Dave Grohl back in QOTSA and back ON DRUMS!!

DrDawkinstein

Was hoping this would happen when the Foo Fighters announced their hiatus last month.

It's been a shame that the best Rock drummer of my generation hasn't done much drumming over the past 20 years.

I like Joey on drums for QOTSA, but you can't deny Dr. Dave.

He killed it on Songs for the Deaf, so this up my anticipation for more QOTSA.

http://pitchfork.com/news/48496-queens-of-the-stone-age-enlist-dave-grohl-for-new-album-drummer-joey-castillo-leaves-band/

I weep for your generation. :D

He's a good straight forward power drummer but then again so am I. :lol:

Ha! Hence my quantifying him as best Rock drummer. Im sure there are guys out there who can play a mean jazz set or some bull, but if you want a drummer to DRIVE, you hire Dr. Dave. :thumbsup:

Ha! Hence my quantifying him as best Rock drummer. Im sure there are guys out there who can play a mean jazz set or some bull, but if you want a drummer to DRIVE, you hire Dr. Dave. :thumbsup:

Ahhh the youngsters that don't even know the origins of Rock and why a good rock drummer is not just a straight forward power drummer. Hence MY reference to me being a good power drummer. :D

My favorite lines from The Last Waltz:

[Martin Scorsese is asking Levon Helm about his home state, Arkansas, and his musical influences]

Levon Helm: Bluegrass and country music ... if it comes down into that area and if it mixes there with the rhythm and if it dances, then you've got a combination of all that music ...

Martin Scorsese: What's it called?

Levon Helm: Rock and roll. You !@#$ing dumb ass [I added that last part] :bag:

Edited by Chef Jim

Ahhh the youngsters that don't even know the origins of Rock and why a good rock drummer is not just a straight forward power drummer. Hence MY reference to me being a good power drummer. :D

My favorite lines from The Last Waltz:

[Martin Scorsese is asking Levon Helm about his home state, Arkansas, and his musical influences]

Levon Helm: Bluegrass and country music ... if it comes down into that area and if it mixes there with the rhythm and if it dances, then you've got a combination of all that music ...

Martin Scorsese: What's it called?

Levon Helm: Rock and roll. You !@#$ing dumb ass [I added that last part] :bag:

You old bag, your first concert hearing drums was cavemen beating a coconut. Get relevant old man!

But, yeah, I would tend to agree. Grohl is a the best drummer for the generation of music currently, and that sad thing is music blows right now. Bieber, Kiesha, Gaga, bunch of homo's.

You old bag, your first concert hearing drums was cavemen beating a coconut. Get relevant old man!

But, yeah, I would tend to agree. Grohl is a the best drummer for the generation of music currently, and that sad thing is music blows right now. Bieber, Kiesha, Gaga, bunch of homo's.

I know you know better than this. :P

I know you know better than this. :P

In general you just cannot turn on the radio and enjoy whatever is on. It gets on my nerves. Even Sirius is starting to sound awful. I've found NPR crap more entertaining recently. To find a new good band or group is hard. You always end up with two or three good songs and thats it.

if you think there is no current good music, then you simply suck at music (the following list is NOT a list of whos currently the best at making music right now, this is simply a best of drummers list currently drumming - you can hate on their bands music or their genre, but these guys are incredible at beating the sticks)

best current drummers:

Questlove from the Roots

Carter Beauford from Dave Matthews band

John Fishman from Phish

Patrick Carney from The Black Keys

Dave Grohl QOTSA and more importantly Them Crooked Vultures

Brad Wilk Rage Against the Machine and Audioslave

all those guys can stick it, and Carter Beauford is always on top 10 lists of "best drummers of all time"

and as far as modern music goes: if you are stuck in classic rock, please check out The Black Keys as a segue into modern rock

if you think there is no current good music, then you simply suck at music (the following list is NOT a list of whos currently the best at making music right now, this is simply a best of drummers list currently drumming - you can hate on their bands music or their genre, but these guys are incredible at beating the sticks)

best current drummers:

Questlove from the Roots

Carter Beauford from Dave Matthews band

John Fishman from Phish

Patrick Carney from The Black Keys

Dave Grohl QOTSA and more importantly Them Crooked Vultures

Brad Wilk Rage Against the Machine and Audioslave

all those guys can stick it, and Carter Beauford is always on top 10 lists of "best drummers of all time"

and as far as modern music goes: if you are stuck in classic rock, please check out The Black Keys as a segue into modern rock

The average age of the drummers you mentioned is nearly 45. So if that's your list then there are no good new bands.

Was hoping this would happen when the Foo Fighters announced their hiatus last month.

It's been a shame that the best Rock drummer of my generation hasn't done much drumming over the past 20 years.

