A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order.....

Bill from NYC

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is Ruvell Martin coming back this week? because this club is a lot better when Ruvell is out there...

LMAO....WHY?? WHY WOULD YOU ASK THAT??? I CAN'T STOP LAUGHING!! LOL!! THANX SO MUCH ZOW2 LMAO!!

Did you see Vince Wilfork's wife? That is one seriously ugly dude, errr woman. They kept showing her texting with her big fake Jersey nails, and man haircut. Graned Wilfork is ugly , but he should be able to do better than that-Holy crap!

come on man!! To each his own!! No need to talk about his wife. She can be ugly as the night, but its obvious she loves her husband and supports him. Wth, she gives more support to her husband than the bills do each other!! What a joke.

my two cents

a. If spiller scores then chan is a genius. he would have played the best rb in the leauge and made the right call right?. but since spiller spilled the ball, chan sucks.

(stupid call btw. I think cj should have played a few downs. BUT NOT THAT PLAY. NOT UP THE MIDDLE DUMB @ CHAN)

i really think we win this game if spiller scores.

b. Everyone wants to say cj or fred shouldnt have played. but again, if they played very well, chan is a genius.

(stupid chan, couldnt you tell that cj was not cutting like he normally does, you should have played choice in the 2nd half)

c. Our defense was bad. But they were getting no rest at the end. Not totally their fault.

d. As much as I like Cj, if he's not ready to be "lightning", just rest him. At least I could tolerate another losing season with him slicing and dicing defenses towards the end of the season.

Regarding my point d. Kinda sucks that I have to settle for one player to make my season tolerable even though the end results will be a bunch of "L"s and the season is so young.

As another poster said. Damn, why cant we beat them? Jets beat them. Dolphins beat them. Once ever 48 games is not good enough.

Damn you buffalo curse.

LMAO....WHY?? WHY WOULD YOU ASK THAT??? I CAN'T STOP LAUGHING!! LOL!! THANX SO MUCH ZOW2 LMAO!

come on man!! To each his own!! No need to talk about his wife. She can be ugly as the night, but its obvious she loves her husband and supports him. Wth, she gives more support to her husband than the bills do each other!! What a joke.

I actually thought the opposite. I hate that old bald ugly stupid wilfork. i hate his last name and i hate his ugly bald lips. she's tooooo hot for that fat ugly bald and ugly ugly dumb retarded looking fart. she was texting me the whole time. i was rejecting her too. her and her ugly gump husband.

ps. dan dierdorf has a man crush for ugly bald stupid guys. "i look forward to talking with gump wilfork each time i get'

Folks tend to dismiss Bill's criticisms of Spiller because he has been a vocal opponent of the draft pick - but he's right about the Spiller fumble. Just like in the Jets game, Spiller turned the ball over at a critical time. I don't care if the dude is hurt - if he's in the game, he'd better hold onto the damn ball. It's enough already.

my two cents

a. If spiller scores then chan is a genius. he would have played the best rb in the leauge and made the right call right?. but since spiller spilled the ball, chan sucks.

(stupid call btw. I think cj should have played a few downs. BUT NOT THAT PLAY. NOT UP THE MIDDLE DUMB @ CHAN)

i really think we win this game if spiller scores.

b. Everyone wants to say cj or fred shouldnt have played. but again, if they played very well, chan is a genius.

(stupid chan, couldnt you tell that cj was not cutting like he normally does, you should have played choice in the 2nd half)

Both of these are actually correct (except maybe the genius part). Gailey saw both Jackson and Spiller work all week. He should have seen that they were not ready to go, But not only chose to play them, but also not switch to Choice once he saw the issues during the game as well. If Spiller and Jackson would have shined, that would have been interpreted as Gailey seeing they were able to play at a high enough level, as any coach at the NFL level should be able to do.

So in summary, if they played well then Gailey is not a genius, but rather a coach that can see if a player is capable of playing or not.

As it turns out, either Gailey is not capable of determining that, or was so desperate he played them anyway. You make the call.

And the Bills have been trying to maneuver for a QB since Kelly. But because the results have sucked you can't see that, let alone give them credit for trying. From Johnson/Flutie to Bledsoe to Losman to Edwards they've spend resources on the position. Big resources. 1st round resources.

I'm glad Buddy isn't going to spend big resources for the sake of spending big resources when he's not convinced there is a guy worth investing those resources in. He'll pull the trigger when he's in a position to like he has said all along.

GO BILLS!!!

Ugh. They may have "spent" first picks on QB's, but they have only drafted one since Kelly. The good ones aren't usually available by trade. The way to spend a first pick on a QB is to DRAFT the guy. The Bills have only drafted 2 QB's in the first round. One is a Hall of Famer, the other one sucked. Not a bad percentage. Keep trying!

Edited by Matthews' Bag

my two cents

Why would Someone be a "genius" for calling spiller on a 1st and goal run up the middle, when you have other bigger, healthier backs on the bench?WHen I saw him get the call I hEld my breath and a few seconds later unfortunately exhaLed with a bunch of expletives. This "and if It worked he's a genius" card is over played Around here. If it worked he would have been lucky that's all

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Folks tend to dismiss Bill's criticisms of Spiller because he has been a vocal opponent of the draft pick - but he's right about the Spiller fumble. Just like in the Jets game, Spiller turned the ball over at a critical time. I don't care if the dude is hurt - if he's in the game, he'd better hold onto the damn ball. It's enough already.

