RIP Kent Hull Jan. 13, 1961 - Oct 18, 2011

Jim Gehman

A Hull of a Center

Buffalo’s 1986 training camp was in full swing when Kent Hull landed in Fredonia following three seasons with the USFL’s New Jersey Generals. The free-agent center chose to sign with the Bills out of nine NFL suitors, and it took all of five days before he was atop the depth chart and starting in the third preseason game.

"I was coming out of the USFL, and I really hadn't proved myself, and I just wanted a chance," Hull said. "I told my wife that I was going somewhere where there was a need for me and not necessarily for the money. Buffalo had Tim Vogler as the starting center, and he injured his knee and was going to be out for six weeks. I said I know I’ll get six weeks in, so I picked Buffalo just to show what I could do. It was the best decision I ever made in my life."

Hull and quarterback Jim Kelly became members of the Bills the same day and helped the team become contenders three seasons later by reaching the 1988 AFC Championship Game against Cincinnati. Two seasons after that they were the conference champions for the first of four consecutive years.

"There were a lot of factors, and coach Levy obviously was the largest factor. I think the prior coaching staff was more of a boot camp-type deal. When Marv came in, it became 'Let's work hard, but let's work smart.' He knew how to treat players," said the three-time Pro Bowl selection. "Instead of bringing a brown bag to the stadium with you, we had lunches served to us. And you weren't scared about being released the next day. I think that's when we became a family and a team. And when you do that, I think you perform like that. The different makeup of every player, when you become a family like that, there are no differences. Marv brought that to us."

Retiring after the 1996 campaign, Hull brought 11 seasons of stability and leadership to the Bills

"The thing that I'm most proud of is the accomplishments of the people around me. Jim Kelly going into the Hall of Fame. Marv Levy going into the Hall of Fame. I look at the things that Thurman Thomas has done. Andre Reed, James Lofton. I'm proud that I had something to do with what they did," said Hull, a team captain during his final seven seasons. "As an offensive lineman, if you're in the paper, usually it's bad. That’s the way it is, and you understand that going into the position. When you pick up that paper on Monday morning after a win, it says, ‘Jim Kelly threw for 300-some yards, sacked one time.' Or 'Thurman Thomas rushes for 200-some yards.' That's where most offensive linemen get their gratification. If you look back, it was a very unselfish offensive line. They did not want to be in the spotlight. We got our gratification picking up that paper on Monday and seeing what the people around us did."

Edited by Jim Gehman

RIP Kent was a awesome anchor on many great Bills teams and seemed like a great leader. Im sure his play on the field helped other teammates become the badasses they were also, blocking for Thurman, Kelly, he also got downfield on plays paving the way. The football gods just got a new "rookie" center. RIP oh yeah by the way, dont worry about dealing with that loud mouth Byron Cox up there, he wont be playing up there with yall. hes playin in the C.F.Hell (just kiddin).......da jerk spit at us

I had the honor of meeting Kent on a flight from Buffalo to Atlanta (on my way to San Diego). That was in about 2002-2003. I'll tell you what, these guys pour their heart and souls out for the teams they play for. He was in bad shape back then and could barely get his knees bent enough to get into his seat. Being uncomfortable never stopped him from chatting and telling a few "war stories". RIP big man.

RIP. Great player, even better guy. He should be in the HOF. Look at what that offense did with him at Center. Center's don't get enough credit for their large role in an offense. Even when Kelly was out, Frank Reich played well because Kent could keep the running game and protections going.

Met Kent a couple of times back in the day. he always made time even if he was in a hurry. He also had some amazing stories about him and Kelly, and their friendship. I do believe he bailed Kelly out more than once, from getting the wrath of Levy, many hours before kickoff. When Jimbo still needed to become uh game ready.