Article: When do you quit on a franchise QB

Great read and maybe sheds some light on the Fitz situation:

Said former Baltimore Ravens head coach and current CBS broadcaster Brian Billick, "It's a difficult thing to do because it has to be an organizational decision. You have to know there is no going back and if you're the coach, you have to know it's the end for you. You can't miss on a [franchise] quarterback. If you do, you never survive."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/page/hotread-changing-qbs/matt-cassel-mark-sanchez-struggling-mightily-team-give-franchise-quarterback

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good article. It does seem likely that Chan's and Fitz's fates are tied together.

"I like a lot of people in the NFL, but half the league is bad coaches and front-office guys," Dilfer said. "They have no idea how Bill Walsh did what he did or Don Coryell or why New England is doing what they're doing. They have all these titles and they're making it up as they go along."

Boy, doesn't that one ring true after watching the Bills get outclassed by the Pats time after time for almost a decade.

problem is we dont have a Franchise QB on the roster. :oops:

Depending on how you look at it...

It's a problem in that we dont have one to help us win right now. However, I don't think Buddy or even Chan have considered Fitz as a true "franchise QB". More so along the lines of "This is what we have, he can get us by for now, we'll upgrade as soon as we can". The issue is, the cards haven't fallen in the right way to let us land a franchise QB. At least not while we had so many other holes to address as well.

I Bill-ieve that it will be the #1 TOP TOP priority of this offseason and will be addressed accordingly.

What I'm getting at is, Fitz isnt the franchise QB that Buddy and Chan have tied their wagon to.

The Bills approach is looking more like the Steelers before they got Ben Roethlisberger. They didn't go out and draft a QB every year or reach for someone to annoint. They went through journeyman waiting for their guy. The Steelers were farther along than the Bills in other parts of the game (cough defense cough cough) before they got him, but I think it lowers expectations a little more this way. Nobody expects the Bills to win with Fitzpatrick or the Steelers with Tommy Maddox, but as soon as you draft that guy it all changes, so you better be sure. On the other hand you have to pick someone at some point. If the Steelers had passed on Roethlisberger in favor of their journeyman-of-the-month, then Cowher probably doesn't last long enough to win a Super Bowl.

Edited by Pondslider

What frustrates me most about the WTF are still playing Fitz for crowd is that Gailey/Nix have shown absolutely no hesitation in parting ways with other players that weren't working out (Edwards, Lynch, Moorman, Poz, Whitner).

Why would Fitz all of a sudden be different? Easy, because they have no confidence, whatsoever, in the guys backing him up.

That leads me to believe that they will be targeting AT LEAST one other guy to come in and compete for the job next year. And I say that because I trust Gailey/Nix know that Fitz isn't working out the way he should...

Good article. If you want to use their logic, there is now way we pull Fitz. we are in the thick of the hunt to win our division. You only pull your starter when the season is over for your team and there is nothing to lose. Everyone is 3 and 3, we play Fitz until mathematically eliminated.

Depending on how you look at it...

It's a problem in that we dont have one to help us win right now. However, I don't think Buddy or even Chan have considered Fitz as a true "franchise QB". More so along the lines of "This is what we have, he can get us by for now, we'll upgrade as soon as we can". The issue is, the cards haven't fallen in the right way to let us land a franchise QB. At least not while we had so many other holes to address as well.

I Bill-ieve that it will be the #1 TOP TOP priority of this offseason and will be addressed accordingly.

What I'm getting at is, Fitz isnt the franchise QB that Buddy and Chan have tied their wagon to.

Spot on. They are going to draft one next year, and they will be tied to that guy.

They get to draft one of their own. Fitz and Edwards were what Gailey and Nix found lying around when he arrived.

The current trajectory of this season (8-8, 9-7, maybe 10-6) will not get either Nix or Gailey fired. 7-9 or worse might cost Gailey his job but it would take at least that bad, even though I would be badly disapointed with less than 9-7.

Spot on. They are going to draft one next year, and they will be tied to that guy.

They get to draft one of their own. Fitz and Edwards were what Gailey and Nix found lying around when he arrived.

The current trajectory of this season (8-8, 9-7, maybe 10-6) will not get either Nix or Gailey fired. 7-9 or worse might cost Gailey his job but it would take at least that bad, even though I would be badly disapointed with less than 9-7.

TEN, HOU, NE, NYJ, MIA, MIA, JAX, IND, SEA, STL...The way I see it, to get to six losses from that bunch, we'd have to drop the second game against NYJ and get swept by Miami. No way we finish worse than 8-8.

"It really comes down to when the player stops improving," said NFL Network analyst Charley Casserly, who was a general manager for both theWashington Redskins and Houston Texans. "That's a hard thing to judge because there's a lot of thought that goes into picking these guys. You have a body of work that was assembled to make the selection, and egos do get involved. But if you get to the second and third year and you're still seeing the same mistakes, that's when you get concerned."

Well, that's encouraging. We're not seeing the same mistakes from Fitz this year.

A whole slew of new ones, but not the SAME ones.