The one and only TBD Political Thread

Simon

Your bias is showing. There are a number of black Republicans who are currently rising stars in the party. I have no doubt that the Republicans will nominate a candidate of color.

Yours has been for about 4 pages now. What's your point? And it's not racists for a single group to like one thing over the other. If anything it would be discrimination.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was listening to some hard core Republican talking heads this morning lamenting the election and one had a very interesting point along these lines. He said that historically the Republican candidate got 60% of the white male vote and that was generally enough for victory. Romney also got 60% of the white male vote last night and it was nowhere near enough. His conclusion, and I agree in principle, was that if the Republican party keeps running candidates that appeal only to white male voters that they are destined to lose forever. It is not a while male dominated electorate anymore and the Republican party can either adapt or die.

Interesting that you should quote this because it speaks to exactly what I was pointing out in my original post. The fact that 93% of blacks and 78% of Hispanics voted for Obama is what swayed this election. This opinion has garnered me much ridicule, but I'm a big boy and I can take it. I did however find this quote from you to be rather troubling "And I will tell you that for every minority who voted for Obama mostly or even just because he's black, there are two rednecks who never graduated high school, still think he wasn't born here, probably think he's a Muslim, think he's trying to take their guns away, etc., etc. So believe me, it all balances out. Have you ever driven through a really rural part of the country with giant crosses on the side of the highway? People that have never really left the northeast don't realize just how much of this country is full of people I just described." I have lived all over the country as a member of the military as well as overseas and in Canada. All I can say is "Wow!" I hope you don't really believe that.

Yours has been for about 4 pages now. What's your point? And it's not racists for a single group to like one thing over the other. If anything it would be discrimination.

Show me any statement that I made that was biased? I am quoting actual exit poll statistics. These numbers are not my opinion, they are fact.

60% 0f Americans believe abortion should not be permitted or available under stricter circumstances (CBS/NYT poll Jan '12)

50% of Americans support gay marriage (Gallup May '12)

55% of Americans are agaisnt affirmative action policies in college admissions. Only 24% favor it (Rasmussen 2/12).

"Republicans are closer to the national mood on affirmative action and whether the government should go deeper into debt to help the poor." (NYT 6/12)

61% of Americans favored the 2010 Arizona law which would allow officials and law enforcement officers can stop and verify people's immigration status. (6/12). 55% thought the main focus of the federal government should be stopping illegal immigrant inflow and increasing deportation as opposed to 42% favoring establishing legal residency (CNN/ORC 11/11). 80% of Americans oppose providing healthcare for illegal aliens (USNews/Rasmussen 6/12).

As you can see, many of the Republican ticket items mirror current public opinion. It's not really a "hate" ticket.

I thought that was the last election. Why do those people still feel unimprotant when their choice as President has been on the job for 4 years? And what exactly has he done for them to increase their sense of "importance"?

Whether they mirror public opinion or not it doesn't change the fact that the basis is hate. As for your second thought he hasn't increased there importance as much as he is the candidate where they thought they had a chance to be heard. Romney in public opinion caters to rich white guys. True or not perception is reality and minorities won't vote for someone who doesn't care about them.

Well, I'm nothing short of stunned at the Presidential election results. Stunned. To me it's impossible for any thinking person who pays attention to the very real and very large issues we face as a country to conclude that the current president is the better choice to lead this nation going forward. Our debt, our annual deficit, illegal immigration, a stagnant at best economy, oversubscribed and underfunded entitlements, a weakening international standing and a growing population of people not ready or willing to be self sufficient - all are staggering issues. The devil is in the details. The numbers tell the story. Bright and committed minds can solve these, yet our President has not presented one sound plan that can correct any of these issues. He speaks in lofty poll tested phrases and says nothing at the same time. He avoids the real numbers and does not have the courage to face these issues. Frankly, he is often less than honest and demonstrates this with regularity.

Today voters are the problem. Too few are informed and too few are willing take the time to study an issue and think about how it should be solved and who is best to solve it. Too many vote for candidates who will deliver small things to them individually at the expense of the big picture. Too many even when faced with the facts vote for the man or women who is part of the problem or not a part of the solution.

Who will solve our nation's issues, those now in Washington or the voters? I don't have faith in either one. Seriously, we are a nation committing suicide. No need to worry about me. It's most of you, my kids, my friends, neighbors and future generations that are screwed without a big change in direction soon on many things.

This.

Show me any statement that I made that was biased? I am quoting actual exit poll statistics. These numbers are not my opinion, they are fact.

I never questioned the numbers but stating he won because he is black (and not based on his policies) is an opinion.

I have a safe full of guns, I love guns! It is my God given right to protect myself and Family from the filth in this world.I hunt with my guns as well, so you are calling me a RACIST for owning guns?????

