Mario Williams considering wrist surgery (now confirmed)

buffalo1983

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This reminds me of Lindy Ruff's vague injury list each year for the Sabres. Would this be considered an "upper body injury" under that system?

All hockey teams do that, because all hockey teams have goons to dispatch that won't hesitate to target a specific injured body part had they the knowledge of what it was.

WHY THE SECRECY ????......mario & bills should spell out the exact nature of injury/procedure...

The coach said he thinks the procedure was performed Tuesday, but was coy about everything else when it came to Williams, as evidenced by the following exchange with reporters.

Question: When and how was the decision made?

Gailey: I don't know all that. They told me what happened and said he'll be ready next week, that's all I know right now.

Q: So you're not clear on exactly what the issue is with the wrist?

Gailey: No.

Q: Is that Williams' decision , or does he have to run it by team doctors?

Gailey: I don't know how all that's made, I just know it happened.

Q: Just to clarify, was it a surgical procedure? You said procedure.

Gailey: I don't know exactly what it was, to be honest with you. I don't know if they did something non-invasive or invasive.

http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20121025/SPORTS/121029541/1004

My god, that's gold Jerry. Gold!!!

The jauronification of Chan Gailey is nearly complete.

why would they give details?

just makes it easier to target. less details the better, hence it was even left off the report.

oh, but so the fans can talk about it?

Well, everyone in the world knew he had a wrist injury before the "procedure", so not sure why that the details would make a difference to anyone who wants to target him. ANd why is it we hear about everyone else's injury related surgery (ACL repairs, sports hernia repairs, achilles repairs,......etc), yet Mario's is a secret?

BANIA!

just makes it easier to target. less details the better, hence it was even left off the report.

Because it's epically bad PR. His drive is already under question, his impact save one or two games has been non existent. This mystery "procedure" seems contrived. Mystery always breeds more talk than facts. Hands-down better to give the details.

On your other point, his wrist is injured. People know where his wrist is. The specifics of the injury doesn't help opponents injure it even more.

The jauronification of Chan Gailey is nearly complete.

His journey to the Jauron Side?

Are they going to target the left ligament vs. the right ligament of the wrist or something? That is pretty precise targeting!

Doesn't the NFL make them report this stuff - be transparent about it? It's not as much for the fans as for gambling purposes.

Well, everyone in the world knew he had a wrist injury before the "procedure", so not sure why that the details would make a difference to anyone who wants to target him. ANd why is it we hear about everyone else's injury related surgery (ACL repairs, sports hernia repairs, achilles repairs,......etc), yet Mario's is a secret?

BANIA!

Exactly!

if you read between the lines......the bills do not think his injury is serious at all, hence not listing it on the injury report.....also going so far as to suggest it's much more mental than physical.

in addition, by gailey not even knowing if the procedure was done in buffalo or houston, suggest Mario doesn't trust the bills doctors. he knows something is wrong and may have gone back to houston to doctors he trusts.

Gailey, who again refused to say how much he thought Williams was being affected by the injury, explained why the procedure could be beneficial to the player beyond its physical impact. “Every advantage that you can get mentally for every player is great,” the coach said. “Everything that makes them feel better about playing, it helps.”

BANIA!

is it inside the wrist, outside, would it be more effected by pressure or impact? details really dont do anything for us, but giving an accurate report certainly isnt to the teams benefit. heck, gregg williams saying target the outside of crabtrees knee.

even if they do tell us, i guess we still have no idea if its A) honest or B) severe.

injury reports are pretty asinine to begin with. i wouldnt hang on it near as much as many around here do. i get caught up in it myself, but theres really no reason.

why didnt the bills release fitzs ribs? they didnt want him hit in the ribs any more than needed.

Maybe there is something behind that fine. Seems like he might have been unhappy with how the staff was handling the injury.

unhappy is an understatement.....there is a complete lack of trust with coaches and management (who implied it was all in his head and refused to list him on the injury report) and the bills doctors who failed to diagnose the severity of the injury.

