Draft Results, equate to inept front office

The Buffalo Bills selected 15 defensive draft picks in the last three years. The result. One of the worst defensive units in the NFL. That's not even counting free agent pick ups. Bottom line; the talent evaluating is pitiful. We have had a bad defense for a while. where else can an opposing runner shine, than against the Bills. I think that Buddy Nix might have had a decent history with the Chargers, but It's his mark on the Bills that will leave a bruise. I'm tired of this. Chan Gaily should have been an offensive coordinator here instead of a Head coach. These are all decisions made by Russ Brandon and Ralph Wilson. They should be held accountable. it looks like we will have a tough time making the playoffs again this year. As always, I prey for the bye week. usually, because we stink and need to heal up. We do need a franchise QB. Fitz is a poor mans Rex Grossman. We need leadership in Buffalo. Ralph Wilson has to see this. Sure he probably does not care because he still makes money off the Bills, but when do you say to yourself enough is enough. I'm starting to not care if I see the games or not. What's the sense sometimes. Good for Chris Kelsey for speaking up. maybe some people will listen to him. I hope this team gives me a reason to watch them.

It's not just about which players are drafted/acquired...a big part of how personnel moves translate to performance on the football field is how these players are utilized. Employing a good defensive scheme and putting players in positions to succeed is important. I don't think that is happening with this team right now....especially on the defensive side.

This team looks like it has more holes then it did 3 years ago. QB was an issue, LB was an issue, pass rush was an issue, all are still an issue.

Now, 2nd top WR is now an issue, Safety is now an issue. The Bills are really missing Poz & Whitner, and need a Lee Evans. I never thought the defense could get worse then Jauron's Tampon 2, especially with a 100 million dollar DE...but it did!

3 drafts and no top LB, more importantly no franchise QB.

Plenty of talent on this team to field a winner. QB might keep us out of the playoffs until it's upgraded, but any coaching staff worth being in the NFL should be able to mold what we have into a decent team. Heck, our O is putting up plenty of points.

What we have seen has been a complete implosion, and those run much deeper than just the players.

What can be critically said now could also be said for the past generation. Second rate ownership that is responsible for a second rate orgnanization. The central problem with the team has little to do with the team as it does with the organization. The Bills have an owner who is in his 90s and who intends to have an estate auction when he passes. Obviously there is no long term strategy for franchise sustainability other than maximizing the value of the asset to widest market (including outside bidders).

The stadium is in a shambles and should be replaced with a new facility. But plans for a new stadium or even for a major renovation of the current antiquated facility can't be addressed because the current owner won't commit to keeping the team in the region.

From my perspective issues relating to the competency of the front office, coaching staff and players is misdirected when trying to figure out why this franchise is so troubled. Until there is new ownership the franchise is going to lack the energy and creativity necessary to get back on the right track. The idea of an NFL franchise being owned by someone 94 yrs old is an absurdity in itself. Other than insatiable greed it makes absolutely no sense.

Edited by JohnC

I have word from a very reliable source that Mario's wrist wasn't the only thing the doctors were working on yesterday. Doctors were also working on a procedure to get the sand removed from his vagina. Outlook on the wrist is good but they still feel like the corse friction between his thighs may still be an issue.

As far as the draft issue goes... You can't keep going back and looking at all the talent we've missed in the draft because it will make you sick. We gots what we gots and we needs to gets the right peoples in place to help these guys succeed.

the big question in my mind is how much input wilson has in team decisions. if he has more than a little, that explains more than a lot. one poster here who claims to have inside knowledge, claims wilson's mind is all there. if that's true, i'd give good odds he's still meddling. if he's wrong, then the other bean counters are likely meddling. either way it's not good. really, what are the odds of a truly capable talent evaluater choosing this badly?

What can be critically said now could also be said for the past generation. Second rate ownership that is responsible for a second rate orgnanization. The central problem with the team has little to do with the team as it does with the organization. The Bills have an owner who is in his 90s and who intends to have an estate auction when he passes. Obviously there is no long term strategy for franchise sustainability other than maximizing the value of the asset to widest market (including outside bidders).

The stadium is in a shambles and should be replaced with a new facility. But plans for a new stadium or even for a major renovation of the current antiquated facility can't be addressed because the current owner won't commit to keeping the team in the region.

From my perspective issues relating to the competency of the front office, coaching staff and players is misdirected when trying to figure out why this franchise is so troubled. Until there is new ownership the franchise is going to lack the energy and creativity necessary to get back on the right track. The idea of an NFL franchise being owned by someone 94 yrs old is an absurdity in itself. Other than insatiable greed it makes absolutely no sense.

Yep. We can all complain about Fitz, Buddy, Chan, etc., and call for their firing, but this really is the bottom line. There is no fix on the way under the Wilson Administration.

I agree that Sand does need to be removed from his sleeve of wizard. (Borat reference) That's classic. I hate to harp on our beloved Bills, but it's so hard to always get our hopes up for a winner. Let's face it. We could not stop the ECC offense. Times are tough. I do agree that we need a game changing LB. That is what exactly started the defensive movement in San Francisco. Patrick Willis was drafted than all the other pieces, fell in place. Look at the great Bills teams of the past. Cornellious Bennet, Shane Conlan, Daryll Talley. Those were three solid LBs. It all starts with those guys. I wish we could have drafted Luke Keuckly. The guy that went before our pick. He was a Blue Chip player. But there just has to be accountability on the Defense. Our game plan sucks. Wanny was a bust in other places too. so why would he not be a bust here. Right now, I'd take Wade Phillips to be a DC. LOL He sucked as a head coach, but he was a great Defensive Coordinator. My pick for The next head coach would be Re's brother in Dallas. Someone who's a fat overbearing hard ass coach. He's got some fire in him. He is competitive and probably wants to beat the crap out of his brother. Hell, I'd take that.

