It's all about the LINEBACKERS - Barnett targeted all game

BobChalmers

If you have a way - go back and watch the 2nd Pats* TD drive when they went up 17-3 on a Ridley run.

Nick Barnett was targeted EVERY SINGLE PLAY. If the Pats* came out and admitted that "find Barnett" was Brady's read on that drive, I would not be surprised.

He was attempting (and failing) to cover different receivers each time, and he was lined up at the point of attack on the long scoring run play - where he completely failed to disengage from his block. They may have been in zone on the passes, but wherever he was, Brady went after him every time.

Compare the Bills' LB corps to any we have seen this year - is there one even close to as bad? as unathletic as what the Bills put out there? .

Barnett is clearly washed-up and if Sheppard can't get any of his playing time, then I think it's fair to call him a bust.

I know we all wish we had better than Fitz at QB, but these LB's are so painful to watch that if they had to make a choice, I'd rather they focused on that in the draft. Seriously, they need to draft 5 of them next year just to make sure they find at least a couple who can actually play in the NFL.

We have zero NFL caliber linebackers. The safety's are horrid too. Actually, the whole defense needs to be torn down.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New 3 LB, 2 QB Mock Draft:

1 9 Buffalo Manti Te'o ILB Notre Dame

2 40 Buffalo Kevin Minter ILB/OLB LSU

3 72 Buffalo Jonathan Brown OLB43 Illinois

4 104 Buffalo Collin Klein QB Kansas State

5 136 Buffalo Zeke Motta FS Notre Dame

6 168 Buffalo Mike Glennon QB NC State (TJ Graham's QB)

7 200 Buffalo Walter Stewart DE Cincinnati

At one point we blitz scott on the right side and had Barnett [attempt to] cover Woodhead out of the backfield. Woodhead scored a TD on a 15ish yard catch and run. On TV they showed a great endzone view replay of it. I was dumbfounded that a coach would have Scott Blitz while asking Barnett to cover. Those assignements should have been switched.

On the next drive, Scott covered Woodhead and made a good play swatting a pass down. I believe that was on a 3rd down and forced a punt.

How does Wanny not know this stuff already and think this out beforehand? Ugh.

Haha - sorry - wrote that too early and too angry - Nick Barnett of course!

My point is more about when they are in any passing situation, Sheppard (and I guess it's Bradham these days) comes out. Barnett and Scott are playing all the passing downs - that's all I was getting at.

Barnett in there looks like it makes us weak against the run and the pass.

No my issue is that Barnett can't cover a WR even for a couple of seconds, nor can he cover a TE or RB, nor can he take on a block on a running down.

I am sure this will be addressed next year - it's just a pity the whole defense is being faulted with what looks like more of just a glaring weakness in one unit.

I thought he played well enough last year, but keep in mind the Packers let him go w/o an offer, right? I think they could tell he was close to hitting the wall.

He gets stats this year, but an awful lot of his tackles seem like they are on the guy he is assigned to in pass coverage - not exactly a positive stat.

Seriously - go back and look at that second Pats* TD drive - it's incredible - EVERY play is at Barnett.

I watched this in horror. Pats called the same play Houston did and Barnett got caught in traffic again.

My biggest B word about the game is a major concern Nick is playing very weak and costing us big time.

Yep they went him after those 3 plays you mentioned Bob, and go another big one later.

at least Wannstadt is dialing up some adjustments and blitzes.

We played and were coached fairly well this game.

And you guys must admit... it was exciting to watch.

I would just like one person from the media to ask the question, "Is Kirk Morrison really so bad that he is inactive every week?" Seriously, the guy had a pretty decent career up to the time he was picked up by Buffalo, and he's been on the shelf ever since. Given how God awful our LBs are, is he really worse than what we're putting out there?

I feel bad for the guy, his career is going down the drain sitting on this Bills roster. I just want to know if he's really that bad, or if he just slept with somebody's wife.

