Russell Wilson will never be elite

ny33

What's important going forward is for Bills scouts to recognize that there are NO WILSONS, LUCKS, OR RGII's in the '13 draft. -There ain't even a Kirk Cousins, or a Tanneyhill there at #8. -It's a total wasteland.

Please, Please, DO NOT REACH FOR QB WITH A HIGH PICK!

Amen

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go ahead and say whatever you want, there's NO EXCUSE for passing on Wilson to take an unknown like TJ GRAHAM. There wasn't then. -There isn't now.

In fact, by any stretch of any "NFL person's" imagination, judgement, or professional acumen (hopeful taught me that word,) THIS WAS A HUGE MISTAKE. -One of many for that regime.

For his age, height, draft selection, NFL division, Russell Wilson has excelled. Period. -He's the class of the 2013 rookies. HE PROVED IT. Why in the world is this still being argued?

Edited by #34fan

Go ahead and say whatever you want, there's NO EXCUSE for passing on Wilson to take an unknown like TJ GRAHAM. There wasn't then. -There isn't now.

In fact, by any stretch of any "NFL person's" imagination, judgement, or professional acumen (hopeful taught me that word,) THIS WAS A HUGE MISTAKE. -One of many for that regime.

For his age, height, draft selection, NFL division, Russell Wilson is the has excelled. Period. -Class of the 2013 rookies. HE PROVED IT. Why in the world is this still being argued.

For his age, height, draft selection, NFL division, Russell Wilson is the has excelled. Period. -Class of the 2013 rookies. HE PROVED IT. Why in the world is this still being argued.

You can say that again.

The thing is, I was myself. I am completely biased against small QBs, and didn't want the Bills to go near any of the Colt McCoy types. But once I saw Russell Wilson play, and then started really following him, he blew me away. I loved the guy and saw all the stuff that he did that made his height a non factor in college. I really wanted the Bills to draft him. But I didn't think they should take him in the first or second round. It was a HUGE risk. And I couldn't find anything I didn't like about him. He was amazing. I'm sure that is pretty much what everything, including the Seahawks, felt. If ANYONE, even the Packers or Patriots with great QBs, thought his height wouldn't be a factor, they would have taken him in the first or second round. He was that good and that highly regarded.

It was certainly understandable why Russell Wilson wasn't drafted in the first or second round. The stature issue, and not the production issue, was the determining factor for his draft position. But organizations that are willing to think outside of the box don't allow conventional thinking from inhibiting them in searching for talent. The stature issue is a legitimate issue when considering if it hinders the qb from seeing the field and making throws. If his record was thoroughly examined it would have revealed that he had fewer passes knocked down than much taller qbs. Is it really any different when a shorter qb throws at a higher point than a taller qb throws at a lower point?

Jake Locker was a much more physically imposing qb than Wilson. However, without a doubt Wilson is a more accurate passer, read defenses better and has much better pocket awareness. From a production standpoint (college) Wilson outshined Locker in every phase of the game other than height. From an analytical standpoint Wilson was the better prospect.

The Bills are a failed organization because the people making the personnel decisions are mediocre. Buddy Ntix believed players playing certain positions should have a particular "physical build" in order to be successful. He believes that OL should be more on the big and bulky side than on the lean and athletic side. He also believed that qbs should have minimal physical traits before they would be considered. In general, that is a reasonable approach to take when evaluating players. But if you exclusively adhere to your "profile" approach you are "self-limiting" yourself when there are an exceptions to your rule.

Sometimes a little ingredient of creativity and measured risk taking is the difference between being successful and being average or less. The Bills for a very long time have been a conservative organization that has not been willing to change its approach. Hopefully, under Brandon, a more progressive approach will be taken in the running of this franchise.

One detail I don't recall reading/hearing much about with regards to Wilson predraft (maybe it was prevalent, I didn't exactly read a ton about him) was his wingspan, hand size and high point of delivery--- these are all factors which essentially negate the height disadvantage. Although that wouldn't necessarily serve as a surefire predictor in evaluating QB prospects with less than ideal height.

It was well known in these parts among regular readers that Wilson's O-line at Wisconsin average OVER 6'6" tall.