I meant Rex

The Buffalo Bills selected 15 defensive draft picks in the last three years. The result. One of the worst defensive units in the NFL. That's not even counting free agent pick ups. Bottom line; the talent evaluating is pitiful. We have had a bad defense for a while. where else can an opposing runner shine, than against the Bills. I think that Buddy Nix might have had a decent history with the Chargers, but It's his mark on the Bills that will leave a bruise. I'm tired of this. Chan Gaily should have been an offensive coordinator here instead of a Head coach. These are all decisions made by Russ Brandon and Ralph Wilson. They should be held accountable. it looks like we will have a tough time making the playoffs again this year. As always, I prey for the bye week. usually, because we stink and need to heal up. We do need a franchise QB. Fitz is a poor mans Rex Grossman. We need leadership in Buffalo. Ralph Wilson has to see this. Sure he probably does not care because he still makes money off the Bills, but when do you say to yourself enough is enough. I'm starting to not care if I see the games or not. What's the sense sometimes. Good for Chris Kelsey for speaking up. maybe some people will listen to him. I hope this team gives me a reason to watch them.

Part of the problem is letting the good ones get away ! They should have matched what Poz was given by the Jags he would have been much better in this D & while he was here he always led the team in tackles .

With what they gave Mario they could have kept him here invested the 3 wasted picks 2 on Carder , & the kid from Oregon & then the one on T Jack they could have had a good LB corp Poz use the other picks to go & get Kuechly & Barnett that would have been much more formitable LB corp which is a weak point & still had money to spare but the FO decisions although they try never pan out & we waste a lot of good picks .

SO just in this post we have a second on Poz ? Carder the O line kid from Oregon & the wasted pick in the trade for T Jack theres 4 in what # years not bad ???

Drafting is not an exact science. Bills have gotten good draft grades from the "experts" on TV during the Nix era. One has to question are they a good fit for the scheme you are running and is the chemistry of the team is correct. The Offense seems to be working well as a unit whereas the Defense is a bunch of individuals. I look at the top 4 rounds to make impact. Don't rely on the later rounds to be nothing more than special teams or back ups. Rarely do you find a starter there ala Stevie Johnson.

No one in this organization is ever held accountable for their performance (or lack of) just a few sacrificial lambs thrown into the volcano from time to time which temporarily appeases the fan base. The root cause is the owner and upper management not being accountable for continual failure.

At least we own the record for longest current playoff drought. See we are good at being bad.

You look at the Pats and Jets in our division and see what happens when ownership changes. The Patriots recent success coincides with Bob Kraft taking over. And while Jets fans would probably say Leon Hess was a great guy the team has recently changed course with Woody Johnson. Although the jury is out with this rendition of the team and whether you like them or not they did go to 2 consecutive AFC title games. Other exampes, the Falcons with Blank, change of the guard with the Colts and Cardinals. The steady hand and system of the Rooney's in Pittsburgh.

well many of those players were drafted to be 3-4 players and we now run a 4-3 defense...

I dont think we have had bad drafts at all...and I think in 5 years looking back we will have drafted several pro-bowl players

Spiller, Dareus, Glenn, Gilmore all have shown flashes of great play in their short NFL careers

Hairston is the prototype swing NLF tackle and I think would make a really good RT (but Pears is also a really good RT so hes stuck)

TJ Graham could turn out to be good

Carrington has had an impact this year even though he was drafted in the mold of 3-4

Searcy has looked capable at safety

Sheppard - who knows, hes looked lost...he could be the worst pick under Nix but we will see

Williams - has struggled mightily so far at CB

Overall I think there has been solid draft decisions by this front office, hasent ever been a "franchise QB" worth taking - Cam was gone so we took Dareus

many faults of this organization, just dont see the past three drafts being a major one (yet)

Yes, Spiller, Dareus, Glenn & Gilmore worked out so far, but out of 27 Draft selections, 5 is not good enough! The later rounds are where you find system players or "right fits". But it hurts when you go from a 4-3 to a 3-4 for 2 years than back to a 4-3. WTF. When Chan Gaily was brought on he was noted as a person that adjusts to his players. We had a 4-3 and he wanted to go to a 3-4 with no personal in place. That was a huge mistake. but even if he wanted to go to a 3-4. You have to get the personel and commit to it. not bail after 1-2 seasons. Look at New England and Pittsburgh. They get the system in place, get the players that compliment the system and game plan. They stay with the game plan, That is why they have always been to the playoffs. We do not have an identity on Def. other than a bad one. If you want to run the 4-3 you need the line. Yes, we have that. but in todays vertical game the DB's and LB's have to be fast and be able to take on a bull rush. Our LB's cannot cope. Other than Nick Barnett, our LB's lack the speed and strength to keep up with The Jets and The Patriots. You have to figure out a way to beat those two teams before anyone else. They are division rivals, and have dominated us for over 10 years. Why do you think that happens? They know our system and can exploit it. The problem is, I think Gaily has the right system in place on offense and has the right people, besides a good 2nd receiver and a QB, but that is the guy we should have looked for when he got here. Do you think that 100 Mill on a defensive end is more valuable than your team leader on offense? It would not have put this franchise back, if we grabbed a good spread offense QB over the years. Colin Kapernick would have been the perfect fit. The problem is our talent evaluation and the need to fill the crucial positions like QB, LB and DE. Nix has to be accountable. Bottom line.