I like Joey on drums for QOTSA, but you can't deny Dr. Dave.

He killed it on Songs for the Deaf, so this up my anticipation for more QOTSA.

http://pitchfork.com...lo-leaves-band/

Good news. I've been rocking out QOTSA and Eagles of Death Metal all day.

The average age of the drummers you mentioned is nearly 45. So if that's your list then there are no good new bands.

pretty much my thought, unfortunately. Vocals have died, too. Music in the last 10 years has been fallen off the map.

all of those bands are CURRENT rock musicians...no one said anything about NEW....they are all currently putting out great music...and you can certainly be middle aged and NEW to the music scene....black keys are "relatively" new as far as mainstream is concerned

point was, theres still a lot of great rock and roll - and def. good drummers

all of those bands are CURRENT rock musicians...no one said anything about NEW....they are all currently putting out great music...and you can certainly be middle aged and NEW to the music scene....black keys are "relatively" new as far as mainstream is concerned

It is hard to imagine those bands being current. Hard to imagine those groups being in their 40's, too.

well hard to imagine or not, its true, all are currently performing/making albums

And there are a lot of rock musicians in their 70's that are still performing some great rock. My point was where are the 18-25 year old great musicians like we had in the 60's and 70's?

And there are a lot of rock musicians in their 70's that are still performing some great rock. My point was where are the 18-25 year old great musicians like we had in the 60's and 70's?

oh, well then I guess I dont care about your point haha....i was simply commenting on how there are many bands and artists (that were not part of "classic rock") currently creating great rock music

Really the issue I see is if discussing the BEST around, you need a resume. Have I heard some good drum tracks from young guys? Sure. But most are still honing their craft and still proving they can do it and even finding the right bands to do it with It's like comparing RG3 to Tom Brady here. The age gap is natural in the rankings.

Some other mentions: mike portnoy is another 45 year old that comes to mind, Jon Theodore is a good one in his mid 30s but his replacement in mars Volta - Thomas pridgen is a huge talent in his 20s (check him out - amazing)

If you think music is dead, you just don't know where to look.

Really the issue I see is if discussing the BEST around, you need a resume. Have I heard some good drum tracks from young guys? Sure. But most are still honing their craft and still proving they can do it and even finding the right bands to do it with It's like comparing RG3 to Tom Brady here. The age gap is natural in the rankings.

Some other mentions: mike portnoy is another 45 year old that comes to mind, Jon Theodore is a good one in his mid 30s but his replacement in mars Volta - Thomas pridgen is a huge talent in his 20s (check him out - amazing)

exactly!!!!

but.....i really cant get down with mars volta...ive tried, several times...and i dunno....maybe just not for me?

exactly!!!!

but.....i really cant get down with mars volta...ive tried, several times...and i dunno....maybe just not for me?

I'm not a huge fan either, but those guys can drum with the best - both in other projects at this point.

I think the major age gap is because young kids these days don't learn how to play instruments. They all want to sing (thank you American Idol). Michael Shrieve's drum solo at Woodstock is one of the best performances of the event and he was only 20. Mitch Mitchell with Hendrix was in his early 20's during Woodstock. John Bonham was only 20 when Zepplin formed. It was an amazing time for musicians. Clapton was 21 when Cream formed. Show me any 20 year old fantastic musicans today. I assume there are some but 40 plus years ago it was the norm.

I think the major age gap is because young kids these days don't learn how to play instruments. They all want to sing (thank you American Idol). Michael Shrieve's drum solo at Woodstock is one of the best performances of the event and he was only 20. Mitch Mitchell with Hendrix was in his early 20's during Woodstock. John Bonham was only 20 when Zepplin formed. It was an amazing time for musicians. Clapton was 21 when Cream formed. Show me any 20 year old fantastic musicans today. I assume there are some but 40 plus years ago it was the norm.

no argument there...

Gary Clark Jr. is amazing guitarist...hes 28...little old for your cutoff though

no argument there...

Gary Clark Jr. is amazing guitarist...hes 28...little old for your cutoff though

There's no cut off for age. If he's amazing at 28 I think it's safe to say he was amazing at 18. Just the nature of the beast so to speak. But for every top notch musician today under say 25 there were a dozen or more in the late 60's early 70's. Hell the band I played in during high school our lead quitarist who !@#$ing blew us all away was 14 as was I. Not many 14 year olds that can jam for 30 minutes to Whipping Post like we did. :lol:

