Defensive calls on final drive

vegas55

I don't agree with many who blame Wanny for what's bordering on a historically bad defense, but watching the final Titans drive has to have you shaking your head over his defensive calls/decisions. With just a little over 2 minutes and Titans facing 3rd and one, you had to expect a run, since the two minute warning was going to stop the clock anyway. But Wanny has his two linebacker, prevent defense in and the Bills D was just outmanned on Johnson's 27 yard run. On the other hand, on the 4th and 9, you had to be expecting pass. But George Wilson gets frozen trying to decide who to help in coverage, Byron Scott covering the tight end who was breaking over the middle into or Rodgers covering WR Washington. He ends up doing neither. But why, on a play that has to be a pass, is a linebacker covering a receiving tight end. Specifically why is McKelvin not out there instead. He can cover a TE like that in his sleep, and maybe Wilson can have an easy decision to help the cornerback who is only in his second year, was a 7 rd pick, and who had just got burned for a 17 yard reception on a second and 18 situation. First round pick, McKelvin, with all his mad athletic talent, was our 3rd corner, covering the slot, the entire training camp and pre season. But I guess a bad game in the opener has him banished to the bench. I believe he is a better cover corner than Justin Rodgers, but I know he can cover a tight end better than any linebacker we have. He should have been out there in coverage on what was an obvious passing play, there was no need for a linebacker there. And that's on Wanny.

Wanny was too busy in the booth to pick up on that...he was watching the small tv in his booth and just getting to the good part in "Remember the Titans" where they play the State Championship game and he was analyzing their defensive scheme to utilize in that same situation. Can't blame him.

First round pick, McKelvin, with all his mad athletic talent, was our 3rd corner, covering the slot, the entire training camp and pre season. But I guess a bad game in the opener has him banished to the bench.

Rogers was hurt in camp, he won the job from McKelvin last season, and the opener only helped confirm the decision for when Rogers was back healthy. Edited by Carey Bender

It's more than the last drive. There was a 3rd down earlier in the game where they brought Chris Kelsay in from the sideline and had him line up outside, covering Kenny Britt. Fortunately the Titans failed to exploit that, but any defense that intentionally has Chris Kelsay covering ANY wide receiver is foolish.

Opponents are playing Wannstedt like a violin. We're running pre-season vanilla defense. Professional offensive coordinators are going to figure out how to beat you. It really isn't that hard when you're that predictable. The only hint of creativity this week was flipping Williams and Moore to opposite sides on passing downs. That was it for the week.

With the bye week what day does this week's defensive gameplan get postmarked?

mckelvin is a terrible DB. he's not the answer. it's been shown that he is a better return man when he's not on the field playing D. he is an above avg returner and below avg dback so let's just let him return. our DB's are just terrible overall. aaron williams should not even be in the league and he's the 2nd best cover guy we have?! what a bust of a pick he was. i think gilmore will eventually get there where he is a good #2 guy, he's still very young, but he is definitely not a shut down corner. i hate the jets but whenever i watch cromartie or a healthy revis, i get jealous. florence wasn't amazing or anything but i wish we still had him. i think if we can get a shut down corner in the offseason then we will be looking good. we already have great safeties but they can't cover the whole field by themselves. a. williams just gets beat way too often. they toy with him. it's embarassing. and when they bring in these no-name guys in the nickel then it's just doubly embarassing

The defense that Wanny has been running is so vanilla, any team is capable of picking us apart. How can you justify having Rogers covering the Titan's best receiver. It should not matter where the player lines up. In Wanny's defense Rogers plays the slot receiver irregardless of who it is.

On the deciding play we should have been in man to man coverage with double on the best players including Rogers. We should have blitzed with all linebackers forcing the Titans to keep the tight ends in for protection. Just my two cents but at least it is more original than anything Wanny has been able to come up with this year.

It's more than the last drive. There was a 3rd down earlier in the game where they brought Chris Kelsay in from the sideline and had him line up outside, covering Kenny Britt. Fortunately the Titans failed to exploit that, but any defense that intentionally has Chris Kelsay covering ANY wide receiver is foolish.

