supported playin rookies. Hypocrite. The problem with the media is they're the media. We're supposed to accept their expertise on faith. And of course, Wawrow comes to Hamiltons defense. Reporters are like cops, they defend their own at all costs so as to not allow any delegitimization of thier jobs.

As I continue to say over and over... Stop reading and listening if you're expecting knowledge and expertise. It's hard to take anyone seriously who can't respond to a question or criticism without screaming and yelling (Sullivan, Jeremy White, Schoop). I luckily have a new gig and shor commute so when get into the car in th a.m. I get the sports update and that's it, same on the way home. And with paid access required for the BN I don't read that anymore. I'm nearly media free and it's great.

uhhh, i did what now?

you having an ax to grind with the media isn't my fault. and you're free to do so. think what you will, suggest we're miscreants for all i care, but i will take issue with you attempting to interpret my motives here as proof to fit your agenda.

jw

Edited by john wawrow

Reporters are like cops, they defend their own at all costs so as to not allow any delegitimization of thier jobs.

Wow, as a retired Police Officer I can assure you your comment couldn't be more wrong. It just adds to the ignorance of your whole post. Gain some credibility and knowledge about your subject before making such a broad post about subjects you are clearly clueless about.

Edited by Avalanche

Wow, as a retired Police Officer I can assure you your comment couldn't be more wrong. It just adds to the ignorance of your whole post. Gain some credibility and knowledge about your subject before making such a broad post about subjects you are clearly clueless about.

Ignorance on the Interwebs eh? Consider me surprised! I jest of course.

JW, keep doing what you do. I appreciate the honesty you bring to your posts here where the mongoloids on this board have scared quite a few worthy posters away. I like that you acknowledge criticism as part of the job and realize that we all will have differing opinions on the columnists we "have" (since its only a one paper town and some of us like to read a newspaper) to deal with on a daily basis