There's no cut off for age. If he's amazing at 28 I think it's safe to say he was amazing at 18. Just the nature of the beast so to speak. But for every top notch musician today under say 25 there were a dozen or more in the late 60's early 70's. Hell the band I played in during high school our lead quitarist who !@#$ing blew us all away was 14 as was I. Not many 14 year olds that can jam for 30 minutes to Whipping Post like we did. :lol:

and you walked 10 miles to school, in the snow, up hill BOTH ways

you drank water right from the tap and ate rare meat

you played outside until dark, not on video games

yea yea, we get it, your old and are from a bad ass generation...wake me up when all you old farts die and stop sucking my taxes dry with all your medicaid and medicare

im joking...........kind of......

and you walked 10 miles to school, in the snow, up hill BOTH ways

you drank water right from the tap and ate rare meat

you played outside until dark, not on video games

yea yea, we get it, your old and are from a bad ass generation...wake me up when all you old farts die and stop sucking my taxes dry with all your medicaid and medicare

im joking...........kind of......

And you forgot that we're also from a generation that knows the difference between your and you're. Now run along little boy, your hot pockets are done.

And you forgot that we're also from a generation that knows the difference between your and you're. Now run along little boy, your hot pockets are done.

its the internet, not english 101, wasn't aware we were being graded here

and hot pockets are disgusting

Chef grew up in a time when ugly people were allowed to be famous.

I couldn't disagree more. There's more music being made today I would guess (easier access to recording equipment being a major factor along with more ways to connect and share your music once recorded), with that comes a huge volume of great talents, along with a ton more trash to pick through - and I'm guessing you are further removed from the 19 year old scene in your day to day.

Couple that with a changing dynamic of music festivals having fewer of those generation defining moments.... It makes sense you wouldn't be tied into the great young musicians. They exist.

You know that's a good point. My wife and I were just talking about that. Now it's all about image and good looks. Talent has very little to do with it.

It certainly does have an effect. I'd say the talent is still around, but it isn't as profitable alone, and because of that harder to become famous on talent alone.

Edited by NoSaint

I couldn't disagree more. There's more music being made today I would guess (easier access to recording equipment being a major factor along with more ways to connect and share your music once recorded), with that comes a huge volume of great talents, along with a ton more trash to pick through - and I'm guessing you are further removed from the 19 year old scene in your day to day.

Couple that with a changing dynamic of music festivals having fewer of those generation defining moments.... It makes sense you wouldn't be tied into the great young musicians. They exist.

It certainly does have an effect. I'd say the talent is still around, but it isn't as profitable alone, and because of that harder to become famous on talent alone.

I'm very familiar with the music out there today. I'm very up on the festivals and the bands that participate. Music is a very important part of my life. My point has been through this that in the early experimental years of rock and roll there was a ton of young talent. Why, because the genre was relatively new and being created by the young people at the time. There is definitely young talent out there by not as much as there was 40 plus years ago. And your last point about becoming famous on talent alone is very telling...and sad. You ask a vast majority of the musicians from the mid to late 60's about becoming famous and they'll tell you that fame had very little to do with it. It was all about the music. Many of them flamed out due to the fame they didn't want.

Here's a fantastic 18 year old guitarist I recently saw sitting in with tab Benoit and Kenny Wayne shepherd for a song. A little awkward at moments as the three had never played together before this moment but he has some chops. Kenny Wayne shepherd being another prime example of huge talent at a young age. Though he's gotta be mid 30s by now at 18 he had his first platinum record and number 1 on the blues chart. Wish I had a better chance casteel clip from his own band but the KWS reference is a good one for the discussion.

A favorite young talent that's starting to get some waves despite being an off genre is trombone shorty - check him out. Amazing stuff, that he's starting to get on the edge of being able to commercialize. These are just a handful. That come to mind from my playlists this week.

Drums don't get the attention they once did though. Ill agree on that. Some great drummers but not household names like they once were.

I'm very familiar with the music out there today. I'm very up on the festivals and the bands that participate. Music is a very important part of my life. My point has been through this that in the early experimental years of rock and roll there was a ton of young talent. Why, because the genre was relatively new and being created by the young people at the time. There is definitely young talent out there by not as much as there was 40 plus years ago. And your last point about becoming famous on talent alone is very telling...and sad. You ask a vast majority of the musicians from the mid to late 60's about becoming famous and they'll tell you that fame had very little to do with it. It was all about the music. Many of them flamed out due to the fame they didn't want.

But my overwhelming point is that jut because they aren't as front and center in the world of music - there are still a TON of musicians that are just absolutely phenomenal.

Edited by NoSaint

But my overwhelming point is that jut because they aren't as front and center in the world of music - there are still a TON of musicians that are just absolutely phenomenal.

Lot of it being played on someone's back porch or living room. :thumbsup:

I have a friend who's a huge Springsteen fan. She'll travel all over to be crammed with tens of thousands of other people to listen to him. I can's stand that crap. I love the small clubs and venues. I love SF for that.