A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order.....

Bill from NYC

What was most disappointing about this game was the manner in which the Pats' OL, without its best blocker in Mankins, manhandled our DL. It was embarrassing. Mario Williams was invisible and our most consistent lineman, Kyle Williams, played the worst game I have ever seen him play. It was like watching an SEC team playing UB.

In almost all aspects of the game the Bills were outplayed. But there is no need for an in-depth analysis. You don't get anywhere without a good qb. As a starter Fitz is simply inadequate. He certainly has the brains to play the position but he simply doesn't have a strong enough arm to allow the Bills to be a serious team. Fitz is a quality backup. Until that position is upgraded the Bills will be not only a mediocre team, but also a mediocre franchise. You can have a very flawed team on both sides of the ball and still be competitive if you have a good qb.Without a good qb the team is going to flounder, just as it has for almost a generation.

I was watching a portion of the Skins game. In Robert Griffin III they have a gem. Whether the team wins or loses in his rookie year the franchise has hope that they are going to be a quality franchise in the near future. Until our organization addresses the most important position on the team it will continue its history of mediocrity.

An observation: The Bills best player in this game was Gilmore. There were a number of plays where Graham was open downfield. Fitz couldn't get the ball down the field with enough steam to capitalize on the opportunities. Chandler has the best hands of any of our receivers.

There is no doubt that having a stud at QB can make up for a lot of other deficiencies on a football team. That is precisely why it is fascinating that this Bills regime has spent nothing more than a single 7th round draft pick on the position in 3 years. Although, I guess we can add another future pick for the privilege of carrying Tarvaris Jackson as the 3rd QB. Interesting that after being with the team a month, it is announced that he will "stay the third QB" behind Tyler Thigpen. :doh:

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bill, I was disappointed in the Spiller fumble, and I think that was the exact moment that they lost the game, the really nice Jones reception notwithstanding.

That said, I can't blame Spiller. Gailey is asking, here, a guy with a bum shoulder who is not a between the tackles runner to run into a pile anchored by Vince !@#$ Wilfork at the 2 yard line. They say that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result, but I think this play-call ranks a close second. Should he not have fumbled it? Of course. Should we have concerns about his fumbling? Maybe. But I think the bigger issue is the lack of preparation and failure to adjust against what are starting to look like better coaching staffs.

Better choices abounded there - FredEx, even a QB draw. Then you're looking at 21-7 into the half, and that feels a lot more like a hole for an opposing team going into the locker room. Since both teams had made their share of mistakes in the first half, escaping it with a 14-point lead and having driven down the field would have been good for morale.

As for the D, it's been mentioned in another thread but what they did (or didn't do) against NE's line, as well as the assignments on receivers, tell me that there is real cause for concern regarding Wannstedt's schemes. He needs to adjust, and fast. Bryan Scott can be a nice player, but he and Barnett were getting schooled all day.

So apparently FJ gets a pass on his fumble? When the game was 28-21 and still within reach. I'm sorry but that was way more costly. Now your just straight hating on Spiller.

Starting, he never stopped hating Spiller.

Bill, I was disappointed in the Spiller fumble, and I think that was the exact moment that they lost the game, the really nice Jones reception notwithstanding.

That said, I can't blame Spiller. Gailey is asking, here, a guy with a bum shoulder who is not a between the tackles runner to run into a pile anchored by Vince !@#$ Wilfork at the 2 yard line. They say that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result, but I think this play-call ranks a close second. Should he not have fumbled it? Of course. Should we have concerns about his fumbling? Maybe. But I think the bigger issue is the lack of preparation and failure to adjust against what are starting to look like better coaching staffs.

Better choices abounded there - FredEx, even a QB draw. Then you're looking at 21-7 into the half, and that feels a lot more like a hole for an opposing team going into the locker room. Since both teams had made their share of mistakes in the first half, escaping it with a 14-point lead and having driven down the field would have been good for morale.

As for the D, it's been mentioned in another thread but what they did (or didn't do) against NE's line, as well as the assignments on receivers, tell me that there is real cause for concern regarding Wannstedt's schemes. He needs to adjust, and fast. Bryan Scott can be a nice player, but he and Barnett were getting schooled all day.

I agree bone head call from Chan. Jackson, Choice, McIntyre, Fitz sneak ... all better options. Some times I have no idea what Chans thinking.

SS Wilson is a former WR. They have to upgrade the position.

Wanny is not helping matters at all. I saw very little blitzing. No way Rodgers can matchup with Gronk. We still have no clue on Welker. How about double team on Welker and Gronk?? We got outcoached again.

More than anything the Bills are weak mentally. When they got down there was no fight.

Very disappointing on many levels.

"Outcoached, again" is my impression as well. When the Pats came out and marched down the field, I had to stop watching - it was just too easy.

Then when we managed to stop them, and score 3 TDs, I thought "OK, early jitters, now the D has settled down"

The bottom line is, when you're ahead by 14 points partway through the 3 Q, you really ought to be able to STAY ahead. New England adjusted, and we didn't. That's coaching. Even if you want to blame the players for not executing on D (which I do), and on O (which I do - too many 3 and outs in the 3rd quarter), it's coaching to get in the player's grills and tell them they're getting their asses whipped in their own house, stand up like men and start fighting.

And it's coaching to say "OK, our run game as game planned is just not working - how about that fullback and 2 TE thing we pulled against KC?"

Edited by Hopeful

Kid had a nice shank.

I hardly think punting is a major reason we lost this game, nor in comparison to our other glaring weaknesses should it be a point of conversation now. I called this blowout directly due to our poor LBs and DBs - I just didn't think the DL was going to lay such a big egg

Another thing: why in the world cant our pass rushers be taught to get their hands up in the air in passing lanes? Theyre so fixated on sacks. need to review when wilfork got his hands up and deflected Fitzs pass that resulted in interception

We had a knoch down as well. Not sure who did it but we did.

"Outcoached, again" is my impression as well. When the Pats came out and marched down the field, I had to stop watching - it was just too easy.

Then when we managed to stop them, and score 3 TDs, I thought "OK, early jitters, now the D has settled down"

The bottom line is, when you're ahead by 14 points partway through the 3 Q, you really ought to be able to STAY ahead. New England adjusted, and we didn't. That's coaching. Even if you want to blame the players for not executing on D (which I do), and on O (which I do - too many 3 and outs in the 3rd quarter), it's coaching to get in the player's grills and tell them they're getting their asses whipped in their own house, stand up like men and start fighting.

And it's coaching to say "OK, our run game as game planned is just not working - how about that fullback and 2 TE thing we pulled against KC?"

I'm with u on this hopeful. And this is what infuriates me the most. Wtf is the passion and fire??!!Why are the coaches and the players always quiet? look at other teams and how they talk. Its a player that gets them hype and hungry or a couple players. Example, look at the giants. If u !@#$ up coughlin will let u know. He's always in the game and always has someth to say. Bellicheat, you usually see him with his D letting them have it and telling them what they need to do!!

If the team takes on the personality of the HC, were done.

No passion, no fire, no heart from coaches or players. That's a recipe for getting your ass handed to you. And that's what they got today.

Add bad coaching and that's a rap!!

I fully agree with this. I didn't blame this fiasco of a game on Spiller. And although the fumble is, imo, a concern, he shouldn't have been in there. CJ is a speedster, not a power back. There WERE better options. Even a field goal might have made a difference, or at least we would have been that much more deluded going into the half.

Why was Brady still in the game? And throwing deep too.

Belichek knows how to win the future games. The Bills believe they are the Patriots B word so Belechik treats them like it. Pure gamesmanship. He does it every time.

I know there's a lot of focus on the D line this game, but how about the LBs (who)? Barnett made a few tackles and perhaps played hard but even though the Bills were in nickel 90% of the day, I don't recall a play where a linebacker made an actual play all day.

Have the Bills ever had worse linebackers?

Edited by John Adams

Belichek knows how to win the future games. The Bills believe they are the Patriots B word so Belechik treats them like it. Pure gamesmanship. He does it every time.

I know there's a lot of focus on the D line this game, but how about the LBs (who)? Barnett made a few tackles and perhaps played hard but even though the Bills were in nickel 90% of the day, I don't recall a play where a linebacker made an actual play all day.

Have the Bills ever had worse linebackers?

I think you have a point. People are blaming the line a lot, but there's only so much you can ask of them when at a minimum it's it's 5 vs 4 against them. LBs are supposed to come in and plug holes

I don't think this is Over Reacting to this lose this goes back to last year vs the Redskins because your starting to see that Coaching is very important & a Star QB makes a difference

Its Obviously that Gailey & Fitzpatrick are below average & everyone wants to root for the underdog but this is real life & real money & it doesn't work that way we need a young smart Coach with a young star QB to change things but we need someone go out & take a chance & spends some money but Buddy Nix's still thinks Bart Starr is still playing so the whole front office needs to get younger too

there are good young coaches out there younger than 60 & this Draft QB class is good, I could careless about this season because if you got a coach that can't make adjustment & giving up over 30 points in the 4th & a QB that has a good day by only giving up 4 ints isn't worth getting upset over week after week

Bryan Scott and that "other" CB are not linebackers. Sheppard and Moats didn't play much of the game because the Bills played "nickle defense". Thats how the Pats ran for 200+ yards.

