If You Had A Chance To Say One Thing To Front Office

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ponder and Dalton just had Nixley written all over them.

I'm not disagreeing with you...But if that is true, why the f... did he take Aaron Williams ahead of Dalton? Was he waiting for Dalton to slide into the 3rd, even after that REAL early run on QB's in the 1st? Or, was Buddy simply not motivated enough to take a stab at a QB yet thinking Fitz was going to be just fine?...I just can't see how you Draft Williams ahead of Dalton if you like Dalton...I still don't get it... B-)

Sure, it's that easy.

Except it ISN'T.

Cutler is the ONLY name on that list you can make a valid case for.

The rest is just convenient 20/20 hindsight that believes everybody had Buffalo as a desired team to play for.

It's funny that on one side you argue that our FO is the most inept in history and then make a case that all those high profile QBs would love to play here. That was NEVER gonna happen no matter how much money we threw at them. Especially Manning, Brees, Warner, and Favre. Did you even pay attention when Manning became a free agent?

GO BILLS!!!

hard to get all your thoughts out in a couple of sentences......

#1- please show me the post where i say "that our FO is the most inept in history"...... (i think buddy is above average, i'm a buddy supporter, i just wish his top priority was a franchise QB.....because that is the single most important position on a team and our biggest need).

#2- please show me where i said "that all those high profile QBs would love to play here"......( i have no idea, and either does our GM until you reach out to them. i'm just saying, to the best of my knowledge, we didn't even try to bring any of them in). if your going to overpay for a defensive end....i would rather you overpay for a franchise QB. every single one of those QB's were in play and did move to another team. most athletes take the deal with the most money.

First...

"What did us fans do to deserve this?"

Then I would say something about how stupid it is to play games in Toronto and to bring all HOME games back to Buffalo

CBF

Maybe Rogers will discover a phantom schedule conflict and senf the Seattle game back. Given the difficulty of selling tickets to this game I'm sure they'd love to.

The only benfit to it being played in Toronto is it won't be blacked out like the other December games.

Maybe Rogers will discover a phantom schedule conflict and senf the Seattle game back. Given the difficulty of selling tickets to this game I'm sure they'd love to.

The only benfit to it being played in Toronto is it won't be blacked out like the other December games.

I guess but I still hate the fact that they play a game in Toronto

CBF

That's where you're wrong, they do. Without you they've got nothing. No team, no stadium, no players, no coaches.......no job. You're not very good at customer service are you?

As a consumer I am fully within my right to a.) take my business elsewhere or (since cheering for a football team is not a life-need) b.) stop caring/spending my time/money on football all together.

If anything, I'm a wreckless consumer. But that's my choice and not the Bills' responsibility.

I'm not disagreeing with you...But if that is true, why the f... did he take Aaron Williams ahead of Dalton? Was he waiting for Dalton to slide into the 3rd, even after that REAL early run on QB's in the 1st? Or, was Buddy simply not motivated enough to take a stab at a QB yet thinking Fitz was going to be just fine?...I just can't see how you Draft Williams ahead of Dalton if you like Dalton...I still don't get it... B-)

That's an excellent point. For some reason, I thought Dalton was in on the first round QB run. You're completely correct that he was available there in the second.

So let me rephrase: why the !@#$ didn't this band of retarded monkeys draft Dalton!?

Seriously though, four-year starter, five losses during that entire time (I think), I was touting this guy for awhile heading into the 2011 draft...

hard to get all your thoughts out in a couple of sentences......

#1- please show me the post where i say "that our FO is the most inept in history"...... (i think buddy is above average, i'm a buddy supporter, i just wish his top priority was a franchise QB.....because that is the single most important position on a team and our biggest need).

#2- please show me where i said "that all those high profile QBs would love to play here"......( i have no idea, and either does our GM until you reach out to them. i'm just saying, to the best of my knowledge, we didn't even try to bring any of them in). if your going to overpay for a defensive end....i would rather you overpay for a franchise QB. every single one of those QB's were in play and did move to another team. most athletes take the deal with the most money.

Are you claiming you DON'T think the front office has been inept?

Are you claiming those FAs WOULDN'T have come here anyway?

My apologies for using hyperbole in response to one of dozens of similar posts claiming how easy it is to get whatever franchise QB you target in FAgency. It isn't. Especially for Buffalo and especially in the case of Manning who was going to one of TWO teams, SF or Denver.

Like you said, you have no idea if any of them would have come to Buffalo and yet you have no problem saying how "easy it is."

