Offer Huge Money To Defensive Guru...

This team would be a playoff team if we had a defensive guru. We need a Mike Nolan/Wade Phillips type. I guarantee we would have a very respectable defense if the scheme/leadership was there on defense. It might be wishful thinking, but since we are Buffalo, we have to offer big dough to draw coaches. I would be satisfied this offseason if we kept Gailey but offered big dough to a proven defensive coach and got a QB in the 1st round of the draft to develop.

If we are willing to drop $100 million on a player, how can you not be willing to drop a couple million on a coordinator who can maximize the success of these players that are paid so much. It is well worth the investment. I know, people will say Ralph doesnt pay top dollar for coaching, but if you are going to pay a guy $17 million a year (Mario) and not use him right, then that is a wasted investment. It is wise to bring in coaches that can set people up for success to allow your other investments (like player contracts) to pan out. It is a smart business decision.

One complication:

Gailey only makes $600,000 per year. It would be pretty odd to pay a coordinator more than the coach but we will have to offer in the millions to get a top notch D-coordinator in Buffalo.

We can't keep Gailey, coming into this season I was a huge Chan supporter but I've since changed my mind. I am completely perplexed by some of his late game play calling and his unwillingness to run the ball even though we are built for it and have great success. Furthermore his decision making as far as DCs goes is putrid. I like the roster and I'm okay with Nix/Whaley but Chan is not the man. He's an OC at best

Mangini is an optimal candidate for Def Coor. He has a record of being able to defeat New England. He did so with Jets and with Cleveland.

I don't know that he'll ever be hired as a head coach again but he should be a def coordinator. He did pick/draft good talent when he was with Jets and Cleveland,

but also did some bonehad moves as well. but, imho, I would love for Mangini to be our Def coor. Won't happen though ... he's not a "Chan" guy ... no chemistry.

I don't undestand why top coaches do not make more money. Football is the ultimate team sport, and great coaches make a huge difference. You stil need talent, but why not create a competitive advantage by paying for the best at the coordinator positons.

Chan is in the last of his contract. So, there is light at the end of the tunnel. We've retread on some coaches and misfired. I think we need a young fiery type

Edited by KollegeStudnet

we had a defensive guru a few years ago. his name was dick jauron.

the offense sucked and defense sucked (even though they were never blown out as much as they have been the past few years) and EVERYONE clamored for an offensive guru.

now we have an offensive guru, and the offense and defense still suck.

it's been said 100,000,000x, they will NOT be relevant until there is

A) new ownership commited to putting a competent staff (from GM to Head Coach to scouts...all the way down to the guy who cleans the uniforms)

B) a quaterback

That is all!

we had a defensive guru a few years ago. his name was dick jauron.

the offense sucked and defense sucked (even though they were never blown out as much as they have been the past few years) and EVERYONE clamored for an offensive guru.

now we have an offensive guru, and the offense and defense still suck.

it's been said 100,000,000x, they will NOT be relevant until there is

A) new ownership commited to putting a competent staff (from GM to Head Coach to scouts...all the way down to the guy who cleans the uniforms)

B) a quaterback

That is all!

True. Knowing that ownership change is a certainty, and might come at anytime, will keep the kind of high powered coach we need out of the mix. Simply, very few people are going to leave a steady, and presumably high paying and satisfying gig, to take a pro-level head coaching job knowing that it might be a one year stint since any new owner is likely to take a serious look at bringing in a guy of his choosing.

Gailey only makes $600,000 per year. It would be pretty odd to pay a coordinator more than the coach but we will have to offer in the millions to get a top notch D-coordinator in Buffalo.

What's the source of this amount?

This team would be a playoff team if we had a defensive guru. We need a Mike Nolan/Wade Phillips type. I guarantee we would have a very respectable defense if the scheme/leadership was there on defense. It might be wishful thinking, but since we are Buffalo, we have to offer big dough to draw coaches. I would be satisfied this offseason if we kept Gailey but offered big dough to a proven defensive coach and got a QB in the 1st round of the draft to develop.

If we are willing to drop $100 million on a player, how can you not be willing to drop a couple million on a coordinator who can maximize the success of these players that are paid so much. It is well worth the investment. I know, people will say Ralph doesnt pay top dollar for coaching, but if you are going to pay a guy $17 million a year (Mario) and not use him right, then that is a wasted investment. It is wise to bring in coaches that can set people up for success to allow your other investments (like player contracts) to pan out. It is a smart business decision.

One complication:

Gailey makes only 600K per? For some reason I don't believe that is accurate or even close? Link?

Wasn't everyone here last year screaming how the Bills need to put the defensive guru named Wannstadt in as D Co-Ordinator to get rid of George Edwards?

I can't wait til next season when everyone will be screaming how the Bills need to hire a new D Co-Ordinator to replace the defensive Guru Nolan/Phillips/Ryan/Mangini/etc when that doesn't work out to their liking.

Wasn't everyone here last year screaming how the Bills need to put the defensive guru named Wannstadt in as D Co-Ordinator to get rid of George Edwards?

I can't wait til next season when everyone will be screaming how the Bills need to hire a new D Co-Ordinator to replace the defensive Guru Nolan/Phillips/Ryan/Mangini/etc when that doesn't work out to their liking.

Of course, but folks did not know Wannstedt would bring his 1980s thinking with him!

We expected the guy to be current with defensive football of the 21st century.

Fans know nothing. Unfortunately, our head coach seems to know nothing about defense.

One complication:

I was actually thinking starting a similar post but we don't need to pay the DC millions. All this crap that we have to over pay is just buffalonian negativity.

