Quote by Dareus says it all

How embarrassing is this, you guys are a prideful bunch?

“It is just a game.”

http://www.buffalobi...6a-9c7718e43db2

Seriously? Yes it is "just a game" however it's your profession and you get paid well to do it. These guys respond to getting tagged for 1200 yards in 2 games with "it's just a game". This is to me at least shows a lack of heart and little to no fight. This mentality right here is the real problem IMO.

Edited by Hazed and Amuzed

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think his comments were just due to frustration.

He also seemed to suggest that some of this is on the coaches, and they need to "fix it":

“It was just breaking down in certain areas. [Head] Coach [Chan] Gailey will get together and fix it. We will break down the mental errors and we will fix it. He is working on it.”

No, it's not just a game. It is a huge part of your life. This isn't checkers with your nephew on Saturday morning. How you play, how you practice is who you are and I hope you think that's important Dareus. If it's just a game, then go do something important with your life and stop wasting it.

I'd prefer my players have the Teddy Bruschi mentality who I personally hate. However, he credited football with teaching him so many important life lessons. It wasn't just a game to him, it was life. Dareus, I give you a bit of a pass because your bro just died, but this is not "just a game."

In the grand scheme of things he is right

In the grand scheme yes he is right. However if you're getting paid millions of dollars and people are counting on you, like your teammates, management and fans it should be taken more seriously than just a game. I don't look at my job and say "ehh, it's just a job" I have people counting on me and I take my job seriously. When I stop taking it seriously, I won't have it

No, it's not just a game. It is a huge part of your life. This isn't checkers with your nephew on Saturday morning. How you play, how you practice is who you are and I hope you think that's important Dareus. If it's just a game, then go do something important with your life and stop wasting it.

I'd prefer my players have the Teddy Bruschi mentality who I personally hate. However, he credited football with teaching him so many important life lessons. It wasn't just a game to him, it was life. Dareus, I give you a bit of a pass because your bro just died, but this is not "just a game."

How thoughtful of you.

How embarrassing is this, you guys are a prideful bunch?

“It is just a game.”

http://www.buffalobi...6a-9c7718e43db2

Seriously? Yes it is "just a game" however it's your profession and you get paid well to do it. These guys respond to getting tagged for 1200 yards in 2 games with "it's just a game". This is to me at least shows a lack of heart and little to no fight. This mentality right here is the real problem IMO.

And that my friend you can pin entirely on the coaching!

Marcell could also likely have meant, "It's just one game" and, instead, what came out of his mouth was, "It's just a game" - particulary in light of his answer to the follow-up about whether the fans also think "it's just a game"...

“Of course they think that it is just a game, but it is just tough right now. It is tough on the team, tough on the fans, that is a tough question that some people don’t want to answer, but that is life right now. We are going to get better at it, work it out, it is just tough for everybody right now.”

In any case, as others have pointed out, he gets a free pass on this one. I carried my own brother to his grave 3 weeks ago, and know the pain Marcell must be feeling.

When your brother was just shot and killed, it is just a game.

In fact, it is just one game in 16.

Give the guy a break.

I understand this, in fact I'm of the opinion to not take football too seriously most of the time. To me it is just a game and if the reason Dareus' mentality has changed is because of the death to his brother then I understand where he is coming from. However on the other end of that is this- this is his profession and his business, if he views it as not that important in the grand scheme of things anymore then he's in trouble as far as football goes. I agree that in the grand scheme football doesn't mean anything but this should not be a professional football players view in my opinion if he wants to be successful.

Just remember that comment when your looking for your next contract Dareus.................

Yes its just a game, and in life, this career that you are being paid millions to do is at the same level of importance to the grand scheme of life as a Walmart Greeter (well, maybe just below Walmart greeter, tehy will get you a shopping cart or let you know where stuff is)

In the grand scheme of things he is right

In the grand scheme yes he is right. However if you're getting paid millions of dollars and people are counting on you, like your teammates, management and fans it should be taken more seriously than just a game. I don't look at my job and say "ehh, it's just a job" I have people counting on me and I take my job seriously. When I stop taking it seriously, I won't have it

In the grand scheme of things, yes, it is just a game.

If this were the '60s where these guys were getting paid a pittance more than the "average joe" with most working outside of the immediate season, he would have more of a case.

I'm sure that losing his brother put things into perspective.

But none of it is an excuse, particularly for the other 52 on the roster, the coaching staff, GM, FO, etc. that didn't "just lose a brother," because all get paid very handsomely, particularly the coaches and players, to levels far exceeding what the "average joe" makes, and in an arena that is largely supplemented, usually for stadiums, by taxpayers who have no choice.

Having said all of that, for Mr. $100M, and any of the other highly paid players, for those words to come across their lips when they should be on their knees, literally, before God thanking them that they can make more in a single season than the "average joe" makes over an entire lifetime, is shameful. It shows a disdain for the "average joes" that fill the stadium, or at least used to.

Again, Dareus may still be grieving, and no doubt he is, and therefore likely to say some unfortunate things, but by and large, that's a ridiculous tack for any top paid player to assert.

Mark my words the bills will win the next two games and go into the bye week 4-3 . The week in arizona will really benefit them mentally.

A most excellent first post!!!

Welcome to the merry-go-round that is The Stadium Wall...

GO BILLSSS!!!!

16 and 3 baby!!!!! :beer: