Defensive gameplan and no adjustments

Max997

I don't know which was worse. The gameplan on defense was just awful for the second time in 4 games but even worse was sticking with it without making any adjustments.

At some point you would think they would accept what they are doing isn't working so maybe try something else

I fully expected the defense to hv some struggles early on and to get progressively better but what we are seeing is just brutal

Edited by Max997

There is no defensive gameplan. Expecting your front four to get pressure consistently is not a gameplan. It is a refusal to gameplan. It's sandlot football that clearly doesn't work in today's league.

kj

There is no defensive gameplan. Expecting your front four to get pressure consistently is not a gameplan. It is a refusal to gameplan. It's sandlot football that clearly doesn't work in today's league.

kj

I read on here that the key to beating the Pats is rushing 4. The giants showed us....

You're all terrible at picking a football team to root for.....

Ooooops me too.

No choice for me; they're my birthright. They're mine till I die, the good and the bad. And I'm happy with that.

I read on here that the key to beating the Pats is rushing 4. The giants showed us....

Mmm, not exactly - the key to beating the Pats is GETTING PRESSURE WITH 4, while taking away the short stuff across the middle of the field.

That is a successful recipe - provided you actually GET PRESSURE WITH 4, and take away the short stuff.

We did neither

I agree. Best talent we've had in years. REFUSING to adjust to a few blitz plays after the front 4 showed time and time again a complete inability to pressure Brady is downright insane. It's one thing for one of the best QBs in the league to beat us. It's another for our asinine refusal to change it up defensively.

This team won't win more than 6 with this current philosophy.

I agree. Best talent we've had in years. REFUSING to adjust to a few blitz plays after the front 4 showed time and time again a complete inability to pressure Brady is downright insane. It's one thing for one of the best QBs in the league to beat us. It's another for our asinine refusal to change it up defensively.

This team won't win more than 6 with this current philosophy.

Despite this boards insisting the opposite - the pats are a damn good team. They've been an elite offense for years. We gave them 6 turnovers.

Were lucky it didn't get uglier with that single stat.

Wasn't a great day for the front 4. Hopefully they show up better next week.

Mmm, not exactly - the key to beating the Pats is GETTING PRESSURE WITH 4, while taking away the short stuff across the middle of the field.

That is a successful recipe - provided you actually GET PRESSURE WITH 4, and take away the short stuff.

We did neither

Once we saw that rushing 4 wasn't getting pressure, what's the logical thing to do? Switch it up. Show different looks. The pats knew we would bring 4 all day. They game planned against it. We got crushed. We didn't make any adjustments.

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/02/01/super-bowl-playbook-blitz-tendencies/

This link shows a breakdown of the giants play calling last season. Not vs the pats, but the entire season. On third down, the giants rushed 5 or more 47 percent of the time. I'd love to see our percentage this season. It might be under 10%

Once we saw that rushing 4 wasn't getting pressure, what's the logical thing to do? Switch it up. Show different looks. The pats knew we would bring 4 all day. They game planned against it. We got crushed. We didn't make any adjustments.

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/02/01/super-bowl-playbook-blitz-tendencies/

This link shows a breakdown of the giants play calling last season. Not vs the pats, but the entire season. On third down, the giants rushed 5 or more 47 percent of the time. I'd love to see our percentage this season. It might be under 10%

That really does pretty much sum it up. We thought we could get pressure with our front 4. We didn't. And then they did absolutely nothing to adjust. It's almost like this coaching staff has a pre-game mindset - when we see this, we do this. And they stick with it all game long even if its not working. There's no flexibility, no adjusting, no back up plan.

Another thing... there's no fire, no intensity when they play divisional games. It's like the Jets and Pats* come out all fired up, hitting hard playing tough and the Bills come out like no big deal its just another game. But its not just another game! And we continue to come out with a loss and multiple players injured.

Chan and company are really starting to show their sucktitude.

Despite this boards insisting the opposite - the pats are a damn good team. They've been an elite offense for years. We gave them 6 turnovers.

Were lucky it didn't get uglier with that single stat.

Wasn't a great day for the front 4. Hopefully they show up better next week.

"I think they were really challenging us to run the ball," Brady said. "They had some little guys on the field with our big personnel groupings, so at that point you have to try and take advantage of it. You can't just keep throwing into a heavy pass defense, so we ran it."

Despite the poor showing of our D line, and Fitz, this was a coaching failure from start to finish. If we had adjusted, we might have won that game, as crazy as it sounds looking at the score.

"I think they were really challenging us to run the ball," Brady said. "They had some little guys on the field with our big personnel groupings, so at that point you have to try and take advantage of it. You can't just keep throwing into a heavy pass defense, so we ran it."

Despite the poor showing of our D line, and Fitz, this was a coaching failure from start to finish. If we had adjusted, we might have won that game, as crazy as it sounds looking at the score.

or brady could have picked us apart in the air when we adjusted.

hes an all time great one. sometimes they hit a rhythm and are damn tough to stop no matter what you do.

the thing with the pats is their big ones and small ones arent that different thanks to gronks versatility. we trot out a small package and the personnel is on the field to run, we trot out a big one and its already a passing personnel grouping.

theres a reason the pats have averaged just 3 losses a year with brady the last several years despite a shaky defense - they are really damn hard to stop even on the best day with the best scheme. im not saying yesterday was the best scheme.

give them the ball back 6 times, and you are going to get beat soundly. 100% of the time.

Edited by NoSaint

When I saw Wanny rushing 3 a couple times, I was completely flabbergasted!!

Wow, yeah, This game was a nightmare. Outgunned and outclassed. We looked worse than first year Freshman on a High School Team. The NFL Should just kick us out for being so inept...

I keep hearing everyone complain about Mario, but when a team comes out with a 2-Tight End set and you make no adjustments out of your base 4 front and nickle package you deserve to give up the most rushing yards in Bills' history. It is not the players, it is the scheme and failure to adjust to what the other team is doing. That was a craptastic job of defensive coaching and adjustment.

This was like a chess match where one opponent never changes strategy to adjust to the next move. I don't understand why Wanny would not switch to a bigger front and sub some of our smurfs for linebackers. All the analyst said that NE cannot run the spread very well this year and still protect Brady so they have been going with their jumbo, mass protection scheme with 2 TE's. It is like our coaches were watching film from 2 years ago on how to beat NE and have not adjusted since.

None of that excuses Fitzturnover for throwing all those picks. So far we have faced 2 of our AFC East opponents and we have been outscored by by a total of 44 points. And when Fitz has to throw to catch up he throws picks - lots of picks.