Also, it was well known that he had very few passes batted down. Fewer than most quarterbacks.

Take away the read option that Seattle runs and Wilson still looks like an excellent QB. He reads defenses very well, has a very good arm, manipulates coverage, and he's a leader.

The guy is going to be very good to great for a long time. Believe your lying eyes.

I think Wilson will have a great career.

It was well known in these parts among regular readers that Wilson's O-line at Wisconsin average OVER 6'6" tall.

Also, it was well known that he had very few passes batted down. Fewer than most quarterbacks.

I definitely didn't participate in the Wilson discussions on TSW at the time or generally read very much about him, predraft. It seems like it didn't take a great deal of digging to kick conventional wisdom right in the nuts.

Hopefully the Bills brain trust continues to stay ahead of the curve, as they have thus far this offseason.

We'll see how Wilson holds up. At 5'11" and 206# it will take a toll taking a pounding from guys 50-100 pounds heavier than him.

The one thing you'll notice the more you watch Wilson is how aware he is of everyone on the field. He has eyes in the back of his head and is rarely surprised by a defender. Besides that he has great self-preservation instincts and rarely puts himself in harms way… counter-intuitive when you talk about a quarterback who can run for yardage and to extend plays.

My prediction for Wilson is for a long and fairly injury-free career.

The one thing you'll notice the more you watch Wilson is how aware he is of everyone on the field. He has eyes in the back of his head and is rarely surprised by a defender. Besides that he has great self-preservation instincts and rarely puts himself in harms way… counter-intuitive when you talk about a quarterback who can run for yardage and to extend plays.

i agree...very aware of everything out there. very well spoken/bright.--that last pass was dead center in the EZ. no panic.

It was certainly understandable why Russell Wilson wasn't drafted in the first or second round. The stature issue, and not the production issue, was the determining factor for his draft position. But organizations that are willing to think outside of the box don't allow conventional thinking from inhibiting them in searching for talent. The stature issue is a legitimate issue when considering if it hinders the qb from seeing the field and making throws. If his record was thoroughly examined it would have revealed that he had fewer passes knocked down than much taller qbs. Is it really any different when a shorter qb throws at a higher point than a taller qb throws at a lower point?

Jake Locker was a much more physically imposing qb than Wilson. However, without a doubt Wilson is a more accurate passer, read defenses better and has much better pocket awareness. From a production standpoint (college) Wilson outshined Locker in every phase of the game other than height. From an analytical standpoint Wilson was the better prospect.

The Bills are a failed organization because the people making the personnel decisions are mediocre. Buddy Ntix believed players playing certain positions should have a particular "physical build" in order to be successful. He believes that OL should be more on the big and bulky side than on the lean and athletic side. He also believed that qbs should have minimal physical traits before they would be considered. In general, that is a reasonable approach to take when evaluating players. But if you exclusively adhere to your "profile" approach you are "self-limiting" yourself when there are an exceptions to your rule.

Sometimes a little ingredient of creativity and measured risk taking is the difference between being successful and being average or less. The Bills for a very long time have been a conservative organization that has not been willing to change its approach. Hopefully, under Brandon, a more progressive approach will be taken in the running of this franchise.

I just keep thinking about that WGR interview earlier this year...I think it was right before the Seattle Game...But anyway...Buddy Nix basically said they liked Wilson a lot, and that his height was not an issue...Not an issue for the Bills that is...Knowing this, and granted knowing what we have seen from Wilson, if you liked the kid and had no problem with the height issue?...TJ Graham? Really? T...J...Graham?...It was the 3rd Round...Are you kidding me?... :doh:

Agreed...100%... :thumbsup:

If Wilson breaks down in 5 years....so what.....

guaranteed that his teams will have reached at least as high as this year, and higher.

I seriously doubt his career will be less than 10 years....but the talk around here by some is that we will wait for his body to break down so we can say...."see....THATS why we didn't grab him in the 3rd"

total joke logic. If we got to the 2nd level of the playoffs and he gave us a game like he did today.....worth every god damned bit of supposed "risk" and then some.

Now he has to have a 20 year career to justify his style of play. Unreal.