Inside some numbers!

1. Bills offense ranks #6 in points scored; #6 in points/game (28.8); 11th in yards/game.

2. The Bills offense has scored a total of 115 points which ranks #6 in the NFL. With 12 TD's, Fitzpatrick accounts for 73% of the Bills SCORING.

By comparison, the #1 team New England has 134 points of offense: BRADY with 8 TD's (1 rushing) accounts for 41% of the Patriots scoring;

The #2 team Houston has 126 points on offense: Schaub with 7 TD's accounts for 38% of the Texams' scoring;

The #3 team Atlanta has 124 points on offense: Ryan with 12 TD's (1 rushing) accounts for 67% of the Falcons' scoring;

The #4 team Washington has 123 points on offfense; RGIII with 8 TD's (4 rushing) accounts for 45% of the Redskins' scoring;

The #5 team Baltimore has 121 points on offense; Flacco with 8 TD's (1 rushing) accounts for 46% of the Ravens' scoring

These stats aren't completely indicative of the truth (they're not meant to be), b/c they don't give credit for a QB driving his team 80yds down the field and then having the RB score from two yards out. However, what these stats DO tell us is how valuable Fitz has been to this team this season - he has generated 73% of our total scoring. Even more telling perhaps, these stats tell us how we have not been a well balanced offense this season and some attention needs to be brought to the play calling. Too much relying on the pass, IMO, when you have threats like FJ and Spiller who are worlds better than Stevie or any WR threat we have.

Just throwing it out there..something to keep an eye on as the season continues.

(if anyone else wants to continue down the list and maybe do the next 5 or so teams feel free...i'd be curious to know where others stand).

Here are some numbers for you:

The Buffalo Bills have the #27 ranked defense in the league in terms of yards, allowing more than 400 yards per game.

The Buffalo Bills have the #28 ranked defense in the league in terms of rushing yards, allowing 137 rushing yards per game.

The Buffalo Bills have the #30 ranked defense in the league in terms of points allowed, allowing nearly 33 points per game.

Is the problem the offense? It's a problem, yes, but not the biggest problem.

Here are some numbers for you:

The Buffalo Bills have the #27 ranked defense in the league in terms of yards, allowing more than 400 yards per game.

The Buffalo Bills have the #28 ranked defense in the league in terms of rushing yards, allowing 137 rushing yards per game.

The Buffalo Bills have the #30 ranked defense in the league in terms of points allowed, allowing nearly 33 points per game.

Is the problem the offense? It's a problem, yes, but not the biggest problem.

That's taking into account a draft a couple of years ago that was practically all defense; two of the last 1st round picks being defensive players; and the signing of Mario Williams. Great times. :death:

1. Bills offense ranks #6 in points scored; #6 in points/game (28.8); 11th in yards/game.

2. The Bills offense has scored a total of 115 points which ranks #6 in the NFL. With 12 TD's, Fitzpatrick accounts for 73% of the Bills SCORING.

By comparison, the #1 team New England has 134 points of offense: BRADY with 8 TD's (1 rushing) accounts for 41% of the Patriots scoring;

The #2 team Houston has 126 points on offense: Schaub with 7 TD's accounts for 38% of the Texams' scoring;

The #3 team Atlanta has 124 points on offense: Ryan with 12 TD's (1 rushing) accounts for 67% of the Falcons' scoring;

The #4 team Washington has 123 points on offfense; RGIII with 8 TD's (4 rushing) accounts for 45% of the Redskins' scoring;

The #5 team Baltimore has 121 points on offense; Flacco with 8 TD's (1 rushing) accounts for 46% of the Ravens' scoring

These stats aren't completely indicative of the truth (they're not meant to be), b/c they don't give credit for a QB driving his team 80yds down the field and then having the RB score from two yards out. However, what these stats DO tell us is how valuable Fitz has been to this team this season - he has generated 73% of our total scoring. Even more telling perhaps, these stats tell us how we have not been a well balanced offense this season and some attention needs to be brought to the play calling. Too much relying on the pass, IMO, when you have threats like FJ and Spiller who are worlds better than Stevie or any WR threat we have.

Just throwing it out there..something to keep an eye on as the season continues.

(if anyone else wants to continue down the list and maybe do the next 5 or so teams feel free...i'd be curious to know where others stand).

If by this point, if you don't see what and where the problems lie with Fitz, I think it's safe to say you're never going to see them...And I'll put it out there one more time...Don't concentrate so much on what he can do...Because what he can do most any elite NFL QB can do, only better...Concentrate on the plays he leaves on the table...The inaccuracies that kill drives, and worst case scenario, like the under-thrown INT to Graham last Sunday, cost The Bills points and momentum...Those are the type plays that will forever keep Fitz from reaching his potential...Which in turn will keep the Bills always just out of the Playoff picture...He's the ultimate tease at QB...Just good enough to make you think he can do it long-term...Then he breaks your heart...

Of course if the Defense plays the way they did vs the pats the Playoffs are a non-issue regardless...Even if Fitz plays out-of-his-mind... B-)

Actually bob.....and the others who have posted the defensive shortcomings.....

It means the same for both.....we are 4 games into a 16 game season.