WHY THE SECRECY ????......mario & bills should spell out the exact nature of injury/procedure...

Williams was not in attendance Wednesday – the first practice he’s missed all season – a day after The Buffalo News reported he was considering surgery on his wrist. Gailey was vague on any other details surrounding the procedure, saying he had “no idea” whether it was performed in Buffalo or in Houston, where Williams played the first six seasons of his career.

The coach said he “thinks” the procedure was performed Tuesday, but was coy about everything else when it came to Williams, as evidenced by the following exchange with reporters.

Question: When and how was the decision made?

Gailey: “I don’t know all that. They told me what happened and said he’ll be ready next week, that’s all I know right now.”

Q: So you’re not clear on exactly what the issue is with the wrist?

Gailey: “No.”

Q: Is that Williams’ decision , or does he have to run it by team doctors?

Gailey: “I don’t know how all that’s made, I just know it happened.”

Q: Just to clarify, was it a surgical procedure? You said procedure.

Gailey: “I don’t know exactly what it was, to be honest with you. I don’t know if they did something non-invasive or invasive.

http://www.buffalone.../121029541/1004

Sounds like someone who is in total control of the situation.

When Williams had arthroscopic surgery on his wrist Tuesday, it was much to the surprise of the Bills.

Team sources say Williams was a no-show Monday before he texted a trainer and his defensive line coach to say he was getting a second opinion on his wrist and, subsequently, that he was undergoing arthroscopic surgery.

Then he said he would be back for practice Monday and expects to play next Sunday against his former team, the Houston Texans. -espn

When Williams had arthroscopic surgery on his wrist Tuesday, it was much to the surprise of the Bills.

Team sources say Williams was a no-show Monday before he texted a trainer and his defensive line coach to say he was getting a second opinion on his wrist and, subsequently, that he was undergoing arthroscopic surgery.

Then he said he would be back for practice Monday and expects to play next Sunday against his former team, the Houston Texans. -espn

There have been a couple of ex-Bills who have made remarks after they changed teams. One I remember was Coy Wire when he went to Atlanta (I think).

He remarked how after leaving Buffalo the huge change in experience he went through in regards to the staff, training, doctors, and just the way the franchise was run as a whole. I believe he went as far as saying he had no idea what the NFL really was until he left the Bills.

I wonder in M. Williams isn't experiencing the exact same thing today? Especially coming from the Texans, a certified NFL team. The Bills comments and vagueness are really bothersome with their man Mario.

If that ESPN story is completely true, then Gailey has lost command and control of the team. He is a glorified offensive coordinator.

I'm not loving it but were making a lot of assumptions on little info.

Isn't Monday going into a bye normally an off day? If so, hardly a no-show. For instance. Could have been a long series if texts with them saying go ahead in it.

No show and text sound bad but it could be less scandalous. Espn is notorious for manufacturing drama. This does have a lot of smoke around it though, so I won't say there's no fire.

if you read between the lines......the bills do not think his injury is serious at all, hence not listing it on the injury report.....also going so far as to suggest it's much more mental than physical.

in addition, by gailey not even knowing if the procedure was done in buffalo or houston, suggest Mario doesn't trust the bills doctors. he knows something is wrong and may have gone back to houston to doctors he trusts.

Gailey, who again refused to say how much he thought Williams was being affected by the injury, explained why the procedure could be beneficial to the player beyond its physical impact. “Every advantage that you can get mentally for every player is great,” the coach said. “Everything that makes them feel better about playing, it helps.”

So, reading this it appears that it's a good thing that Gailey is clueless?

I was a Gailey fan. Rapidly losing faith in his ability to run this entire team, offense included. Seems like he's lost all control. Hope that was just a bad (string of) press conference and not indicative of his role on this team.

Gailey's starting to remind me of Sgt. Schultz.