Wawrow, can you toss us a bone here?

sorry, have other fish to fry, and only so many questions to address of my own before taking requests, especially on a very, very short week.

as for why Kirk isn't in the mix, don't know. it's been quite strange how the Bills have signed and re-signed him only to have him sit most games. it's in part for insurance in the event Nick Barnett gets hurt, trouble is Barnett hasn't gotten hurt.

and i personally, wouldn't sit Barnett. i think the Bills lack oomph at the position, and have put far too much onus on the front four to make a push.

jw

New 3 LB, 2 QB Mock Draft:

1 9 Buffalo Manti Te'o ILB Notre Dame Like

2 40 Buffalo Kevin Minter ILB/OLB LSU E.J. Manuel/ Landry Jones grab a LB like Daryl Smith in FA

3 72 Buffalo Jonathan Brown OLB43 Illinois Margus Hunt Bills could still use another DE

4 104 Buffalo Collin Klein QB Kansas State DBs from the 4th -6th

5 136 Buffalo Zeke Motta FS Notre Dame

6 168 Buffalo Mike Glennon QB NC State (TJ Graham's QB)

7 200 Buffalo Walter Stewart DE Cincinnati

sorry, have other fish to fry, and only so many questions to address of my own before taking requests, especially on a very, very short week.

as for why Kirk isn't in the mix, don't know. it's been quite strange how the Bills have signed and re-signed him only to have him sit most games. it's in part for insurance in the event Nick Barnett gets hurt, trouble is Barnett hasn't gotten hurt.

and i personally, wouldn't sit Barnett. i think the Bills lack oomph at the position, and have put far too much onus on the front four to make a push.

jw

*sigh*

Okay, thanks. At least it's pretty cool that I could actually ask that of someone in the media and get an honest response.

i suppose Dave thought he could get the linebackers up to speed quicker ?

But they didn't. There was too much hype to admit this was another developmental year for the team. Both offense and defense.

Lb's have to cover theses days and we need to draft some more, We will.

QB LBs and corners.

Edited by 3rdand12

When Brady was yelling "43 is the Mike" during that first game, I too was horrified. Seemed lihe he was pinpointing Scott, and then audibling to a play run right at him.

But maybe we're reading too much into it. I saw parts of others Patriots game, when Brady similarly yelled out who the Mike was. Then I saw a Falcons game when I could hear Ryan do the same thing.

Identifying the Mike must have something to do with the protection or play options, as opposed to exposing a weakness in our defense.

Each team will use different line calls and checkdowns for different things, but identifying the middle linebacker as being an oversized safety, and then following that audible with a with the same multi-read dive every single time leads me to believe it's a personel package check-down the Patriots use against us specifically. I'm equally sure they use the identifier against other teams players to check down exploiting their weaknesses as well. Edited by TakeYouToTasker

At one point we blitz scott on the right side and had Barnett [attempt to] cover Woodhead out of the backfield. Woodhead scored a TD on a 15ish yard catch and run. On TV they showed a great endzone view replay of it. I was dumbfounded that a coach would have Scott Blitz while asking Barnett to cover. Those assignements should have been switched.

On the next drive, Scott covered Woodhead and made a good play swatting a pass down. I believe that was on a 3rd down and forced a punt.

How does Wanny not know this stuff already and think this out beforehand? Ugh.

Because you can't have the same assignments every play. At some point your players actually have to be better than theirs. Our best lb covering woodhead shouldn't be a devastating mismatch

In retrospect, Anderson's money would have been better spent on another LB. Maybe not carrying two kickers and 4 QB's would afford another LB spot to develop. We all knew their LB's were awful and there is no #2 WR. They did well enough in the draft to fill a bunch of holes. But to think they switch from a 3-4 to a 4-3 and still have no quality LB's is just awful. I have been saying from the beginning that Sheppard is too small to play MLB. I guess he must be too slow to play OLB and to be the nickel MLB. I can not see how he could be any worse than Poz or Barnett as the nickel MLB. Fortunately LB's can play quickly. I would love to see two of the first three picks be LB's.

As much as it will hurt to hear, if the Bills don't take a QB at #1 then they need to consider another CB. Williams is really struggling and McGee is done so they really only have one legit starting CB when they need three. Draft a CB and maybe give Williams a shot at safety where the Senator has been MIA all season or play him as the nickel. LBs can be had in the later rounds.

I am sure this will be addressed in FA and the draft. Relax. This is a not an attacking defensive style that we play. Your issue is with the scheme not the players.

The issue is Barnett. The guy suck and he suck bad. The pats could have use Woodhead or Welker to block him one on one and he would have been lost. He can't get off his block, he can't cover his own ass. I agree that, tho I hate Fitz-trash I can deal with him if we had a beer defense. And this LBer group is a catastrophic failure. No surprise there, we all knew this coming into the season. But Barnett in my honest opinion for the penny it's worth is a major problem..

Edited by Roc Bronson

we ran a 34 the last two years, we switched to a 43 and loaded the DL but not the LBs. simple really.

They ran a hybrid under Edwards, and a big reason why was the LBs they had either sucked, were washed up shells, or where defensive lineman playing out of position.

Edit: But now we're back pulling jaurons and playing defensive backs at LB.