Has Chan Gailey lost this team?

HOUSE

Chan Gailey   

197 members have voted

1. 1. Has Chan losing control of the team?

This post cracks me up. Specifically:

I have my own opinion but I don't want to sway the voting?

Followed up by:

Has Chan Gailey lost the team as players just going through the motions?

You have to admit allowing 6 scores in a row by the Patriots is an indicator of internal problems.

The Jets appear to be one of the worst teams in the league and I expected a much tougher Bills team this year.

We have no real injuries this year and the team appears to be underachieving and there has to be a reason.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On Gr this morning, Buddy sounded ready to rip some butts if there's another performance like last week. Don't think he'll put up with it for long. Wannsted is likely the first to go. If they crap the bed on the coast AND in the desert, somebody won't be on the plane pack east.

On Gr this morning, Buddy sounded ready to rip some butts if there's another performance like last week. Don't think he'll put up with it for long. Wannsted is likely the first to go. If they crap the bed on the coast AND in the desert, somebody won't be on the plane pack east.

Just more talk. If he really meant it he would not wait for the next turd to drop. The bowl is already overflowing.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Just more talk. If he really meant it he would not wait for the next turd to drop. The bowl is already overflowing.

You dont make knee jerk reactions in this business and win. You need to execute a plan. Buddy should be pissed, he has brought a lo of talent to this team

I'm not sure when that corner gets turned, however it's hard to make the arguement that this team is any better than the bad Jauron led teams.

Talent wise, we are significantly better

You dont make knee jerk reactions in this business and win. You need to execute a plan. Buddy should be pissed, he has brought a lo of talent to this team

Talent wise, we are significantly better

Doing something after the Jets game would have been a knee jerk. Doing something after ridiculous showings against both the Jets and the Pats* is not.

I'm not talking about firing Stache or Gailey necessarily, you can't do that without having someone else lined up. But an ancillary to your first sentence might be

"You don't react in this business and you lose".

As to the talent level, I agree that on paper this team is more talented. But so far the teams in the ChaNix era have yet to reach the records of the previous regime that people could not wait to run out of town. Some reaction is warranted. Maybe this GR interview was it.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Here's an idea to jerk this team into reality: sit George Wilson and start Searcy. He simply can't be worse and it would send a message. If the tapes show KW or MD or MW or ANYONE else dogging it, sit them, too. Let these guys know that there's no reason to get too comfortable. It's one thing to play bad and not earn your paycheck, it's quite another to NOT be playing at all and earning it. Much more embarrassing.

GO BILLS!!!

Here's an idea to jerk this team into reality: sit George Wilson and start Searcy. He simply can't be worse and it would send a message. If the tapes show KW or MD or MW or ANYONE else dogging it, sit them, too. Let these guys know that there's no reason to get too comfortable. It's one thing to play bad and not earn your paycheck, it's quite another to NOT be playing at all and earning it. Much more embarrassing.

GO BILLS!!!

I wouldn't say anyone specifically but yes, I agree with this statement. If someone is a liability and or not giving 100% then sit the SOAB.

I didn't get that at all. And there is no way he would fire anyone this year.

Harbaugh is a very good NFL coach, Chan is not.

Chan and Co. and going to get worked.

That's what I'm thinking. The 49'er offense isn't as dynamic as the Patriots', so I don't expect them to lay a 50 burger on us. However, they are a very sound and physically tough team that will methodically wear down this heartless bunch of non-tackling, under-inspired Buffalo Bills. S.F. 34 - Buf. 17.

I just can't get over 6 TD's in a half....48 pts to the Jets offense :blink:

That defensive performance against the Patriots in the 2nd half reminded me of the Bruce Smith Tampa Bay game with Hank Bullough as head coach in week 9, 1986. In which Bruce Smith tells the defense in the huddle "anyone makes a tackle, they answer to me!" That week the Bills fired Bullough and hired Marv Levy.

I dunno if Chan lost the team, it sure looks to me like Dave Wannstadt lost the defense.

That defensive line is way better then what they have shown so far, we all know it! Good friend or no, if Wannstedt's defense gives another performance like they did against the Patriots, Gailey needs to replace him.

Edited by Fear the Beard

I've been watching NFL football, as a Bills fan, for over 20 years. I've seen more than some fans of losing ways, losing teams, and lost coaches. It's my opinion that there are more than just head coaches who can lose the confidence of players - coordinators can, and players can lose the faith and confidence of their fellow players.

If I were to diagnose the problem on the Bills team this year, especially in the two losses, going just on what I've seen, I would place the majority of the blame in three areas. First - I see the players really frustrated in Ryan Fitzpatrick. When a team is competing for an entire half with an opponent that is supposed to be better, and a powerhouse (I'm thinking our defense vs NE's offense), things are going alright. But, during the second half, I saw a Bills defense that allowed a score, and then another - and when a defense is getting gashed, it wants to have time to recoup, to get its wind back, and to make little adjustments on the sideline. Not to mention, if the team is going to win, the offense has to, besides holding onto the ball for awhile, continue to score. When Fitzpatrick imploded and led his offense on turnover ridden drives, and three and outs - you could see the defense loosening, and worsening, to the point where in the 4th quarter you could tell the defense had no confidence the offense would do anything with the ball if they got it back to them. That is a real problem. You could see it also in players like Stevie Johnson - he was frustrated with Fitz - and that isn't just a one game problem; it is something that has built up over years - these players desperately want a legitimate QB to keep them in games. When everyone else is holding their own and the QB is almost single-handedly giving the game away, it really wears a team down.

Secondly, Mario Williams is something of a problem already. He is a problem because the Bills handed him over a truckload of money (about 15% of the value of the whole team! He's virtually a minority owner!) and he's being outperformed by half the defense. When they really need an impact play he's nowhere to be seen. The players are not blind to this.

Thirdly, Dave Wannstedt's defense has to do more, schematically, and in preparation, to give the players an edge. They can't be out matched too many times before they begin to doubt the legitimacy of their coach's plans. These guys have been around - they know when their schemes are ahead of the curve, or behind the ball, so to speak. Dave has to show these guys he's got more to offer than second hand strategies and two-decades old ideas.

As far as who is losing this team, I'd say Gailey is down on the list. I doubt very much he is really that much more than an over-glorified offensive coordinator. At least his squad is putting points on the board DESPITE the QB! Imagine what he could do with a real one (I just can't understand why he continues to defend Fitz's play)!

I'm not sure when that corner gets turned, however it's hard to make the arguement that this team is any better than the bad Jauron led teams.

This ^^

At least under Jauron we had a couple of seasons where we were legitimate playoff contenders as late as December. Hasn't even come close to happening under Gailey.