If by this point, if you don't see what and where the problems lie with Fitz, I think it's safe to say you're never going to see them...And I'll put it out there one more time...Don't concentrate so much on what he can do...Because what he can do most any elite NFL QB can do, only better...Concentrate on the plays he leaves on the table...The inaccuracies that kill drives, and worst case scenario, like the under-thrown INT to Graham last Sunday, cost The Bills points and momentum...Those are the type plays that will forever keep Fitz from reaching his potential...Which in turn will keep the Bills always just out of the Playoff picture...He's the ultimate tease at QB...Just good enough to make you think he can do it long-term...Then he breaks your heart...

Of course if the Defense plays the way they did vs the pats the Playoffs are a non-issue regardless...Even if Fitz plays out-of-his-mind... B-)

So in other words, just concentrate on the negative all the time? There are only a handful of "elite" NFL QB's in the league that can do it week in and week out at an "elite" level...very little separates QB's after the top 5 or so. The only things that separate those other teams in the end revolve around the team as a whole: defense, special teams, coaching, etc. THAT is where we are FAR off the mark...not at QB.

Actually bob.....and the others who have posted the defensive shortcomings.....

It means the same for both.....we are 4 games into a 16 game season.

I completely agree. 4 games is a solid benchmark though. For all we know, the defense could be ranked top 5 next 4 games and the offense 28th...we'll see how it pans out. But for now, the disparity between offensive and defensive production on the Bills is pretty telling.

2 embarrassing crushing division losses.

7 interceptions by Fitzpatrick

Those are my stats

If you take out the INTs, then I'd say I'm happy with Fitz. He's missed a couple easy throws but he's made some hard ones too. His stats - other than the INTS - look good. As mentioned, he's thrown a bunch of TDs.

But we don't get to take out those INTs. Including them tells a different story. The D sucks and the O will have trouble bailing out the D with Fitz throwing to the wrong colored jersey.

2 embarrassing crushing division losses.

7 interceptions by Fitzpatrick

Those are my stats

You and th eOP are saying the same thing. When Fitz plays good the team wins, when he plays bad the team loses. So far fitz is 2 good games and 2 bad games. I think this sounds about right for him this year. Bills end up 8-8 and Fitz has crazy T.D #'s and crazy Int #'S.

OK, I'm driving right now, so perhaps someone else can do this for me. Look up points scored by the opposing team after a Fitz pass has been intercepted. Basically a team capitalizing off a turnover. Then subtract these points from the points scored by Fitz. How do these rankings look now? I'm not trying to prove any point here, I'm honestly curious.

Edited by kas23

Enough of the bright side Betsies. Fitz is good here, bad there, plays good here, bad there, some flashes of brilliance, some streaks of ineptitude. We get it.

If he doesn't show consistency by midseason, he should be benched. If DW doesn't call better plays by midseason, he should be fired.

Third year of a new regime. Good talent, and depth, on both sides of the ball. Time to put Ws on the board. Time to not be embarrassed anymore by division rivals. Time for us fans to demand better, and to stop looking at the bright side of a **** sandwich that should be a pastrami on rye.

Mmm. Pastrami.

Seriously--Bills Nation needs to send a message that this kind of playing and coaching won't be tolerated.

More numbers: Since Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey took over, the Bills are 12-24. Dick Jauron/Marv Levy/Russ Brandon in their first 36 games? 18-18.

Didn't someone once say don't tell me about the labor pains, show me the baby? Where is that guy? I just listed his numbers and they're awful.

How about this stat:

5 unanswered touchdowns at home

A good offense responds when the other team scores, a bad offense responds when the other team scores 5 touchdowns in a row. If you wanna look up stats, try that one.

So in other words, just concentrate on the negative all the time? There are only a handful of "elite" NFL QB's in the league that can do it week in and week out at an "elite" level...very little separates QB's after the top 5 or so. The only things that separate those other teams in the end revolve around the team as a whole: defense, special teams, coaching, etc. THAT is where we are FAR off the mark...not at QB.

Meh...Whatever...Every year there is a small faction that defends Fitz...And every year that faction gets smaller and smaller...If you don;t think the Bills are far off at QB then you have accepted the mediocrity that is Fitz...And best of luck with that! And I'm not saying this Team does not have other problems either...DUH! It would not be the Buffalo Bills otherwise...But we're not good enough at QB...And as long as it's Fitz that will probably be the case unless we establish a dominant run game...The chances of being a playoff team with Fitz at QB are slim and none...But if it's going to happen any year, this is the year because of the schedule.....We'll see...But I'm not holding my breath... B-)

Matthews bag: ur point is understood. I think that goes directly to what chan said about the team not being mentally tough. The defense should never give up so many consecutive TD's and the offense could have responded with more points. A complete breakdown by the entire team, including coaches. This team may need a shrink more than anything else vs the pats. Losing something like 17 of 18 to a single opponent in todays NFL is nuts. Should never happen. They're always waiting for other shoe to drop vs pats..and even vs jets

Matthews bag: ur point is understood. I think that goes directly to what chan said about the team not being mentally tough. The defense should never give up so many consecutive TD's and the offense could have responded with more points. A complete breakdown by the entire team, including coaches. This team may need a shrink more than anything else vs the pats. Losing something like 17 of 18 to a single opponent in todays NFL is nuts. Should never happen. They're always waiting for other shoe to drop vs pats..and even vs jets

I agree that the biggest problems for this team are mental. I don't believe that the talent level is that different from most teams around the league, that they should go 10 years without making the playoffs.