A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order.....

Bill from NYC

6. Both Jackson and Spiller showed rust, although thru about 3 qtrs I liked what I was seeing out of FJ: blocking, running and receiving. Would like to have seen Choice get some carries throughout.

Neither Fred or CJ should have even been in that game. Clearly neither were ready. Rushed back out of desperation by Gailey.

I hardly think punting is a major reason we lost this game, nor in comparison to our other glaring weaknesses should it be a point of conversation now. I called this blowout directly due to our poor LBs and DBs - I just didn't think the DL was going to lay such a big egg

Agreed by everyone I'm sure. But it sure doesn't help to hand Marcia good field position for no reason either.

I'm with u on this hopeful. And this is what infuriates me the most. Wtf is the passion and fire??!!Why are the coaches and the players always quiet? look at other teams and how they talk. Its a player that gets them hype and hungry or a couple players. Example, look at the giants. If u !@#$ up coughlin will let u know. He's always in the game and always has someth to say. Bellicheat, you usually see him with his D letting them have it and telling them what they need to do!!

If the team takes on the personality of the HC, were done.

No passion, no fire, no heart from coaches or players. That's a recipe for getting your ass handed to you. And that's what they got today.

Add bad coaching and that's a rap!!

I watched the pressers by Fitz and Gailey on the local Bills post game show. Fitz handled it well, but Gailey looked like a tired and beaten old man. No fire, no anger, no answers. Just plain beaten.

Why was Brady still in the game? And throwing deep too.

Making a statement after the 1-2 start to the season.

Plus with the way the pats* lost their two games combined with the way the Bills were able to burn the pats* D in the middle of the field he wanted to make damn sure of that W.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I said it before and I say it again. Nine wins or we get a new coach and a new front office. Was there different personnel on the field after halftime for either team? No....were we winning in the irst half? yes. What happened in the second half? ADJUSTMENTS. A good coach made them and a bad coach didn't. Nine wins.

We get what is willing to come here, and it ain't much at this point. If RW throws a tantrum and decides to make a change I doubt anyone of substance is willing to even interview for the GM and HC jobs. And I wonder if Mr. Smithers-Brandon has told him how impossible it was to get interviews for the GM and HC jobs not three years ago?

This team NEVER plays 4 quarters.... NEVER.

Even when they start hot and get up big, they coast through the second half.

Yesterday, the team quit about half way through the third quarter.

With the exception of quarterback, I think the talent level is enough to compete for a playoff spot.

But the passion, fire and attitude on this team is absolutely pathetic.

They let themselves get pushed around -- and honestly, I don't think they even care.

I don't think it is a matter of quitting. More that the pats* coaches adjusted at halftime at least a little (they really didn't have to much, they just needed to eliminate mistakes) and the Bills coaches did what they seemingly always do, stick to the original plan.

The difference to me in the second half is that the pats* stayed calm and just came to the realization that they were the better team, then went out and played that way. They seemingly never thought they were going to lose, even when the Bills took the big lead in the 3rd quarter. Some would call that a winners mentality versus a losers mentality.

There is no doubt that having a stud at QB can make up for a lot of other deficiencies on a football team. That is precisely why it is fascinating that this Bills regime has spent nothing more than a single 7th round draft pick on the position in 3 years. Although, I guess we can add another future pick for the privilege of carrying Tarvaris Jackson as the 3rd QB. Interesting that after being with the team a month, it is announced that he will "stay the third QB" behind Tyler Thigpen. :doh:

My frustration goes beyond Fitz and any particular draft year. It is absolutely stupid not to have successfully addressed the most important position in the sport for more than a generation. There have been some serious albeit futile attempts to find a legitimate franchise qb, such as the Bledsoe and Losman selectiions. Bledsoe was past his prime and Losman had tools but no feel for the game. But not having those transactions work out is not what bothers me. How is it that even a backwater organization with a clueless owner not find a legitimate franchise qb for more than a generation? It makes no sense. I readily acknowledge that filling the most critical position is not easy. But if you can't satisfactorily address that critical need for a generation then that is just pathetic.

As I stated in my original post a high quality qb can allow a team with obvious deficiences on both sides of the ball to be competitive. The Bills don't even have a prospect in the pipeline who can be developed over time. That is an organizational failure.

I said it before and I say it again. Nine wins or we get a new coach and a new front office. Was there different personnel on the field after halftime for either team? No....were we winning in the irst half? yes. What happened in the second half? ADJUSTMENTS. A good coach made them and a bad coach didn't. Nine wins.

A bad coach also called a run up the middle into Vince Wilfork from his speed back when he should have kept his foot on the Pats' throats.

It bears repeating.

