Colin Kaepernick [get 'er dun!]

Just think... The Bills could have had Andy Dalton too.

That is... Aaron Williams goes before Dalton (Pro Bowler) and Kaepernick in 2011... And in 2006, Cutler (Pro Bowler) goes after Whitner... And you wonder why the Bills have chronic QB problems!

Hindsight is 20/20....

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One game? Didn't Kap play against Buffalo?

Yes, one game. That was his first start. First TD Pass, ect, ect...

I had mentioned in my post that they had already been using him, mainly for the wildcat.

That is... Aaron Williams goes before Dalton (Pro Bowler) and Kaepernick in 2011... And in 2006, Cutler (Pro Bowler) goes after Whitner... And you wonder why the Bills have chronic QB problems!

Hindsight makes it so easy doesn't it? Of course if we went back in time and the Bills took a QB and he ended up being the next Losman with this team/coaching, people would be talking hindsight about that as well...

I'm still not sold on Dalton though. The guy owes pretty much all of his stats, and his pro bowl credentials to AJ Green. Even with Green, he hasn't been much more effective than our amazing Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

... potential ...

see we do agree when i narrow down your point to this one word. trent had it, too.

all i'm suggesting is that after one game we all hold off the superlatives and not yet buy into all the hype. it was one game. one. it was not the super bowl. he's not headed into the hall of fame just yet. i don't even know if the comparisons to RGIII are fair. good god, it was one game.

jw

Edited by john wawrow

Theres no way no in heck they let him go for a 2nd right now and not even a 1st. You have a potential franchise QB when the guy he's been playing behind they're openly not sure of. You'd have to offer them an RG3 kind of package for them to even think about it. Even then I doubt something gets done, they don't need all the picks, this is not a team in rebuild mode. Whether hes that good or not I don't know, but the potential seems to be there. I'll say one for thing certain about him, he has A LOT of tattoos

http://www.sfgate.com/news/slideshow/49ers-players-get-inked-up-49428.php#photo-3486564

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

for what it's worth, regarding the sudden Kaepernick hype: here's Trent Edwards numbers from his first career start (17-14 win over Jets): 22 of 28 for 234 yards, with TD and interception.

perhaps should wait a week or 2 before krowning Kaepernick king.

then again, in this day and age, all bets are off given the need to instantly place a label on everything and everyone. afterall, espn, this evening, enshrined not one, not two, but three active players into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. didn't even realize they had a vote.

jw

Rob Johnson would concur.

PTR

for what it's worth, regarding the sudden Kaepernick hype: here's Trent Edwards numbers from his first career start (17-14 win over Jets): 22 of 28 for 234 yards, with TD and interception.

perhaps should wait a week or 2 before krowning Kaepernick king.

then again, in this day and age, all bets are off given the need to instantly place a label on everything and everyone. afterall, espn, this evening, enshrined not one, not two, but three active players into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. didn't even realize they had a vote.

jw

This topiic is more of a reflection of most fans' recognition that the current qb for the Bills is inaduate as a franchise qb. In three years Nix has not even drafted a legitimate prospect to be developed. Nix was in position to draft Dalton in the second round a couple of years ago. Instead, he took a CB, Aaron Williams, who when playing is struggling. I have issues with Mallett's mobility and maturity but why not take a chance on him in the third round two drafts ago. He arguably was the best passer in that draft class.

In hindsight every fan is a genius. But not taking Dalton when he was available and when there was a desperate need to secure the most important position on the field is an opportunity lost on a franchise that can't afford many more missed opportunities. Dalton would now be our starting qb and Nix would then be in better position to address the many other needs and easier to fill needs that this franchise always seems to have.

Noooooooo, we could have had the almighty smoking jay cutler? file that away in the maybin/orakpo bin. aaron williams over kaepernick is stewing to be next on the list. Gonna give it a few games, but he looked sharp last night.

This topiic is more of a reflection of most fans' recognition that the current qb for the Bills is inaduate as a franchise qb. In three years Nix has not even drafted a legitimate prospect to be developed. Nix was in position to draft Dalton in the second round a couple of years ago. Instead, he took a CB, Aaron Williams, who when playing is struggling. I have issues with Mallett's mobility and maturity but why not take a chance on him in the third round two drafts ago. He arguably was the best passer in that draft class.

In hindsight every fan is a genius. But not taking Dalton when he was available and when there was a desperate need to secure the most important position on the field is an opportunity lost on a franchise that can't afford many more missed opportunities. Dalton would now be our starting qb and Nix would then be in better position to address the many other needs and easier to fill needs that this franchise always seems to have.

Of course, in hindsight every pick that develops into a successful player is a "missed opportunity".

The Williams pick isn't looking very good at this point, so certainly its fair to say who we DID pick isn't working out so far.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

This post makes it very difficult to write a snarky comment about Buddy Nix's supposed drafting evaluation and intellect.

After a couple of starts, now everyone thinks Kap is a franchise QB. One game, or one season wonders abound. Tebow, Matt Robinson, RobJohnson. And, yeah, I'm certain that after JP Losman's 3rd season there were most certainly a few teams that would have given up a 2nd for him. QBs that do it with their legs is a pretty good indicator that they can't do it with your head. (see Tebow, Vince Young, Cam Newton). If you can't do it with your head, you'll be a one or two season wonder that go nowhere. Elite QBs don't run, ie, Manning(s), Brees, Brady, Rodgers.

I just saw that Johnny Hekker, the rookie STL punter, has the highest completion percentage and QBR in the league! He is a perfect 3 for 3 for 42 yards and a TD, with a perfect 158.3 QBR. Sign him up!

After a couple of starts, now everyone thinks Kap is a franchise QB. One game, or one season wonders abound. Tebow, Matt Robinson, RobJohnson. And, yeah, I'm certain that after JP Losman's 3rd season there were most certainly a few teams that would have given up a 2nd for him. QBs that do it with their legs is a pretty good indicator that they can't do it with your head. (see Tebow, Vince Young, Cam Newton). If you can't do it with your head, you'll be a one or two season wonder that go nowhere. Elite QBs don't run, ie, Manning(s), Brees, Brady, Rodgers.

I definitely agreed with the first part of this statement, but the last part is questionable at best. I remember guys like Steve Young, John Elway, Aaron Rogers, ect being pretty good scrambling QB's. Furthermore, if you watched Kaepernick yesterday, he clearly did it all throwing, not rushing. I'm with you saying that it's too early to crown him a HOF QB, but saying he can't succeed because he can run doesn't make much sense to me...

One thing I took away from that game is that the kid has a cannon, and he can be impressively accurate down field.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Well Kaepernick has a pretty good pedigree so in spite of only having started one game, it's not like he's come out of nowhere. Plenty of people loved the kid and obviously the Niners traded up to grab him. One could argue that his success was predictable so the whole mindset that this kid hasn't done anything yet? Of course he hasn't but he looks poised for success and not failure AFAIC.

As far as you stereotyping QBs, I would be careful about that.

John Elway and Steve Young were running quarterback early in their careers before they learned the finer points of the position. Favre was a helter skelter fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants quarterback too.

Just because Kaepernick can use his legs doesn't condemn him to a career as a non-elite quarterback.

How do you think the attitude would be on THIS board if we had the kid on our team and he played a game like that for us this early in his career?

Kudos to SF for making the pick.

Lots more of those types of QBs that posters here wanted. Kevin Kolb. Matt Flynn.