Buddy says he wants to draft a QB this year

FluffHead

If Barkley is in the same class as Luck and RG3, try to make a trade now with KC or Jags for there 1st pick and still keep our 1st. Not likely but Polian knows a Peyton or Luck , (Bennett). Go big or stay home

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the span of 2011-12, 10 QB's were drafted and are starting for their respective teams. Aside from Newton and Luck, the Bills had a chance at all of them. It is inconceivable that those other 8 did not have what Nix was looking for.

You do not wait for the draft to come to you and expect to find a veritable starting QB. If you state that repeatedly, sure, you'll never get the guy.

There are several NFL teams that must rebuild from a failed regime and almost none of them do so without getting their QB near the beginning. 10 teams have done it and while it does not guarantee success, it remains the responsibility of the GM to get that guy ASAP. RF was not their choice upon taking over, had 2 years of film (08-09) that showed he's not a franchise guy, and they still went with him.

Nix's teams are 13-27 in 2+ seasons. So now, they'll grab their guy when it's abundantly clear they need one which provides them another excuse why this rebuild needs more time.

Not to mention that because of this, we will get r-ped and pillaged in any trade situation. The entire league knows we're holding 2/7 offsuit.

The draft is not a crapshoot. Either that, or the Patriots and Packers shoot some serious craps. The draft is a crapshoot when idiots are doing the drafting. I'm not saying Nix is an idiot. I think he's drafted pretty well. I'm just saying the draft is not about getting lucky if you have the right guy picking the players.

sarcasm meter might be broken gug :nana:

How many mulligans does this guy get before people realize he's fumbling in the dark for the light switch? Taking 4 off-seasons to realize you don't have a solid QB on the roster is the most egregious example of a bad GM.

This rebuild, at best, is stuck in the mud because Nix can't get things right the first time.

I just read an article that stated Chan Gailey was given a 5 year contract. :doh: So of course both Nix and Gailey have their 5 year (taking their good ole time) plan working. I think that both men are giving it their all, its just that you can't ask a janitor to perform brain surgery. Both men are in way over their heads at their respective jobs.

My take is that Ralph Wilson has figured out that Bills fans are so afraid of losing the team in a move that they are willing to pay no matter how crappy the team is, and it is crappy. So he also figures that Chan Gailey (for better or for worse) is his last head coach.

Its a sad time for Bills fans that need to wait another 2 years for a possible change at head coach / GM or hope for something they don't really want to hope for in the demise of the current owner :bag:

What about a trade for Kirk Cousins? He's already had a year of NFL seasoning, he looked very good in preseason and in the small duty he had in the regular season. In the interviews I saw, I remember the guy being a true leader-type who would no doubt give his all. Not sure about how strong of an arm he has though (any college fans here know?). He needs to be able to throw a decent deep ball even to consider a trade for him.

In the span of 2011-12, 10 QB's were drafted and are starting for their respective teams. Aside from Newton and Luck, the Bills had a chance at all of them. It is inconceivable that those other 8 did not have what Nix was looking for.

You do not wait for the draft to come to you and expect to find a veritable starting QB. If you state that repeatedly, sure, you'll never get the guy.

There are several NFL teams that must rebuild from a failed regime and almost none of them do so without getting their QB near the beginning. 10 teams have done it and while it does not guarantee success, it remains the responsibility of the GM to get that guy ASAP. RF was not their choice upon taking over, had 2 years of film (08-09) that showed he's not a franchise guy, and they still went with him.

Nix's teams are 13-27 in 2+ seasons. So now, they'll grab their guy when it's abundantly clear they need one which provides them another excuse why this rebuild needs more time.

Hey, I understand the frustration.

Perhaps I'm confusing your statement about Buffalo having a shot at all starting QBs drafted in 2011 & 2012, but by my count, Buffalo had a shot at only 6 of them, and in my opinion, a strong case can really only be made that 1 should have been picked:

Newton - Picked 1st overall (Bills had zero chance)

Gabbert - Picked 10th overall and Bills wisely passed

Locker - Picked 8th overall and Bills passed (I'll say wisely for now, as he went winless as their starter this year)

Ponder - Picked 12th overall in what was viewed as a reach, Bills passed (started out hot after a mediocre rookie year, has tapered off tremendously)

Dalton - Picked 35th overall, Bills passed in round 2 for Aaron Williams (not smart, he looks like a keeper, so here's 1)

Luck - 1st overall, no shot

Griffin - 2nd overall, no shot

Tannehill - 8th overall, no shot

Weeden - 22nd overall, Bills passed (I'll say wisely, since he's the same age as Fitzpatrick and currently no better)

Wilson - 3rd round, Bills passed (as discussed earlier, I think it's too early to call him a franchise QB, but if you're desperate to make your point, we'll call him #2)

I think Nix has stuck to his philosophy, and has really only missed on Dalton. Yeah, it hurts that he missed on a quality QB, but it's not nearly the case that you're making it out to be.

