Twitter is awesome. Leodis Mckelvin

stevestojan

If you always wondered, like me, what the purpose of twitter is, I have found the answer. It is to follow Leodis Mckelvin. Some of the things this guy posts need to force an NFL investigation as to how he supposedly received a college degree. I understand athletes get special privileges in school but he is amazing. Worth signing up for twitter.

@LMckelvin21

"I heard my lil friend got the train run on her at college." Mind you this one was one he responded to. His response: "lol. Who?"

"On this bus tryna make it to the house. What the lick read." I get that tryna is trying to. The second "sentence?" Pure Leodis.

"27 with no baby mama man life is great." In Leodis world, not inpregnating a woman is the measure of success.

They go on and on with the English language being butchered and some where I just don't have any clue what he's saying.

Enjoy.

Ok steve, it would be the NCAA who would investigate, not the NFL, because they are more worried about pay-for-play scandals than the intelligence and safety of their players. Being in the NFL at 27 without having a kid is probably a good thing. The guy may actually be smart enough to wrap it up. Compare this to McBadknee and Henry who each fathered a tribe.

As for his English skills, it is indicative of the urban culture as well as how little stock kids and parents put into schools, especially in the urban areas. While Leodis (and Drayton Florence) are from Waycross, which is essentially podunk Georgia, he is from a state that doesn't do enough for the education of the kids (speaking from experience as a teacher down there), and it shows.

"What the lick read?" is just another way of saying "What's up?"

I'm not sure how it's derived. I've heard two explanations that make sense:

The first is it's short for "What does the lottery ticket read?" Lottery tickets are called licks (L[ottery T]icks). By association, a "lick" is also any money or wealth acquired in a rapid fashion, often as a result of some criminal activity. So it would be like substituting "Did you win the lottery?" for "How are you doing?"

The second explanation I've heard is that it's a corruption of "What's the liquid weight?" said in a foreign accent. This would be a question posed in a large scale cocaine transaction to determine the potency, or simply the amount being purchased.

Or it could be some combo of the two, but in any case, kids I teach use it to greet each other all the time, and many popular rappers also use the phrase.

Which brings me to my second point. Justnzane is right that there is a cultural phenomenon regarding using proper English. What also plays a part is that while many students are able to use generally accepted standard grammar and spelling, they choose to misspell words, etc., to be cool. It is also certainly true that many kids are simply unable to do so to varying degrees.

I bet that Leodis is capable of reading and writing much better than he displays on Twitter. Granted, he likely wouldn't be confused for a Rhodes Scholar, but it'd be much more interesting (not to mention relevant) to read something he wrote for a college class if you really wanted to judge his literacy, and investigate privileges allowed for athletes. (Steve- I assume you were kidding, I'm pointing that out.)

Edited by uncle flap

If you always wondered, like me, what the purpose of twitter is, I have found the answer. It is to follow Leodis Mckelvin. Some of the things this guy posts need to force an NFL investigation as to how he supposedly received a college degree. I understand athletes get special privileges in school but he is amazing. Worth signing up for twitter.

@LMckelvin21

"I heard my lil friend got the train run on her at college." Mind you this one was one he responded to. His response: "lol. Who?"

"On this bus tryna make it to the house. What the lick read." I get that tryna is trying to. The second "sentence?" Pure Leodis.

"27 with no baby mama man life is great." In Leodis world, not inpregnating a woman is the measure of success.

They go on and on with the English language being butchered and some where I just don't have any clue what he's saying.

Enjoy.

My favorite Leodis quote came shorty after he arrived. When asked on the radio about living arrangements, Leodis replied "yeah man, I'm gonna get me one of them houses." I remember laughing out loud in the car from that one.

But in all seriousness, and yes Leodis does butcher the English language, there are millions of people (w/ high IQs) who use twitter and use the same short-form English as he does.

Leodis is gunning for a Trojan endorsement

Well, he did attend Troy University...

And, here is a link:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=WHAT%20THE%20LICK%20READ

WHAT THE LICK READ 341 up, 106 down

"how are ya doing" a salutation

calvin ax me what the lick read this morning and i said "what"?

My favorite Leodis quote came shorty after he arrived. When asked on the radio about living arrangements, Leodis replied "yeah man, I'm gonna get me one of them houses." I remember laughing out loud in the car from that one.

But in all seriousness, and yes Leodis does butcher the English language, there are millions of people (w/ high IQs) who use twitter and use the same short-form English as he does.

If we had more guys that play with swagg like he does instead of 99% of the roster being loaded with "high character" guys I think they'd be better off. And I'm not saying character isn't important in the locker room because it is. Alls I'm saying is that if we focused on athleticism alone every once in a while we'd have enough guys to help keep their heads on straight.

@LMckelvin21

Enjoy.

Well when the rest of your friends have 10 kids with 9 different women that is quite an accomplishment.

Leodis is gunning for a Trojan endorsement