Two huge mistakes by Gailey at the end

I thought Gailey made two big mistakes at the end of the game:

1. Failing to ask for a review on the fumble by the Titans.

The play was too close not to take a second look.

2. Not taking a timeout before the 4th down play with 1:50 left.

The Titans were on the 15 so they didn't need the extra time. But 1:40 or so would have given us a reasonable shot at a field goal.

I agree with Bill from NYC. He is a decent coordinator, not a head coach, but is hampered by the piece of crap disguised as our defensive coordinator. Did you see the Titans send a safety off the edge on the last play and forced Fitz into a bad throw? Have we blitzed a DB all season?

On point 2, I recall thinking that both coaches had a dilemma. At that point in the game, do you let the clock run down if you're the Titans? They could have potentially been out on downs, but had 2 TO's and gotten the ball back.

But we clearly had plenty of time at the end of the game. Fitz just didn't make the plays.

Totally agree with your second point.

In any situation, the clock is always against one team and working for the other. If the other coach milks the clock before calling the timeout (which the Titans did), then we should of been stopping it immediatley.

We know our D stinks. We need to start planning for getting the ball back. Then we would of been ok throwing a couple of those dinks.

The Titans were on the 15 so they didn't need the extra time. But 1:40 or so would have given us a reasonable shot at a field goal.

I agree with Bill from NYC. He is a decent coordinator, not a head coach, but is hampered by the piece of crap disguised as our defensive coordinator. Did you see the Titans send a safety off the edge on the last play and forced Fitz into a bad throw? Have we blitzed a DB all season?

I would also add why didn't Chan try a 2-point conversion after our last TD. Had that been made, the Titans winning TD would have only been a tying TD.

I agree - it looked like that ball was kept in play. No challenge but it was inside 2 minutes so I don't think he could have if he wanted to.

What about not trying a two point conversion in this game? This was a 1 point game, he had two chances to go for two and he took a single point. When they scored to make it 28-26 was the first chance. When they went ahead 33-28 was the second. Epic failure by a really bad coacing staff. Its never too early to try a two point conversion. The one point wasn't going to matter in this game.

Edited by Azucho98

Yes but on the drive where Fitz had the INT, if we go down and get a field goal we're up by nine. If we went for two and failed, then we're only up eight and Tenn could tie with a TD and 2 point conversion. Tenn hadn't stopped the Bills' all game so was very good chance they could get at least a field goal out of it. I thought it was the correct thing to do as too much time left to go for two.

I would also add why didn't Chan try a 2-point conversion after our last TD. Had that been made, the Titans winning TD would have only been a tying TD.

Tenn had 4th and 8, we stop them get the ball back assume in that situation we run three times, gain very little and punt it back. If we had stopped the clock earlier Tenn would then have much more time to score. At the time it happened, I thought it was mistake on Tenn part not to stop the clock earlier. Lately too the Bill's were stopping Tenn some so wasn't totally out of the question that we'd stop them again.

C'mon. You're really saying this AFTER the game?

It could have easily have haunted us, given a different score. He called a good game.

This Chan bashing has to stop. He did not give up all those yards to C. Johnson, or throw that INT.

No, the fuble should not have been reviewed. It was ckear on the only replay shown that the ball bounced on the white before Gilmore batted it. Good no challenge, and I'm sure Chan was told from upstairs that a challenge would be futile. The big mistake that lost the game had nothing to do with TO's or challenges to calls. The failure was giving MH and the Titans offense exaclty the conservative 2 deep zone D they were expecting on the 4th and 9 play. Make that stop and the game is effectively over. Zero pressure on MH, and the coverage was, predictably, horrible anyway. The only advantage to the zone in that situation is blanketing WR's. With as porous as our secondary is, ablitz would be much more effective there. This is Hasselbeck, not Brady. If you stink at coveragem you may as well dial up pressure and sell out for an incompletion, as it ends the game. Sitting back was just a flat out surrender, and unacceptable. Thirteen and counting is in our future for sure, as the next two are guaranteed losses.

Errr, sorry for the typos, but you get my point. Wanny and Chan = losing mentality.

Good points.

I guess he did not want to risk a time out on the challenge? Did he comment on that one?

The second point is a nuance of the game that he is not at. He is not a great game day coach. He is still learning the "run out the clock" concept.

One other mistake was even bigger. He should have gone for a two-point conversion after the third quarter touchdown. It's not hindsight because I was surprised he didn't at the time. Idiot Gannon (one of the worst "analysts" around) said it was too early in the game to do so; it was't. Even if they hadn't succeeded they would still have been within a field goal of winning

2 weeks in a row Chan puts the ball in the air when all we just needed was to run the clock down. Last week letting BS throw and this week letting Fitz throw. We were gashing them with the run and we had 3rd and 3 and did not need to pass. Even if we didn't make it and we punt, we don't give them momentum (the INT) and we could have pinned them deep. As soon as Fitz fadded back I said shook my head and yelled NO!. I'm not a big complainer about the play calling, but 2 weeks in a row! I can't believe he didn't learn his lesson last weekend. This time he poked the tiger and it bit him.

2 weeks in a row Chan puts the ball in the air when all we just needed was to run the clock down.

The play calling and clock management at the end of the game once again left me shaking my head. Not just the failure to run the ball when they needed to run clock, but also not taking a timeout before the 4th down play with 1:50 left.

Gailey might have gotten away with it again, if Fitzpatrick was reliable in crunch time.

C'mon. You're really saying this AFTER the game?

It could have easily have haunted us, given a different score. He called a good game.

This Chan bashing has to stop. He did not give up all those yards to C. Johnson, or throw that INT.

Buy a calculator! When we scored the go ahead TD. we were down by 5, score on a 2 pointer, a Titan TD usually would be a tie. Kick the 1 pointer, Titans down by 6 and a TD means they likely go head. Miss a 2 pointer, or make a one pointer has the same effect that late in the game. Chan has consistently made poor calls at critical stages. Last week he lucked out. This week, he sunk us. Time for him to go and take Wanne with him. Does Georgia Tech want him back?

Yes but on the drive where Fitz had the INT, if we go down and get a field goal we're up by nine. If we went for two and failed, then we're only up eight and Tenn could tie with a TD and 2 point conversion. Tenn hadn't stopped the Bills' all game so was very good chance they could get at least a field goal out of it. I thought it was the correct thing to do as too much time left to go for two.

Well, your plan failed as well as Chan's. Assuming success 100% of the time is a recipe for failure. Also, if Tenn hadn't been stopping the Bills all game, then a 2 point conversion should have been easy by your analysis, and should have been tried. When we scored to be behind 28-27, I was OK with going for 1, after the go-ahead TD, I knew it would be a mistake given the porous nature of our defense. Missing a 2 pointer, or making a 1 pointer would have the same effect following a Tenn TD, the Bills falling behind, and as we saw, lose.

I totally agree. Did he really think we were going to stop them from scoring TD's on us? The 2 point was an easy call and should have been made Dungy said the same thing.

Only getting six there is the same as getting seven, it still does you no good.