If were easy, EVERY team would do it. The FACT is most teams DON'T have a franchise QB at ANY given time in history. They are rare and anything BUT easy to get.

I'll pass on debating the relative merits of going after Favre or Warner at those stages of their careers.

GO BILLS!!!

So let me rephrase: why the !@#$ didn't this band of retarded monkeys draft Dalton!?

Seriously though, four-year starter, five losses during that entire time (I think), I was touting this guy for awhile heading into the 2011 draft...

All I can say to that is A-freaking-men!!!... B-)

As a consumer I am fully within my right to a.) take my business elsewhere or (since cheering for a football team is not a life-need) b.) stop caring/spending my time/money on football all together.

If anything, I'm a wreckless consumer. But that's my choice and not the Bills' responsibility.

However if you're a regular consumer of the business's product and by how much you post here I assume your are, it is their repsonsibility to provide you with a top rate product. It's called keeping your clientele. Sure you can go wherever you want but being from WNY it's very hard for us to do that. I've followed the local baseball teams wherever I've lived outside of WNY but NEVER EVER their football or hockey teams like I do the Bills and Sabres. Oh and before you ask.......!@#$ the NBA.

Edited by Chef Jim

However if you're a regular consumer of the business's product and by how much you post here I assume your are, it is their repsonsibility to provide you with a top rate product. It's called keeping your clientele. Sure you can go wherever you want but being from WNY it's very hard for us to do that. I've followed the local baseball teams wherever I've lived outside of WNY but NEVER EVER their football or hockey teams like I do the Bills and Sabres. Oh and before you ask.......!@#$ the NBA.

Right, but they keep their clientele (me) IN SPITE of their ineptitude. So again, I argue, the onus is on me.

And if I wanted to cheer for a "competitor," wouldn't I take my business to another professional sports league, since it all goes to the same NFL pot anyways?

Right, but they keep their clientele (me) IN SPITE of their ineptitude. So again, I argue, the onus is on me.

And if I wanted to cheer for a "competitor," wouldn't I take my business to another professional sports league, since it all goes to the same NFL pot anyways?

Well then I guess you're an idiot. I feel they owe it to me to provide usable product and service and seeing they haven't I really haven't given a rats ass about the Bills, Sabres, football or hockey in the past few years. Baseball has been my sport seeing the teams I have followed since I've moved to the west coast (first the Dodgers and Angels now Giants and A's) seem to care about their fans. Buffalo sports have given me very little to follow for a number of years now.

Many thanks for all the great work and summary. This is a mst read for those who seem to whine endlessly that the problem here is the team has not devoted the effort to get a franchise QB when actually they have tried and simply failed (to my mind in part because of the lust of so many to find the next Jimbo has so often led the team to over-reach in attempting to find the next Jimbo ot imply rushed along the limited talent we have had.

That is so much easier said than done. I keep hearing this, but let's take a moment and do 2 things. First let's look at how many frnachise QBs there really are in the NFL right now. Within our own division Brady is the only one. Tannehill may evolve, but right now I would have to say that Fitz may very well be the 2nd best QB in our division. Looking at the league as a whole, here are the guys that I would call true frnachise QBs:

Tom Brady

Ben Roethlisberger

Peyton Manning

Eli Manning

Aaron Rodgers

Drew Brees

I count 6 of them. Now, there are a couple more that I think are close -- and are certainly guys who I would rather have over Fitz:

Matt Ryan

Joe Flacco

Philip Rivers

Tony Romo

Matt Stafford

Cam Newton

Stafford and Newton may even be pushing it a bit, as both are coming off one big year and have struggled some this year. Certainly from a talent perspective, they are franchise QBs. I have liked what I have seen from Luck and RG3 so far, but it is still too early to tell. So I count 6 franchise QBs, 6 who are close -- and 2-3 where the team is trying to figure out whether they have one or not. That means that half of the teams in the NFL are in the same boat as the Bills -- on the lookout for an upgrade at the position. Oh, and when you factor in that all of the 6 elite QBs I referenced have been in the league for 8+ years -- well their respective teams are on the lookout for heir apparants as well.