My frustration goes beyond Fitz and any particular draft year. It is absolutely stupid not to have successfully addressed the most important position in the sport for more than a generation. There have been some serious albeit futile attempts to find a legitimate franchise qb, such as the Bledsoe and Losman selectiions. Bledsoe was past his prime and Losman had tools but no feel for the game. But not having those transactions work out is not what bothers me. How is it that even a backwater organization with a clueless owner not find a legitimate franchise qb for more than a generation? It makes no sense. I readily acknowledge that filling the most critical position is not easy. But if you can't satisfactorily address that critical need for a generation then that is just pathetic.

As I stated in my original post a high quality qb can allow a team with obvious deficiences on both sides of the ball to be competitive. The Bills don't even have a prospect in the pipeline who can be developed over time. That is an organizational failure.

Its not as easy as you make it out to be, and its not liek the bills are the only ones striking out on QBs

The Dolphins are still looking for Marinos replacement

The Broncos have been looking for a consistent replacement for Elway for a while

The 49ers haven't had a decent starting QB since Young

The Browns? The Raiders? The Chiefs? The Redskins?

This loss is squarely on the coaching staff. They were abused in every phase of the game. Its just unthinkable that we play the Pats* twice every year and the coaching staff still cannot grasp a few simple facts. Pressure Brady up the middle and cover Welker and Gronk at all times. And don't get in a shootout with Brady!

The game plan was what.... ? Let Fitz throw 40 times and only rush Brady with 4 down linemen. That's a recipe for a loss every time. All they did was put the players in a position to fail and they executed it to perfection. Complete fail by this team. No energy, no intensity, no adjustments, no nothing but go out and hope we catch a few breaks. Pretty pathetic really.

The Pats have a good Run D and a poor Pass D so, yeah, you let Fitz throw the ball 40 times and hope for the best. I'll actually defend that part of the game plan.

But there's no way to defend the defensive game plan. As we saw in the Jets game, Wanny has a knack for doing less with more.

This loss is squarely on the coaching staff. They were abused in every phase of the game. Its just unthinkable that we play the Pats* twice every year and the coaching staff still cannot grasp a few simple facts. Pressure Brady up the middle and cover Welker and Gronk at all times. And don't get in a shootout with Brady!

The game plan was what.... ? Let Fitz throw 40 times and only rush Brady with 4 down linemen. That's a recipe for a loss every time. All they did was put the players in a position to fail and they executed it to perfection. Complete fail by this team. No energy, no intensity, no adjustments, no nothing but go out and hope we catch a few breaks. Pretty pathetic really.

I have to agree - the loss was mostly to be put on the coaching. It is obvious to me whenever we play the Patriots that the Bills are PREDICTABLE to them. They know what we can and cannot do personnel-wise, and they know what our coaches like to do - and rather than coming into the game with a fresh, unseen gameplan, we come into these games doing just what they think we're going to do! And no surprise, we lose terribly. I tell you - these HC's at the NFL level, 75% of them are doing nothing more than many a college coach could do. There's only a few that actually press the envelope when it comes to really creative, world class coaching.

I recall a game against the browns a few years ago - it was the Patriots Browns. Mangini was coaching, and the Browns beat the Patriots. Nobody expected it. After the game, Mangini said this - and I paraphrase - "We put together two totally different game plans for the Patriots. One to be executed in the first half, the other to be executed in the second. That way, whatever adjustments they made at halftime would go toward a gameplan no longer in place." Now that is creative! It worked! The Patriots are so good at making adjustments you have to have the insight and the courage to do things like this!

Anyway, it just looks like they're always two steps ahead of us. I looked like the Bills merely tried to mirror N.Y. Giants type game plan against this team, despite us not having the same personnel, despite us not having anywhere near the same caliber offense. To think that Wannstedt couldn't see the need to play more creative defense, to send blitzers, to rattle Brady when he was still off-balance? But, it's not all on the coaching, although it starts there, for sure.

Mario and Fitz are two men who need to be called out. Gailey should not continue to coddle these two. Neither is playing even at a mid-pro level. Fitz's stats are so misleading. He is a result of Gailey's system. A result of C.J. Spiller's running. You take away two recent good defensive games and C.J. Spiller, and you put those games on Fitz - and we'd have more like 5 touchdowns 11 interceptions. That's the kind of QB we have. That's the kind of QB we've HAD for two years! I just cannot continue to watch this team send that same, innacurate, incompetent, inconsistent QB out onto the field, game after game - even the look on Stevie Johnsons face, and body language, yesterday spoke of his frustration with Fitz's throws. We've got a second string QB - lets use him! And, if it were me - I'd bench Mario for a few series or for a game, and give someone else a try, if he continues to play with such lack of motivation and effort.

With the exception of quarterback, I think the talent level is enough to compete for a playoff spot.

But the passion, fire and attitude on this team is absolutely pathetic.

They let themselves get pushed around -- and honestly, I don't think they even care.

