PFF: Interesting Stat Re Fitzpatrick

Peter

According to PFF, when Fitzpatrick holds on to the ball for 2.5 seconds or less, he has an accuracy percentage of 72.0%.

When Fitzpatrick holds on to the ball for 2.6 seconds or more, his accuracy percentage drops to 56.7%.

Fitzpatrick's 15.3% drop off is the third highest in the league.

I suspect that this has a lot to do with Fitz's problems with deeper throws.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/10/10/32-observations-week-5/

I'm shocked that a QB would have a higher completion percentage on short passes vs. long passes.

PFF is groundbreaking stuff.

GO BILLS!!!

I think the drop off is the telling stat.

By the way, according to their overall rating, he is third from the bottom - only ahead of Weeden and Sanchez. No matter how you slice it, he has not had a stellar start to the season.

id venture this doesnt just speak to deep balls but also when theres strong coverage. being low on the list with those two dynamics doesnt shock me.

thinking out loud but the longer you hold the ball, id venture the more a strong arm would help.

id venture this doesnt just speak to deep balls but also when theres strong coverage. being low on the list with those two dynamics doesnt shock me.

thinking out loud but the longer you hold the ball, id venture the more a strong arm would help.

for sure.

i don't know. there are so many unknowns that can possibly go into this stat....lets also not forget about the sorry bunch of WR's we have who may never get open half the time either.

I hear what you're saying here and I agree that there are certain variables that effect how long it takes a QB to get rid of the ball. But trust me, what this is speaking to more than anything are those patterns and targets that take longer to develop vs. those that take less time. That is, attempts of passes 20 yards or more downfield vs. shorter ones.

The most frustrating thing is that guys are actually getting open downfield this year. Stevie, TJ, and Spiller have all been open deep on multiple occasions only to be stymied by a QB that had the time but not the accuracy to get them the ball. I know I have a firm grasp of the obvious in that regard, too.

GO BILLS!!!

According to PFF, when Fitzpatrick holds on to the ball for 2.5 seconds or less, he has an accuracy percentage of 72.0%.

When Fitzpatrick holds on to the ball for 2.6 seconds or more, his accuracy percentage drops to 56.7%.

Fitzpatrick's 15.3% drop off is the third highest in the league.

I suspect that this has a lot to do with Fitz's problems with deeper throws.

https://www.profootb...vations-week-5/

The All-22 Report Jeremy White just put up on wgr550.com is not for the faint-of-heart Bills Fan...Not anything we don't know already...But Fitz is leaving serious opportunities on the table week in and week out...Last week may have been the worse yet due to the 49ers all but daring The Bills to throw deep by not dropping their Safeties a ton...I've said it before...With Fitz it's just as much about the throws he misses...And those are not necessarily INT's...He just misses golden opportunities with poor throws WAY too often to be an NFL Starting QB... B-)

I hear what you're saying here and I agree that there are certain variables that effect how long it takes a QB to get rid of the ball. But trust me, what this is speaking to more than anything are those patterns and targets that take longer to develop vs. those that take less time. That is, attempts of passes 20 yards or more downfield vs. shorter ones.

The most frustrating thing is that guys are actually getting open downfield this year. Stevie, TJ, and Spiller have all been open deep on multiple occasions only to be stymied by a QB that had the time but not the accuracy to get them the ball. I know I have a firm grasp of the obvious in that regard, too.

GO BILLS!!!

definitely - i was just guessing that if he has to look to a second (or third) read your getting in that same territory.

both long throws (your initial gut, and mine as well) and throws into tighter windows or across the field or when late getting to the receiver (good coverage being played - my smaller add on) take strong accurate throws.

fitz has never been accused of being accurate when he has to really sling the rock. really as you said, this stat is totally not surprising.