Mike Nolan for DC...right now

26TrapDraw

I'm an idiot didn't realize hes in atlanta but the point is our base 43 stays to base. We dont disguise coverages and we dont blitz. Notice how at halftime the opposing OC makes adjustments. And we change nothing couple that with no heart and no effort and you get the Bills D...worst in the league

Edited by LVBillsBackr

He's the DC for Atlanta already.

A coordinator from the outside wouldn't have time to install his schemes etc. If Wanny were fired the new DC would have to come from within.

Wanny's problem is he's too vanilla and can't/won't make adjustments. We need an agressive play caller that can make adjustments and fire up the front 7!

Nolan just jumped from the Dolphins to the Falcons so I highly doubt he would take a step down to come to Buffalo

Forget Nolan, Forget Wade Phillips after what RW did to him, even tho the thought of him as HC would help me forget the last lost decade. Forget Dom Capers as he is DC of the Packers, and like Nolan I don't see him taking a step down. Forget Dick LeBeau of the Steelers 70+ years old. Perhaps someone from Seattle (Gus Bradley) or Chicago.(Rod Marineli)

The Bills need a winning coach with some serious ability, Vic Fangio current DC of the 49ers the #1 defense in the NFL last season and this season

He's the DC for Atlanta already.

A coordinator from the outside wouldn't have time to install his schemes etc. If Wanny were fired the new DC would have to come from within.

I call B.S. here. Had a long debate with a friend and fellow Bills fan of @25 years.

First, its the bye week. Second, he wouldnt have to install a brand new scheme. Keep the scheme we have, study it, improve it, and install a couple new looks per week. Watch film, learn your players, and actually try to put them in position to do what they do best.

And, its an audition possibly for HC. And, in the off-season, he'd be weeks ahead for installing his schemes for next season, and in evaluating what he has on the team.

And, he can rely on the current assistants for continuity, verbage, etc. If Wade Phillips got fired tonight, you wouldn't hire him tomorrow morning because its the middle of the season??? (spare me the 3-4 defense excuse; you get my point).

Make a move. Think outside the box. Give me hope.

Edited by maddenboy

I call B.S. here. Had a long debate with a friend and fellow Bills fan of @25 years.

First, its the bye week. Second, he wouldnt have to install a brand new scheme. Keep the scheme we have, study it, improve it, and install a couple new looks per week. Watch film, learn your players, and actually try to put them in position to do what they do best.

And, its an audition possibly for HC. And, in the off-season, he'd be weeks ahead for installing his schemes for next season, and in evaluating what he has on the team.

And, he can rely on the current assistants for continuity, verbage, etc. If Wade Phillips got fired tonight, you wouldn't hire him tomorrow morning because its the middle of the season??? (spare me the 3-4 defense excuse; you get my point).

Could a new guy do worse?

As of today? Yes any of our position coaches would be better options.

Further, we couldn't even call one of these guys to ask if they'd want to interview.

There's outside the box, and there's simply pointless speculation. Which is this really?

doesnt have to be someone currently employed. College? Network TV? Or CFL?

Also, we can call someone if its an upgrade, like a position coach on another team, right? Teams cant, or by gentleman's agreement wont, block a promotion, right?

Work with me here. We all want the same thing.

Edited by maddenboy

I'm an idiot didn't realize hes in atlanta but the point is our base 43 stays to base. We dont disguise coverages and we dont blitz. Notice how at halftime the opposing OC makes adjustments. And we change nothing couple that with no heart and no effort and you get the Bills D...worst in the league

Glad you realized your error, you should use the full editor to change your title as well.

That Said I would love him here too :thumbsup:

What we need is maybe some one from their staff to become our DC this offseason, bc Wanny is in the stone age as far defense goes.

Nolan just jumped from the Dolphins to the Falcons so I highly doubt he would take a step down to come to Buffalo

Forget Nolan, Forget Wade Phillips after what RW did to him, even tho the thought of him as HC would help me forget the last lost decade. Forget Dom Capers as he is DC of the Packers, and like Nolan I don't see him taking a step down. Forget Dick LeBeau of the Steelers 70+ years old. Perhaps someone from Seattle (Gus Bradley) or Chicago.(Rod Marineli)

The Bills need a winning coach with some serious ability, Vic Fangio current DC of the 49ers the #1 defense in the NFL last season and this season

All this

Want a coach who players will quit on? Then Mike Nolan's the man. Ask the niners.

He's changed since 49ers days and Atlanta loves him now.

so who would you want mid season? (and Wade isn't getting fired)

Want a coach who players will quit on? Then Mike Nolan's the man. Ask the niners.

Must be nice to have a career where you get paid millions AND you have the option to quit on the coach when you feel like it....

Must be nice to have a career where you get paid millions AND you have the option to quit on the coach when you feel like it....

It would be nice. Just picture, you decide one day that you don't your boss at work so you start half-assing it. As a result, your boss is fired and someone that you like better is hired.

It would be nice. Just picture, you decide one day that you don't your boss at work so you start half-assing it. As a result, your boss is fired and someone that you like better is hired.

