Why is it that Fitz gets all blame?

UticaBill

Clearly the 32nd ranked defense is to blame for the Bills losses... I am NOT suggesting Fitz and the offense doesn't have its share of problems.... but the offense is NOT the main problem and changing QB's is not going to make ANY difference. The problem is 80-85% defensive with this team! I just can't see how anyone can throw this season's mediocrity on Fitz and the Offense.

I can even accept that there has been tons of change on defense and our players are not perfect fits for a Wanny Defense.... We did change from the 3-4 to 4-3 and for the two previous years we were drafting defensive player that fit the "new" system.... we did change defensive coordinators... we do have a young and inexperienced secodary... we do lack quality starting linebackers for the 4-3 (Barnett is great but not ideal in the 4-3) and we all knew this going into the season.... somehow this year everyone expected it all to just "work smoothly" and we'd be a playoff team.... the cold hard truth is here... the players have not adapted quickly and inexperience has shown itself regularly.... Our LB's are slow to the action and one a RB or TE make a catch underneath they are not stopped until the secondary (15-20 yds down field)

Meanwhile, despite some bad passes and bad luck (injuries) we have seen our offense consistently put up enough to pts win in 6 out of 7 weeks....

Keep blaming Fitz and the Offense... we'll never make the playoffs if the DEFENSE continues to let the offense down!

the sad truth of the matter is that very few teams increase thier win totals from one year to the next by more than 2-3 games... we were 6-10 last season and being better than a 8-8 or 9-7 team is unrealistic to hope for (as many did)

Except for the Niners game, the Bills would have two more wins IF the defense only stops the opponent on 4th down situations once in each game.... it could easily be argued they would have won 3 more if special teams was just a little more special....

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why do they have to be mutually exclusive?

Everyone here realizes the D sucks. Many want wanny and Mario run out of town already. I don't know where you are getting that Fitz is the only one bearing the brunt of criticism.

That said the beef with Fitz is the many poor throws and dumb decisions. Watching him does not inspire confidence. He has done okay and the O has put up points and put the team in position to win - however that has much more to do with Freddie and CJ than it does with Fitz. I don't think he is anything more than a time waster qb. Also in "clutch" times Fitz is woeful. The pick against the Giants last year and the pick last week both come to mind off the top of my head.

Again no one thinks Fitz is the entire problem they just don't think he is part of the solution. I will agree that LB is a way bigger need than QB but that is because we don't have any lbs that would start anywhere else in the league.

The reason is the QB is always the focal point of any team as most just watch the QB.

The reality is that last weeks game could have been won by a competent QB. The Bills got the ball back with 1:03 to go and start from their 20, all they need is a FG as the game is 34-35. First pass for 6 yards to FJ and he fails to go out of bounds, clock ticking 44 seconds. next play pass complete underneath for 2 yards. 3rd down & 2 with 33 seconds. Pass incomplete over the head of Chandler on a deflection. 4th down 31 seconds left, Fitz throws it away in the face of a blitz

I mean WTF! why throw to the outlet RB and he doesn't get out of bounds. Passes should all be to the sideline and NOT over the middle unless its a deep wide open receiver. That whole series scenario was a clusterfuk of stupidity!

I look at this and have to think bad coaching as this entire series was just bad play all around. The Bills couldn't even make a first down when the Titan are dropping into coverage! Couldn't complete a pass to the player close enough on the sideline to step out to save time. Its like numbskull's are running this team. :bag:

Fitz had a huge hand in the NYJ and SF losses in my opinion. The D is to blame in ALL the losses for sure. I think people hang it on Fitz more often than not is because when he had the chance to win the game vs. Tennessee he failed. All they had to do was hang onto the ball, or complete a pass or two. I still contend that the Bills were on their way to winning the game with 5 mins to go when Fitz completed a Huge 3rd down pass to Chandler. Instead of 1st and 10 at midfield...they threw a phantom flag on Pears and within seconds it was 3rd and 25 from our 15. Ball Game. one flag took Fitz from a possible late game winning FG or TD drive to a low life bum who should be a 3rd stringer.

He did bring the team back against NE, OAK and I think Philly last year so I know the guy can do it. It's the inconsistency...but then again, most NFL QB's cannot string together perfect games and have to rely on some D.

Edited by zow2

It's the nature of the position. Simple as that. And it can't be denied that Fitz is the only thing holding this offense back.

But he's the second coming of Joe Montana compared to how our defense is playing.

GO BILLS!!!

It's the nature of the position. Simple as that. And it can't be denied that Fitz is the only thing holding this offense back.