When will the Bills learn to just stay the hell away from Wilfork?

Maria Williams is nothing special.In fact maybe he should be benched for lack of performance. He is not and has not been getting double teamed. He doesn't worry anybody. Don't know what it takes to motivate him. I guess it's not money.

Mark "Maybin" Anderson does nothing except take the scenic route to being out of the play.

Dareus and K. Williams are getting the double teams.

Wannstedt is a washed up retread. How smart is this guy? Really.

The O played well enough to win but they needed to run the ball to seal the deal and couldn't do it.

It was a heavyweight bought and the Bills had them against the ropes until they took an upper cut and the D was KO'ed.

Game Over

Oh, and why the hell can't Maria move to the other side occasionally?

1) Chandler was one of the few players who actually came to play football today. Both of his TDs were nice, well executed plays.

2) George Wilson had a bad game from start to finish. It was probably the worst of his career. I hope that this doesn't spur Nix to use our 2013 first round draft pick on a safety, but this is more than likely a given.

3) The end of the 1st half capsulized every bad thing about the Bills. Once again, Gailey refused to get to the deuce. He stopped the clock TWICE, seconds before the 2 minute warning with incomplete passes. Once again, he got lucky and made a first down, but it turned out not to be so lucky, no?

4) Timeout after a touchback with 10:29 left in the 4th qtr., down by 2 tds? And another one shortly thereafter? It's time to seriously question whether or not Gailey is an adequate HC.

5) Go ahead and kick my ass, but Spiller's fumble before the half was VERY costly. It was a bad, stupid play. And as much as he is beloved, a pattern is starting to form. Yes, he played despite his injury. Fine, thanks. But he cost us momentum and points. And despite his ypc, he sucked. His blocking was horrible, and his fumble cost us dearly. But we can always point to his stats and pretend all is well.

6) Wheels broke down, leader won't draw.

The line is busted, the last one I saw.

Tomorrow come trouble

Tomorrow come pain.

Now don't think too hard..... baby.

'Cause I know what I'm sayin.'

7) Mario and Anderson were absolutely NOT better than the combo of Edwards, Kelsay, and Carrington last season. Not one freaking bit better, and they were NOT going up against stellar OTs either. Mario looked like he was scrimmaging. He completely sucked today. Enough to be concerned.

8) Week after week I praise Dareus, but HE even sucked today, and so btw did Kyle Williams.

9) BIG TIME props to Gilmore!!!!! He really might be a first round DB that was NOT a wasted pick. He came to play today! In fact, at one point he looked like the only player on the defense, other than Barnett, who looked as if he actually gave a flying f*#k.

10) Fitz? He was flat out awful. His arm was SO weak that he really had no chance to connect deep to Graham. This is a shame, because Graham does have deep speed. Fitz does run well. Big deal. But my strong fear is that he is an inadequate QB. Even after today, his stats are not THAT bad. But he owes much of this to Gailey, who is obsessed with the pass, personnel notwithstanding.

11) Nice TD by Jones. I credit Gailey for this; it's nice when it actually works.

12) 75% of the season to go. We are no strangers to suffering, nor to keeping lit the flames of hope.

13) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

turnover game. simple as that. the CJ and Fred fumbles killed us. CJ scores and you're up 14 and fired up into halftime. down 7 and driving, Fred fumbles and your down 14 and the game is over. turnovers lose games. they were handing us the game to take over with fumbles and missed FGs and we just turnover'ed it right back to them. turnovers decide games in today's NFL. get them when it really matters or give them when it really matters and you can pretty much tell which team will have the deciding advantage. especially when playing really well prepared teams like the Pats. this is easy. Byrd made a great effort to get those turnovers, but CJ, Fred and Fitz lost this game by giving them back.

I said it before and I say it again. Nine wins or we get a new coach and a new front office. Was there different personnel on the field after halftime for either team? No....were we winning in the irst half? yes. What happened in the second half? ADJUSTMENTS. A good coach made them and a bad coach didn't. Nine wins.