Not to mention that because of this, we will get r-ped and pillaged in any trade situation. The entire league knows we're holding 2/7 offsuit.

Again, read the above.

As for the trade scenario, ask the Redskins if they're disappointed in what they gave up...

I think Nix has stuck to his philosophy, and has really only missed on Dalton.

I'm not sold on Dalton. Sure his team made the playoffs when he started as a rookie. But he was also the beneficiary of a really good defense last year. And this year he has thrown 11 picks already (2 more than Fitz). And his team is 3-5, just like the Bills.

So what is it exactly that makes him a "franchise QB"?

He's going to draft some crap prospect in the 3rd round and then have him sit behind Fitz for a year or two and then ultimately take over and predictably fail and then in another 4 years of sub .500 football we can start the cycle of hoping they will draft a real prospect again.

Were you also one of the people who essentially called Nix a liar last year when he said he was going to be aggressive in FA and improve the passrushing talent?

Mario may not have been all we dreamed of, and Anderson's missed a lot of time, but Nix did EXACTLY what he said he would.

I think it's just silly to have some attitude that they will not, in fact, draft a QB very high - 1st if the guy is there, 2nd if they think that's the play and there is an amazing LB at their spot.

What about a trade for Kirk Cousins? He's already had a year of NFL seasoning, he looked very good in preseason and in the small duty he had in the regular season. In the interviews I saw, I remember the guy being a true leader-type who would no doubt give his all. Not sure about how strong of an arm he has though (any college fans here know?). He needs to be able to throw a decent deep ball even to consider a trade for him.

I really thought the Bills would grab him in the 4th and was bummed (and kind of shocked) when the Redskins did.

Nix is unable to build a team through the draft or free agency. For proof look at the 2012 Bills. he should be nowhere near making any decisions regarding quarterbacks next year.

Quite simply the southern hick is clueless. too old, and way over his head. But, let's put all the blame on the coaches. The one's Nix hired.

Most of the "good" starters on the team are leftovers from DJ. Except the new left tackle, and a water bug.

Buddy seems to think he is going to solidify his "legacy" or something drafting a QB for the future: Dude, this IS the future and you blew it.

Buddy needs to ride off and stay away. Don't let him mess up another draft by reaching or something else. Just stop.

If Barkley is in the same class as Luck and RG3, try to make a trade now with KC or Jags for there 1st pick and still keep our 1st. Not likely but Polian knows a Peyton or Luck , (Bennett). Go big or stay home

Noone since Elway is the same kind of prospect as Luck. Not even Payton Manning. There were (some) questions about even Payton.

There were NO questions about Luck.

My take is that Ralph Wilson has figured out that Bills fans are so afraid of losing the team in a move that they are willing to pay no matter how crappy the team is, and it is crappy. So he also figures that Chan Gailey (for better or for worse) is his last head coach.

He has, a long time ago, and he's right. :cry:

Y'all are such back and forth fans lol. Yes the bills have sucked forever and yes fitz is horrible. But in my opinion we have a lot of talent that isn't being used properly. If we run the ball first then utilize the play action pass then fitz will be enough to lead us. When we do bootleg plays we are successful. We need to take the pressure off of our qb and do the old ground and pound. When we commit to the run game we become more competitive. We have the best yards per carry running back for crying out loud lol. On the quarterback note, geno smith is going to be great and would fit nicely in our offense. We can't say Ralph is cheap either because he has given buddy full reign on finances also. Buddy will get it done, and he has done well I think. It's up to the head coach to use the assets given to him also. It all falls on gailey and wanny. I guarantee also wanny will get his d working together, once they learn the new d we will b successful. Remember we are a young team y'all.

Hey, I understand the frustration.