But he's the second coming of Joe Montana compared to how our defense is playing.

GO BILLS!!!

Well Gailey has had a hand in holding the O back as well.

hes getting paid 60 mil to win ballgames and not look inept. The defense is terrible but Fitz that doesn't absolve Fitz of his terrible performances over the years

QB's are the face of the franchise.....They get the "hero" treatment or they get the choker treatment..........Ask Tony Romo how that works.

No one ever said life is fair............

Why is it so hard for people to understand that Fitz is not a good QB, regardless of what the defense is doing? The defense has lots of issues that need to be address; coaching, bad linebackers, inexperienced CBs and WTF is wrong with everyone on the DL. We get it.

Meanwhile, at quarterback we have a guy who threw 23 picks and had 7 fumbles last year. 9 + 3 so far this year. That might be excusable if he could throw the ball like a Manning, but he can't. He is one of the worst medium-to-deep ball QB in the league and that means other teams don't need to respect the Bills passing game and that means they can key on stopping the RBs and short routes.

Just because the Bills score 30+ a couple times a year against horrible defenses doesn't change the fact that the current QB is not capable of taking this team to contender status.

Fitz doesn't get "all" the blame, and I am not sure where you even get that idea. He doesn't deserve all the blame, but--------he certainly deserves a large, large part of the blame. He is the one weak link that is killing the offense in crucial situations. Seems like he often does pretty good in the pace of a game, although far from always, but when the chips are on the table, like the end of the Titans game, he hardly ever comes through. The defense is another huge part of the problem and they get a massive part of the blame for the team sucking, but Fitz also deserves a large part of the blame as does Gailey for insisting that he is the "franchise QB" that the Bills need. Fitz is once again one of the lowest rated QBs in the league, he often badly misses on screen passes and just plain can't throw down field. The defense needs fixed for sure, but the QB position needs changed, and the Bils won't win until it is.

Edited by BuffBill

Fitz deserves no blame whatsoever. Who ever accused him of being a guy who didn't care or didn't try?

The blame is on Chan and Buddy for crowning a backup QB with compromising shortcomings a NFL starter on a team that was expected to be competitive. Fitz is actually in a tough spot. Chan has put him in a position where he can only embarrass himself and be a lightening rod for scorn.

The reason is when its a crucial time in a game Shitspatrick either makes a huge mistake of fail to make the plays to win & its just mot this season its since he became the starter Sure he had some good games but he not consistent & when be bad its really bad

What I don't is why Bills fans want this underdog, cinderella story, 7th Round QB miracle its like you want him to become the Second Coming of Tom Brady, Well that's a once in a lifetime I want the Bills to get Our QB, not another team sloppy seconds

hes getting paid 60 mil to win ballgames and not look inept. The defense is terrible but Fitz that doesn't absolve Fitz of his terrible performances over the years

QB's are the face of the franchise.....They get the "hero" treatment or they get the choker treatment..........Ask Tony Romo how that works.

No one ever said life is fair............

This. If the defense was destroying everyone and Fitz was playing like Manning he'd get all the credit. That's how it works. Or, even if he was playing well now. But the fact is he defense is beyond terrible, and Fitz is just terrible.

Obviously the defense is indefensible, but Fitz seems to have failures that are glaring and critical. To me, personally, just my own judgement, the interception at the end of the Titans game was all on Fitz, and it completely ruined the entire season, in my opinion. I can't see the Bills winning the next few games, and when the record is 3-6 or worse, the season becomes a bunch of meaningless games as we wait to see what happens with the lame duck coaching staff. That game coulda shoulda been a victory, but with that pass Fitz managed to clutch defeat out of the jaws of victory. Again. I know the final drive was also a mess, but at that point I think the entire team was in shock. The Titans smelled blood, and the Bills crumbled as a team. The line couldn't block, the receivers couldn't get open, and Fitz couldn't execute. Is it all Fitz's fault? No. Is Fitz a symbol of the hot mess that the Bills have become? Maybe.

Edited by Gray Beard

i think that fitz gets a lot of the blame because of the design of the team going to hell in a handbasket. this team was supposed to be successful because of the pressure that the front four on defense were supposed to bring (which was also supposed to mask our other defensive shortcomings until the unit as a whole had time to gel). also, on offense the team was supposed to be a more ground and pound style of team with freddy back and healthey and cj gaining valuable experience last year. injuries to freddy and cordy glenn and craig urbik have really hurt at times this year, and along with the dissapointment of the defensive front have put fitz in the situations we were trying to avoid. if he were just running the offense i think he would be fine. asking him to win us ball games...not so much. just my opinion, i could be wrong.