Now, the second question I have... Many people on this board seem to believe that the Bills really have not even TRIED to upgrade the QB position. That simply is not true. Where exactly could and should they have upgraded? Really, since Kelly left -- and going back thru prior adminstrations -- the front office HAS tried:

John Butler

1. Drafted Todd Collins, who turned out to be a career backup

2. Made the trade for Billy Joe Tolbert, who had a big arm but a two-cent brain

3. Brought in Doug Flutie. That turned out to be a positive move, as it was the last time that the team made it to the playoffs. However, Flutie was long in the tooth and it did not take defenses long to devise solid game plans against him.

4. Made the big trade for Rob Johnson, which was ballsy but clearly a poor choice.

Tom Donahoe

1. Made the big trade for Drew Bledsoe. For half a season that looked like a GREAT trade. Bledsoe actually brought some credibility to Western New York, and that credibility even aided Donahoe in signing some big defensive free agents in th next off-season. But Bledsoe rolled over the hill FAST.

2. Offered to trade away multiple picks to move up in the 2004 draft for Roethlisberger. However, none of the teams picking in the top 10 would bite. When he missed out on that trade he pacicked, and (with Sam Wyche whipering in his ear after having been wowed by private workouts), made the questionable decision to trade away the #1 pick in 2005 and the #2 pick that year (plus, I believe an additional late-round pick) to move up to get Losman. Obvioulsy that was a mistake. Who knows how the draft board may have changed, but a certain Aaron Rodgers would have been on the board for the Bills' 1st round pick, which went to Dallas, in 2005. Losman never worked out; he simply never learned to read a defense and was not much better than Rob Johnson in terms of getting the ball out of his hand quickly. If e could take the best characteristics of Losman (big arm and nice touch on the deep ball) and combine them with Fitz's best attributes, it would be just what the doctor ordered.

3. When Donahoe unceremonioulsy gave Dre his walking papers, he replaced him with journeyman Kelly Holcomb. Emphasis on the word journeyman.

Marv Levy

1. Eschewed the chance to draft Jay Cutler and instead decided to give JP one more shot. Cutler would have been an upgrade -- but he would not have been the long term answer either. He has more talent but is as inconsistent as Fitz -- and far less likeable. A year later they spent a late 3rd rounder on Trent Edwards. He had his moments -- but just never developed the art of throwing the ball BEFORE his receiver came out of the break. Captain Checkdown.

2. This was after Levy left, but since Jauron was still around and there was no real GM, I consider it part of the same adminsitration. But the front office tried to get Michael Vick -- and rumor has it that they were very close to doing so, when "someone" intervened and made thepsuh for him to go to Philly.

Buddy Nix

Now, the current regime has made all of the following moves:

1. Made a serious push to trade for Donovan McNabb, but McNabb chose to play in Washington instead and the Eagles' accomodated him.

2. Reportedly tried to trade up for Tebow. The front office denied this attempt, so who knows if it is true? Instead, they waited until the 7th round and drafted Levi Brown, who failed to make the final roster. The team brough him back later when injuries kicked in, but he was never able to stick.

3. Gave Trent Edwards one last shot to start -- and ended up releasing him after 3 games into the season.

4. Acquired Brad Smith as a Wildcat QB. The only pass I remember him throwing was intercepted, so I do not even truly consider him a QB.

5. Acquired Tyler Thigpen who had familiarity with Chan's pistol offense in KC. He has yet to see any serious action and renotiated his contract in the off-season to avoid being cut.

6. Brough in Vince Young, who struggled to pick up the offense.

7. Traded for Tarvaris Jackson, who has yet to be active in a single game since signing with the Bills. jackson did at least lead the Seahawks to a playoff berth 2 years ago.

So clearly, the team has not sat back and ignored the position. Just since Buddy and Chan took over 2 1/2 years ago they have made 7 moves (or near moves).

You could make the argument that they could have drafted Joe Flacco in 2008 instead of Maybin, but there were some questions about Flacco coming out and many thought the Ravens reached for him at the time by taking im in the middle of the first round. Josh Freeman was there for the taking in 2009, but aside from a strong 2010 season has looked awful. The QB class from 2010 looks terrible; Bradford may stick, but Tebow, Clausen, McCoy... The team was right to pass on those guys. (Too bad they wasted that 2nd rounder on Troup.)

Last year they hoped that Cam would afll to them, but he didn't. They though long and hard about Gabbert -- and thus far appear to have been smart about letting him go. I suppose they COULD have drafted Andy Dalton, but I do not see much upside there. I do not see him as a long-term upgrade over Fitz. Serviceable but hardly a franchise QB. This year Luck was as good as gone before the 2011 regular season was over. Look what it cost the Redskins to move up a few spots to get RG3!