I've got to agree with you there, too. And, that starts with the Coaches. The HC who really cares, who is heated and passionate, will transfer that passion onto his players. He will not allow laughter and excuses after poor performances. He will make the week a nightmare for the team if they perform like this. Our guys? They look like they are "professionals" in the worst sense of the word - they are there collecting a paycheck. That is what is important. There are exceptions - Kyle Williams, Nick Barnett, Fred Jackson, CJ Spiller, Gilmore - and our offensive line. Otherwise, many of these guys look like it matters little.

I'll tell you - on that touchdown run by one of the Pat's runners putting them up by 14 or 21 yesterday - it was from like the 8 yard line - our guys just gave up. They stood there - some of them - and watched the dude run in. And it was only the late 3rd quarter, early 4th! There was still time to play and to hope! But, these guys knew it was over, and they gave up. Why did they KNOW it was over? Because Fitzpatrick doesn't give them a legitimate chance to come back. Because the coaching was outcoached and didn't respond. Changes need to be made here - even if it is mostly attitude.

Perfectly stated. Particularly defensively, it is so hard to watch the Bills and then watch teams that have a clue. When is the last time the Bills made a meaningful in-game adjustment to a poorly designed game plan???

Its not as easy as you make it out to be, and its not liek the bills are the only ones striking out on QBs

I didn't say it was easy. I said the opposite. But good solid organizations over time find ways to adequately staff the most important positon on the team.

The Broncos have been looking for a consistent replacement for Elway for a while

The Dolphins used a first round pick on Tannehill in last year's draft. Is he going to be an impact qb? Only time will tell. At least they invested in that position.

The Broncos drafted Cutler in the first round and had him for a number of years before the situation soured. Now they have Peyton Manning.

The Browns drafted Weeden with a lower first round selection. I believe that by next year he will be a good qb. Only time will tell.

The former lunatic owner of the Raiders, crazy Al Davis, used the first pick in the draft to take JaMarcus Russell. It was a mistake. If you want to compare Buffalo to Oakland then you are comparing us to not only a dysfunctional franchise under the former weird owner you are comparing our situation to a chaotic organization when he guided it.

The Chiefs have been struggling for quite some time. They have made some progress but their lack of a high quality qb has kept their franchise from making the leap. Cassell and Fitz are both of the same caliber i.e. below average. The obvious point is that you go nowhere without a good qb.

The Redskins traded a boatload of picks to move a few spots up to draft Robert Griffin III. The key position is now set for a decade or more. He is a scintillating player who will sometimes struggle because he is a rookie but make no mistake about it he is going to be a premier qb who leads his team to much success.

You can manufacture all the excuses you want for not acquiring an impact qb in a generation or more. That is one of the primary reasons why this franchise has struggled during that duratiion. Godd organizations find a way; mediocre organizations don't.

What's your point? That some teams don't have good QB's and therefore because we're not the only team it somehow is excused? Well pardon me, but that ain't the standard anymore. The good teams get the QB position right, some teams whiff, but only 1 team in the entire National Football League has failed more since 2010 on the QB position. And that's the Buffalo Bills, who now have 3 guys who are now on their 3rd team since 2009.

The standard is playoffs in 2012, not mediocrity or worse. You need a QB to get to the post-season and they should have seen this guy can't do it consistently.

There is only one to blame in this game and that's Wannstedt. Bills had a 14 point lead offense was doing okay, defense was stopping Brady pretty consistently. Patriots came out and made their adjustments, but Wanny had no clue or was too stubborn with his defensive game plan to make any adjustments.

You say Gailey isnt the answer then give him most the credit later in your post!? Spillers fumble was costly yet Freds wasnt!? Get a clue.

We need a QB who can make a throw longer then 20yds and a D coordinator with some balls! TJ was wide open atleast 3 times, yet Fitz screws it up. Our run game sucked, imo trade Fred and feature CJ! Hes a stud! The more CJ touchs the ball the better our team is. Fred dosent win games for us like CJ has.

Our D line should have had way more pressure on Brady. Even rushing just 4 pass rushers each time, but christ make the sub par O line work a little harder and blitz a few times. They knew we wouldent blitz. Wanny needs to go, get an aggressive D coordinator to disrupt the O!

What's your point? That some teams don't have good QB's and therefore because we're not the only team it somehow is excused? Well pardon me, but that ain't the standard anymore. The good teams get the QB position right, some teams whiff, but only 1 team in the entire National Football League has failed more since 2010 on the QB position. And that's the Buffalo Bills, who now have 3 guys who are now on their 3rd team since 2009.

The standard is playoffs in 2012, not mediocrity or worse. You need a QB to get to the post-season and they should have seen this guy can't do it consistently.

Some people are very accepting of mediocrity as the norm. They have altered their mind-set to dumbing down the standard. In that way they feel much more comfortable wallowing in mediocrity. For those downtrodden and exhausted people the concept of accountability doesn't exist. It's easier for them to make excuses for a generation of ineptitude. I find that attitude simply embarrassing. Ralph Wilson finds that attitude to be a good climate for business.