No I'm calling you a moron for being paranoid about Obama coming to get your guns when he's never even mentioned it. And also, owning guns is not your "God given right." That is one of the stupidest thing I've ever heard in my entire life. And why would I call you a racist for owning guns? And why am I even responding to you right now? I'm hanging up on you- prank caller, prank caller.

i missed the Brian Williams takedown on trumps' tweets. having read about it today, i found it quite amusing.

WIlliams said it appeared that Trump had "driven well past the last exit to relevance and veered into something closer to irresponsible."

jw

That was classic. Trumps ignorant rants on twitter about how Romney was winning the popular vote by a large margin and that the Electoral votes has the world laughing at us (solely because at the time, thats what supported his views) were hilarious, especially after he had to take them down when it became clear he was too stupid to realize that the west coast votes were not in, which were a very large population all expected to be heavy Obama. Obama won both the electoral and popular decisively, so I guess Trump has to go back to screaming for birth certificates again hahahahaha

Whether they mirror public opinion or not it doesn't change the fact that the basis is hate. As for your second thought he hasn't increased there importance as much as he is the candidate where they thought they had a chance to be heard. Romney in public opinion caters to rich white guys. True or not perception is reality and minorities won't vote for someone who doesn't care about them.

is it really just perception after his behind closed doors 47% comment? i think that's a legitimate reason for those below the median income level (disproportionately underepresented by white males) to mistrust him.

I never questioned the numbers but stating he won because he is black (and not based on his policies) is an opinion.

That is my interpretation of the numbers. Could be wrong, but that is my assessment. And yes it is an opinion, but it is not based on any bias, just my interpretation of exit poll numbers.

The market is reacting to the Euros version of Ben Bernanke saying things are going to get worse in Europe. Take 2 steps back from the ledge.

I think both sides have to do a better job of informing themselves and stop listening to the entertaining vitriol. Contrary to some views on this board, Democrats have not cornered the market on ignorance. It's not about us. It's about power. And there's $6B spent on yesterday's elections to prove it.

Bull crap! The market knows what four more years of obama means. Take a close look only thing up today is medical stocks becsuse of obama care. Stop drinking that msnbc kool aid!

I wasn't respopnding to anything you said. In fact, I refused to even open this thread until this morning. But just based on what you said, I have a guess as to where you were going. And I will tell you that for every minority who voted for Obama mostly or even just because he's black, there are two rednecks who never graduated high school, still think he wasn't born here, probably think he's a Muslim, think he's trying to take their guns away, etc., etc. So believe me, it all balances out. Have you ever driven through a really rural part of the country with giant crosses on the side of the highway? People that have never really left the northeast don't realize just how much of this country is full of people I just described. They're the reason Romney, probably a moderate, had to cater so far to the right during the primaries.

> still think he wasn't born here

During the 2008 Democratic presidential primaries, a wealthy supporter of Hillary filed a lawsuit alleging that Obama was ineligible for office, not having been born in the U.S. The judge threw the case out, arguing that the man didn't have the right to file it. (As though it should have been no concern of that man whether his nation's president was constitutionally eligible for office.) The question of Obama's birth has not (to my knowledge) been subjected to in-depth critical scrutiny. In the absence of such scrutiny, it is erroneous to express full confidence he was born here.

> think he's trying to take their guns away

People in Western European nations often lack the right to own guns. In some cases, they are prosecuted for murder for defending themselves against those who have broken into their homes. If gun rights and self defense rights can be taken away in Europe, they can also be taken away here, by people who think the way that Western European politicians think.

There had been at least some discussion about using the aftermath of Operation Fast and Furious to justify new anti-gun legislation.

> still think he wasn't born here

During the 2008 Democratic presidential primaries, a wealthy supporter of Hillary filed a lawsuit alleging that Obama was ineligible for office, not having been born in the U.S. The judge threw the case out, arguing that the man didn't have the right to file it. (As though it should have been no concern of that man whether his nation's president was constitutionally eligible for office.) The question of Obama's birth has not (to my knowledge) been subjected to in-depth critical scrutiny. In the absence of such scrutiny, it is erroneous to express full confidence he was born here.

First off, the relevance of where he is born literally has ZERO impact on his ability to lead a nation. Its a big deal only to those who oppose him for either racial reasons or political reasons solely for the purpose of putting who they want in, not because his birth place is relevant to how he governs.

Secondly, there has never been an AMERICAN president in the history of this country...why, because the ONLY AMERICANS that existed where exterminated by European WHITE men. This is country founded on diversity and freedoms, not white power. Facts are Obama was raised as an American regardless of where he was as an infant in which no human has any memory or experience of at that age to impact governing beliefs.

