Has Chan Gailey lost this team?

HOUSE

Chan Gailey   

197 members have voted

1. 1. Has Chan losing control of the team?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is more possible than beating San Fran. After Thursday night I am not a believer in Arizona.

Right. I'm not sold on Arz. either, but Buffalo does not travel well, rarely wins on the road, and does not do well coming out west at all that I recall.

Not sure if he's lost the team, but he's loosing me. I just can't bear the thought of a sub-500 season and another regime change.

:beer:

He lost me about halfway through last year when he refused to change anything even though his game plans weren't working.

:beer:

He lost me about halfway through last year when he refused to change anything even though his game plans weren't working.

^ That.

What game plans? Seems like he's still in college: we have "our" offense which we run every week and you have to stop it. ???

On Gr this morning, Buddy sounded ready to rip some butts if there's another performance like last week. Don't think he'll put up with it for long. Wannsted is likely the first to go. If they crap the bed on the coast AND in the desert, somebody won't be on the plane pack east.

Maybe the'll cut the team limo driver or the backup custodian next.

You dont make knee jerk reactions in this business and win. You need to execute a plan. Buddy should be pissed, he has brought a lo of talent to this team

Talent wise, we are significantly better

What does that say for Gailey's coaching ability vs Jauron's?

^ That.

What game plans? Seems like he's still in college: we have "our" offense which we run every week and you have to stop it. ???

Like how our QB was severely injured and he said to hell with the other QBs on the roster. Who else is going to hold the clipboard.

One bad loss and the coach has lost the team?

Really?

It is more of how they have lost to two of our division opponents, especially when one is not even any good.

The bigger issue is how does Gailey accept the team turning over the ball 5 teams in the game. The team must be made responsible for that.

Edited by ganesh

No but Chan is a bit soft. The team lacks a real hard ass leader especially on D. DJ started the problem which to some extent still exists. We have no real big hard game changing leaders on D which is why against the jets and pats, we fell apart as soon as things got a little rough. It is a violent game but we have too many soft players.

PS Stick your warning points! They are 2 years old.

Edited by Bart

I will say this:

If Gailey does not survive this season, the Bills really need to look at a younger coach. I am not saying that Gailey can't connect with his players, nor that that's the end-all, be-all. It doesn't trump talent or the work ethic of a player like Brady, or the smarts / cheats of a guy like Belicheck. But reading that Stevie article from the Buffalo News this morning just made me realize that Chan can believe in his players and he can be a decent coach, but as a motivator it's very hard to work with someone when you're from a completely different era and universe.

I think the Harbaughs, Mike Tomlin, Whisenhunt - it's not like these guys are from the street, but they are close enough to the recent history of the game that they know where players and their teammates are coming from. It needs to be considered if the Bills are once again looking at coaching talent. Even Mularkey, flawed as he was, had a better pulse on his team from my perspective.

I will say this:

If Gailey does not survive this season, the Bills really need to look at a younger coach. I am not saying that Gailey can't connect with his players, nor that that's the end-all, be-all. It doesn't trump talent or the work ethic of a player like Brady, or the smarts / cheats of a guy like Belicheck. But reading that Stevie article from the Buffalo News this morning just made me realize that Chan can believe in his players and he can be a decent coach, but as a motivator it's very hard to work with someone when you're from a completely different era and universe.

I think the Harbaughs, Mike Tomlin, Whisenhunt - it's not like these guys are from the street, but they are close enough to the recent history of the game that they know where players and their teammates are coming from. It needs to be considered if the Bills are once again looking at coaching talent. Even Mularkey, flawed as he was, had a better pulse on his team from my perspective.

Well said! :thumbsup:

I will say this:

I dont see experience as a negative

I dont see experience as a negative

There are different kinds of experience, and I am uncertain that Chan has ever had enough success as a head coach to warrant siding with his experience over the kind of leadership and stewardship that today's NFL players need.

Let's put it this way - Chan is good in that he will give someone a chance to succeed or to fail. From a player perspective, that kind of trust is important. But I don't know that he has the kind of understanding of these players' backgrounds and lives that could be useful in the NFL. If you're really in the locker room all the time with your fellow players and if you understand the realities they've faced, I think that's a concentrated sort of experience that can trump longevity.