Opponents are playing Wannstedt like a violin. We're running pre-season vanilla defense. Professional offensive coordinators are going to figure out how to beat you. It really isn't that hard when you're that predictable. The only hint of creativity this week was flipping Williams and Moore to opposite sides on passing downs. That was it for the week.

I remember that play and was thinking the same thing. How can you possibly have Kelsay in any coverage? It is truly mind boggling.

mckelvin is a terrible DB. he's not the answer. it's been shown that he is a better return man when he's not on the field playing D. he is an above avg returner and below avg dback so let's just let him return. our DB's are just terrible overall. aaron williams should not even be in the league and he's the 2nd best cover guy we have?! what a bust of a pick he was. i think gilmore will eventually get there where he is a good #2 guy, he's still very young, but he is definitely not a shut down corner. i hate the jets but whenever i watch cromartie or a healthy revis, i get jealous. florence wasn't amazing or anything but i wish we still had him. i think if we can get a shut down corner in the offseason then we will be looking good. we already have great safeties but they can't cover the whole field by themselves. a. williams just gets beat way too often. they toy with him. it's embarassing. and when they bring in these no-name guys in the nickel then it's just doubly embarassing

With the exception of Gilmore, none of our corners would be starting on any other NFL team. That said it is easy to blame the corners but how can they be expected to cover when the QB is having all kinds of time to throw. We need to put in more blitz packages. No way Hasselbeck has that much success if we pressure him.

How about the play where it was 3rd and long and Wannstedt had Kyle Williams drop back into zone coverage. A DT in zone coverage!!! Seriously?

So what was the outcome of that 3rd down? First down Titans. Genius

Wannstedt is making the calls and that is what is making this defense so epically bad. If they are not in the right coverages, they can not possibly execute. He has got to go, but he won't and we will have to suffer through 9 more games of this ineptitude. After the season, both he and Gailey will be gone, but what a shame we had to waste another season to get there.

I can understand trying to get to the QB with a blitz and failing by giving up a big play. They don't ever blitz and still give up big play after big play. It defies any logic. The front 4 simply do not generate enough pressure to make the QB hurry his throws.

How about the play where it was 3rd and long and Wannstedt had Kyle Williams drop back into zone coverage. A DT in zone coverage!!! Seriously?

So what was the outcome of that 3rd down? First down Titans. Genius

LOL I freaked when I saw that, not only dropping a DT into coverage but our best pass rusher to boot. We have 1 guy who is consistent at penetrating and we drop his 6 foot 300 lb azz into coverage. What a joke

Our linebackers can barely negotiate their way past pulling guards on running plays...what makes anyone think our linebackers are capable of running through the A Gap with a center and guard battling our DT's...in the end, the scheme we have fails and the 7 weeks we have drilled it into our players is the point of no return. Our linebackers are not Ray Lewis types (we are undersized and manhandled by O Linemen). Don't get me wrong, I think blitzing is an important part of any defensive scheme...just saying our linebackers may not be physically able to pull it off as well as other teams (based on the way they are manhandled in the run game and their inability to find holes to plug...if they can't find the right hole to close in on in a running play, with our luck, they would blitz right into the back of Dareus and tear his achilles)

Kelsay lined up on Cook at least once too - then took off like a bat out of hell to cover his zone while Cook released to the middle. It actually worked on that play (3rd and > 10) b/c Cook as wide open but caught the ball well before the 1st

I agree with the OP in that Leotis needs to be out there in situations like the 4th and 9 instead of a guy like Rogers. Call him a bad corner all you want... but he sticks to his man like glue and has superior athletic ability. It was clear he needed work on his ball tracking skills last year and it appeared the he was doing just that when they finally let him play again toward the end of last season. I think Rogers has some naked pics of Wanstches Mom or something.

Hey Bills personnel department: Players develop. It happens.

Hindsight is 20-20. If Wilson makes the right read, game over. If the throw wasn't perfect, game over. If Rogers make a play on the ball, game over. A lot of "what if's"....

If we have our best players on the field, game over.....If we have presure on the QB so he can't stand back in the pocket waiting for his best receiver to get open, game over.....If we have a DC that puts our best players in the best coverage for a 4th and 9 redzone call, game over!!!!