Thirdly, there is no proof he wasnt born here in the first place, just republican gibberish trying to grasp at straws as they desperately try and seize power in a nation thats moved on from their white privileged views. If you can disqualify him then you dont have to be better than him or beat him.

Finally, and most importantly, I did not see ANY republicans B word about Schwarzenegger not being born here when he was elected governor of CA. They do not care he was not born here...why because he is a white republican. But they do care Obama was not, because hes not a white republican.

And people wonder why minorities have been moving more and more to the democratic side...has nothing to do with a minority deomcratic candidate and everything to do with the public stupidity the GOP keeps subjecting themselves too with idiots like O Reilly, Fox News, Trump, Romney, Todd Akin, etc.

Edited by Alphadawg7

First off, the relevance of where he is born literally has ZERO impact on his ability to lead a nation. Its a big deal only to those who oppose him for either racial reasons or political reasons solely for the purpose of putting who they want in, not because his birth place is relevant to how he governs.

Secondly, there has never been an AMERICAN president in the history of this country...why, because the ONLY AMERICANS that existed where exterminated by European WHITE men. This is country founded on diversity and freedoms, not white power. Facts are Obama was raised as an American regardless of where he was as an infant in which no human has any memory or experience of at that age to impact governing beliefs.

Thirdly, there is no proof he wasnt born here in the first place, just republican gibberish trying to grasp at straws as they desperately try and seize power in a nation thats moved on from their white privileged views.

Finally, and most importantly, I did not see ANY republicans B word about Schwarzenegger not being born here when he was elected governor of CA. They do not care he was not born here...why because he is a white republican. But they do care Obama was not, because hes not a white republican.

And people wonder why minorities have been moving more and more to the democratic side...has nothing to do with a minority deomcratic candidate and everything to do with the public stupidity the GOP keeps subjecting themselves too with idiots like O Reilly, Fox News, Trump, Romney, Todd Akin, etc.

may have "zero impact" but he would be an illegitimate president.. lol.. you HAVE to be born in the USA to run for president..why do you think people are making an issue of it! i think it is stupid, but your premise that republicans are doing it because of race is wrong.why do you think people want him to release his college transcripts? rumor has it he applied to get in as a "foreign" student Edited by dwight in philly

may have "zero impact" but he would be an illegitimate president.. lol.. you HAVE to be born in the USA to run for president..why do you think people are making an issue of it! i think it is stupid, but your premise that republicans are doing it because of race is wrong.

Really? Did you hear republicans complaining Schwarzenegger wasnt born here? I didnt. It was a combination of being white and republican despite being one of the worst things to happen to CA since the last major earthquake. They complain about it because they cant beat Obama, so its the only way they can try and seize power. Has nothing to do with his ability as a President which already trumps that idiot Bush who was put into the white house despite not winning the election twice lol

Edited by Alphadawg7

Really? Did you hear republicans complaining Schwarzenegger wasnt born here? I didnt. It was a combination of being white and republican despite being one of the worst things to happen to CA since the last major earthquake. They complain about it because they cant beat Obama, so its the only way they can try and seize power. Has nothing to do with his ability as a President which already trumps that idiot Bush who was put into the white house despite not winning the election twice lol

well, you do not have to be an american citizen to run for governor.. please.. stop the nonsense ..

Did I miss something? When did Schwarzenegger run for President? You don't have to be born in the USA to run for Governor of Cal E Four Knee Ah, but you do have to be born in the U.S. to run for President. And your last statement really makes me feel better about some of the things you said to me earlier. Puts it all in perspective.

Democrats seem like a lost cause for anyone who favors freedom over other values, like fairness. They used to stand for freedom. Their platform now is everything but freedom in every way imaginable. Unless all you care about is gay marriage, freedom lovers have two choices--one guy who will take away fewer freedoms and another guy who wants to give more of them back but has no shot of becoming president of his neighborhood association let alone the country.

This isn't a "biggie" criticism but you do realize that this part of your remarks is contradictory? If there's any characteristic of Dems that drives the GOPoH partisan nuts is the party's emphasis on "fairness over freedom." And that the Dems championing of gay rights is completely in accord with this emphasis on "fairness?"

Are tools really trying to keep going with this whole Obama isn't born in America nonsense??? Get a life. Yes, Obama is a foreign born Muslim terrorist who went to Harvard Law School, became a Senate, got elected President twice, only to destroy America from inside the White House.

Congrats to Obama and the folks in PPP. They have another 4 years to root against the President of the USA.

Are tools really trying to keep going with this whole Obama isn't born in America nonsense??? Get a life. Yes, Obama is a foreign born Muslim terrorist who went to Harvard Law School, became a Senate, got elected President twice, only to destroy America from inside the White House.

Congrats to Obama and the folks in PPP. They have another 4 years to root against the President of the USA.

huh??? point?