Any position coach would jump at the opportunity to come here, we just need to find a young creative mind to come here, I'm thinking Kevin Greene or someone like that.

I think Chan has really done a good job with a woeful QB and WRs and to get all the points he has with this unit is simply amazing. He has drove me nuts with some playcalling and critical in game decisions (like not going for 2) but overall he has done well to get this offense scoring. If we get him a Real QB and WRs this offense could be obscene.

Also Nix needs to go bc his drafts have been quite poor; the 2010 was a complete disaster minus Spiller, 2009 has been disappointing as Dareus, Williams and Sheppard have been poor to average at best and this year we wasted 4 draft picks and another one next year for a QB that has been inactive every game. :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

It's time for Whaley to take over.

We need Nolan on this team yesterday!

Man SJ all these Nolan supporters must be driving you Nuts :D

Our defense could not be any worse then now. We don't need the high priced guy but maybe a passionate firey guy who is also looking for a break. A guy like .... Mike Stoops, Oklahoma. He'll call up some blitzes and throw around some high fives like Mike Tomlin or Pete Carroll. These guys play to tight and need to get aggressive and start flying to the ball and crackn' people. The kind of Dee Dave W used to coach.

Also Nix needs to go bc his drafts have been quite poor; the 2010 was a complete disaster minus Spiller, 2009 has been disappointing as Dareus, Williams and Sheppard have been poor to average at best and this year we wasted 4 draft picks and another one next year for a QB that has been inactive every game. :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

From what I heard, the Bills would have to give up a 6th round draft pick if TJax is active for more than 5 games this year. I don't have a link and my source is a co-worker (who's knowledge I respect), but if it's true, it's certainly an interesting deal...it would give them until Week 13 to activate him if they don't want to give up that draft pick. :huh:

The problem with Jauron and what Gailey is doing now is that they're hands-off when it comes to the opposite side of the ball. That is, Gailey's an offense guy, so he seems to be giving Wanny complete control of the defense and stays out of it. Conversely, Jauron let someone else control the offense and (for the most part) stayed out of it.

I disagree with this philosophy. As a HC, he needs to be involved with all units - offense, defense, and special teams. Yes, the HC may have had a specialty in previous jobs, but once he takes over as the head coach, he becomes the coordinator of all units and manages the game. Gailey seems to be too busy being an offensive coordinator/play caller to manage the game. What he should have done this year was step back and let Modkins run the O.

Edited by BuffaloWings

Mangini is an optimal candidate for Def Coor. He has a record of being able to defeat New England. He did so with Jets and with Cleveland.

I don't know that he'll ever be hired as a head coach again but he should be a def coordinator. He did pick/draft good talent when he was with Jets and Cleveland,

but also did some bonehad moves as well. but, imho, I would love for Mangini to be our Def coor. Won't happen though ... he's not a "Chan" guy ... no chemistry.

Manigini is an "optimal coordinator"?? Where was that??

His players don't respect him because they think he's an a++hole. He's been fired from the Jets and the Browns.

You want him because he can beat NE? So did George Edwards--maybe we should get him back too?

Mangini has been a DC for exactly one season--in NE, where the real DC of course is BB. In Cleveland, his DCC was Rob Ryan. Defense still sucked.

From what I heard, the Bills would have to give up a 6th round draft pick if TJax is active for more than 5 games this year. I don't have a link and my source is a co-worker (who's knowledge I respect), but if it's true, it's certainly an interesting deal...it would give them until Week 13 to activate him if they don't want to give up that draft pick. :huh:

The problem with Jauron and what Gailey is doing now is that they're hands-off when it comes to the opposite side of the ball. That is, Gailey's an offense guy, so he seems to be giving Wanny complete control of the defense and stays out of it. Conversely, Jauron let someone else control the offense and (for the most part) stayed out of it.

I disagree with this philosophy. As a HC, he needs to be involved with all units - offense, defense, and special teams. Yes, the HC may have had a specialty in previous jobs, but once he takes over as the head coach, he becomes the coordinator of all units and manages the game. Gailey seems to be too busy being an offensive coordinator/play caller to manage the game. What he should have done this year was step back and let Modkins run the O.

I almost hope this is true because it would at least provide some insight as to why they have been refusing to give T-Jax reps....on the other hand, if this was true, that means they were willing to hold the team back by starting Fitz until week 13 just to save a 6th round draft pick??

That would be 1000x worst than the Brad Smith Wildcat throw.

I don't want a young up and comer fiery experiment. I want a guy with a nearly flawless resume on defense which is why I mentioned Wade Phillips and Mike Nolan. If you look at their career of the 1st year they took over defenses, the results are dramatic; ALWAYS vast improvement. I will be happy with nothing less. While guys like Kevin Greene seem appealing, they have no proven d-coordinator record to go on. I don't want those guys.

I don't want a young up and comer fiery experiment. I want a guy with a nearly flawless resume on defense which is why I mentioned Wade Phillips and Mike Nolan. If you look at their career of the 1st year they took over defenses, the results are dramatic; ALWAYS vast improvement. I will be happy with nothing less. While guys like Kevin Greene seem appealing, they have no proven d-coordinator record to go on. I don't want those guys.

And I want Mario Williams money and an ocean side mansion

Where do you suppose we get one of these "nearly flawless resume on defence" guys? You do realise guys like that aren't readily available, and to get Wade or Nolan, you would have to offer them the HC spot because they won't be making a lateral move to come to Buffalo to just be the DC.