Perhaps I'm confusing your statement about Buffalo having a shot at all starting QBs drafted in 2011 & 2012, but by my count, Buffalo had a shot at only 6 of them, and in my opinion, a strong case can really only be made that 1 should have been picked:

Newton - Picked 1st overall (Bills had zero chance)

Gabbert - Picked 10th overall and Bills wisely passed

Locker - Picked 8th overall and Bills passed (I'll say wisely for now, as he went winless as their starter this year)

Ponder - Picked 12th overall in what was viewed as a reach, Bills passed (started out hot after a mediocre rookie year, has tapered off tremendously)

Dalton - Picked 35th overall, Bills passed in round 2 for Aaron Williams (not smart, he looks like a keeper, so here's 1)

Luck - 1st overall, no shot

Griffin - 2nd overall, no shot

Tannehill - 8th overall, no shot

Weeden - 22nd overall, Bills passed (I'll say wisely, since he's the same age as Fitzpatrick and currently no better)

Wilson - 3rd round, Bills passed (as discussed earlier, I think it's too early to call him a franchise QB, but if you're desperate to make your point, we'll call him #2)

I think Nix has stuck to his philosophy, and has really only missed on Dalton. Yeah, it hurts that he missed on a quality QB, but it's not nearly the case that you're making it out to be.

Again, read the above.

As for the trade scenario, ask the Redskins if they're disappointed in what they gave up...

Don't be naive the Bills could have (easily) had Tannehill and maybe others. You have to TRADE. Nix has said he doesn't like doing that since he only hits on about 1 out of 4 of his picks if that. Truth!

Edited by Best Player Available

I don't think he is in the RGIII/Luck class, at least not after what he has shown this season. He might not have to trade up for him. I think he will get drafted right around where locker was, which is where I am assuming we will pick around.USC QBs underwhelm me, but I think it is safe to say barkley would play better than fitz. I don't think they draft him though. I think he isn't the chan type qb. I think they will target someone else. hopefully someone really good.

Contrary to some of these statements suggesting we have maybe almost avoided drafting a qb the last two years i thinks Nix and Whaley are very focused on that position. They made their decisions and i thought last years draft attempted and succeeded and getting a player to fit every weakness. You can only pick so many and hope the scouts did the work.

Whether those players turn out is actually pretty tough odds even at #10 pick. Buddy said clearly after the draft that they had QBs of interest they were watching.

They took the risk and got good overall value out of the draft.

This is the year they are going for it. They have no choice. Everyone knows that. Everyone. Fitz hasnt worked out.

So how about we get some dialogue going about who would be the best fit for our fantastic O line.

I think those guys will be able to take care of a pocket passer very well and give a great opportunity for a rookie " Franchise QB " to get settled down quickly. and fit.

Buddy's first sentence: "it's the same plan we've had every year" is all I needed to hear. This is the plan that has yielded Levi Brown and that's it in three drafts. I think that they're going to have to be a lot more aggressive if they want to get a good QB and it doesn't sound like they will be.

Contrary to some of these statements suggesting we have maybe almost avoided drafting a qb the last two years i thinks Nix and Whaley are very focused on that position. They made their decisions and i thought last years draft attempted and succeeded and getting a player to fit every weakness. You can only pick so many and hope the scouts did the work.

Whether those players turn out is actually pretty tough odds even at #10 pick. Buddy said clearly after the draft that they had QBs of interest they were watching.

They took the risk and got good overall value out of the draft.

This is the year they are going for it. They have no choice. Everyone knows that. Everyone. Fitz hasnt worked out.

So how about we get some dialogue going about who would be the best fit for our fantastic O line.

I think those guys will be able to take care of a pocket passer very well and give a great opportunity for a rookie " Franchise QB " to get settled down quickly. and fit.

You say they attempted and succeeded getting players that "fit" the teams weaknesses. I don't see a standout player at any position they drafted at. Not a single player that shows he's got "it". Exception is the left tackle. To date Glenn is Nix's best pick as a rookie GM. Better than the Spiller pick because they have no clue on how to capitalize on Spiller's skills every week. Actually, you can say that about the running game period.

If Nix and Whaley just found out that "Fitz hasn't worked out" well that's pretty damming evidence they suck at their job. Oddly enough the 31 other NFL teams knew what he was years ago,a medicore at best back up. I cannot think of a single NFL team that would want Fitz in any capacity. That is hard to argue. And the Bills FO is just figuring it out is plain incompetence, Or as they say on OBD. Another day at the office.