I typically always support the players in contract negotiations and revenue sharing agreements, etc....their lives are literally at risk every time they suit up in the name of our entertainment. I respect the hell out of them for that. But anyone who intentionally stops putting forth their best effort during those 60 mins each week loses my respect immediately. That is low class no matter how you look at it. The team can't say, "hey, Mario, you're not really doing much out there so we're going to half-ass your pay this week...." These guys have a contract and they should honor that contract with effort. That's the absolutely LEAST that should be expected.

Glad you realized your error, you should use the full editor to change your title as well.

That Said I would love him here too :thumbsup:

What we need is maybe some one from their staff to become our DC this offseason, bc Wanny is in the stone age as far defense goes.

All this

He's changed since 49ers days and Atlanta loves him now.

Help. Me out BB...dont know how to use full edit feature...change my title so i can stop twisting in the breeze of embarrassment :)

so who would you want mid season? (and Wade isn't getting fired)

Edited by LVBillsBackr

Look - Wanny's not that stupid. Watch the games, the 4 man rush is not effective and his defense is predicated on the front four winning the 1:1 battles - they're not and the LB's aren't making plays. The DB's are making 48% of the tackles - that's right check the team tackles and you'll see. Almost 50% of the tackles coming from the 4-5 smallest guys! No wonder they get burned later in the games - they've been steamrolled for 3 quarters!!

Look - Wanny's not that stupid. Watch the games, the 4 man rush is not effective and his defense is predicated on the front four winning the 1:1 battles - they're not and the LB's aren't making plays. The DB's are making 48% of the tackles - that's right check the team tackles and you'll see. Almost 50% of the tackles coming from the 4-5 smallest guys! No wonder they get burned later in the games - they've been steamrolled for 3 quarters!!

So then… in what way is Wanny not stupid?

I disagree, I think Wannstooge is stupid and the worst DC the Bills have ever had. Either that or he is tanking the defense on purpose. Its tough to believe he can be this bad with all his NFL experience as DC.

Did you happen to watch the Tampa Bay - Viking game Thurs night? The Buc's run a 4-3 and they were constantly sending LBers, safeties and CB's to blitz the QB. The Vikes QB was under constant duress and was forced to throw the ball away down after down. Needless to say the TB defense won that game for them hands down. At the end of the game when the score was 36-17 the Buc's stopped blitzing and rushed only 4, and dropped into coverage. The Vikings were finally able to move the ball somewhat.

The Bucs, who became just the second visiting team to win on a Thursday night in seven games this season, revived their struggling pass rush with three sacks and flustered Christian Ponder with a heavy dose of blitzes. Ponder finished 19 for 35 for 251 yards, one touchdown and a late interception at the end of a desperation drive.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/gametracker/recap/NFL_20121025_TB@MIN

Wannstooges idea is to rush 4, from the same position and no blitzes. Drop into coverage and defend. The Bills are currently 31st in total defense, last against the run. Guess what? His defense sucks moose dangle, and so does he. :lol:

I will always be a proponent of the Buddy Ryan philosophy of defense, which is basically the exact opposite of Wanny. I believe in sending one more guy than the offense can account for, raising all kinds of hell, and forcing the offense to take lots and lots of chances. They'll hit plays here and there, but you'll get lots of turnovers and the defenders will have a whole lot more fun. We HAVE the guys to take this approach, but instead Wanny insists on his "defense should be simple" bullcrap. The best DCs are the ones who show different looks that confuse the offense, force them into bad line calls, reduce the time the QB has in the pocket, and make life miserable for the offense in general. Instead, we let Brady, Hasselbeck, etc sit back there ALLLLL day and find open receivers. I'm sorry, but that's stupid.

My favorite kind of 4-3 defense is the type Jim Johnson ran in Philly. Agressive zone blitz heavy defense but also predicated on elite penetrating front 4 (which would fit Dareus's and Kyle Williams abilities perfectally) primarily blitzing lb's and safeties and zone cover corners

My favorite kind of 4-3 defense is the type Jim Johnson ran in Philly. Agressive zone blitz heavy defense but also predicated on elite penetrating front 4 (which would fit Dareus's and Kyle Williams abilities perfectally) primarily blitzing lb's and safeties and zone cover corners

time for a resurrection.

I will always be a proponent of the Buddy Ryan philosophy of defense, which is basically the exact opposite of Wanny. I believe in sending one more guy than the offense can account for, raising all kinds of hell, and forcing the offense to take lots and lots of chances. They'll hit plays here and there, but you'll get lots of turnovers and the defenders will have a whole lot more fun. We HAVE the guys to take this approach, but instead Wanny insists on his "defense should be simple" bullcrap. The best DCs are the ones who show different looks that confuse the offense, force them into bad line calls, reduce the time the QB has in the pocket, and make life miserable for the offense in general. Instead, we let Brady, Hasselbeck, etc sit back there ALLLLL day and find open receivers. I'm sorry, but that's stupid.

Exactly

When you edit your post there is an option to use full editor, just edit only allows you to modify your post whereas the full allows for Title change too.