He had the ball in his left arm. Not good form. Chan made mention of Choice's good ball security after the Browns game, I think that was a message to CJ.

Ugh. They may have "spent" first picks on QB's, but they have only drafted one since Kelly. The good ones aren't usually available by trade. The way to spend a first pick on a QB is to DRAFT the guy. The Bills have only drafted 2 QB's in the first round. One is a Hall of Famer, the other one sucked. Not a bad percentage. Keep trying!

I agree that drafting one is the best way to go but they are FAR and FEW between and VERY SELDOM available in the draft as it is. Great QBs are rare. Most teams in the history of the league have NEVER had one. What is it about them NOT seeing a guy in the draft they liked enough to develop that is so hard to understand? Whether they spent those #1s on drafted QB prospects or veterans the fact remains they invested those picks in QBs that were FAR and AWAY better than anything available at the time their pick came up. It didn't work out. It happens.

The number of #1 picks spent on drafting vs. trading for their perceived franchise QB is immaterial. I don't recall them passing on ANY top rated prospects regardless. And on a team with so many needs in those years it didn't make sense to waste the pick on a guy they didn't perceive has having the tools. I'm willing to say that history has proved them right about the QBs they passed on when their turn came up.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

I agree that drafting one is the best way to go but they are FAR and FEW between and VERY SELDOM available in the draft as it is. Great QBs are rare. Most teams in the history of the league have NEVER had one. What is it about them NOT seeing a guy in the draft they liked enough to develop that is so hard to understand? Whether they spent those #1s on drafted QB prospects or veterans the fact remains they invested those picks in QBs that were FAR and AWAY better than anything available at the time their pick came up. It didn't work out. It happens.

The number of #1 picks spent on drafting vs. trading for their perceived franchise QB is immaterial. I don't recall them passing on ANY top rated prospects regardless. And on a team with so many needs in those years it didn't make sense to waste the pick on a guy they didn't perceive has having the tools. I'm willing to say that history has proved them right about the QBs they passed on when their turn came up.

GO BILLS!!!

I can give them a pass for the last couple drafts for not selecting a QB in the first, but not for all the drafts since Kelly has been gone. Only one try at drafting a 1st rounder, especially considering that a 1st round guy is the only guy they have EVER had success with (don't mention AFL days. Please.), is ridiculous. If you are satisfied with the way they have handled finding a starter (not a "franchise QB") at the most important position I think you are oblivious.

I can give them a pass for the last couple drafts for not selecting a QB in the first, but not for all the drafts since Kelly has been gone. Only one try at drafting a 1st rounder, especially considering that a 1st round guy is the only guy they have EVER had success with (don't mention AFL days. Please.), is ridiculous. If you are satisfied with the way they have handled finding a starter (not a "franchise QB") at the most important position I think you are oblivious.

I respect your opinion but I think you're misremembering the QBs that were actually available in those drafts relative to our position to draft them. The only one we had a legit shot at was Big Ben whom we tried trading up to take ahead of the Steelers but Donahoe thought the price was too high. In retrospect he would have been worth it but you know what they say about hindsight.

And if you think that it would have been wise to select one of the available QBs in the first round in those drafts since Kelly left when the Bills were on the clock, I submit you are the one who is oblivious to the situation.

Of course I'm not satisfied. How could anyone be?

GO BILLS!!!

The Patriots knew coming into the game that they would win by something like 3 TDs. They weren't even phased when they were down 21-7 and the Bills home crowd was going crazy! They just went to work and won the game.

We are now down in the Division 0-2 and as far as I'm concerned the playoffs are already out of reach.

Tomorrow is October 1st. Time to take advantage of the CNY fall weather and find better things to do on Sundays.

Wow....giving up that quick, eh?

Yes, it was a demoralizing game. Yes, the defense was pathetic. Yes, Fitz is still showing his inadequecies.

We don't think there's time to turn this around?

I guess I'll see you all back on the bandwagon. I don't know when that will be, but I'm not jumping off any time soon.

I respect your opinion but I think you're misremembering the QBs that were actually available in those drafts relative to our position to draft them. The only one we had a legit shot at was Big Ben whom we tried trading up to take ahead of the Steelers but Donahoe thought the price was too high. In retrospect he would have been worth it but you know what they say about hindsight.

And if you think that it would have been wise to select one of the available QBs in the first round in those drafts since Kelly left when the Bills were on the clock, I submit you are the one who is oblivious to the situation.

Of course I'm not satisfied. How could anyone be?

GO BILLS!!!

Well, I don't respect your opinion, because you are implying that there hasn't been a quality QB selected in any draft for the last 20 years, after the Bills have used their first round selection.

Well, I don't respect your opinion, because you are implying that there hasn't been a quality QB selected in any draft for the last 20 years, after the Bills have used their first round selection.

Now your moving the goal posts. You have been arguing that the Bills needed to draft a QB in the first round and the fact they haven't (even though JP was a 1st round pick) indicates they have neglected "the most important position" while I maintain that just because their efforts have failed, they have indeed invested 1st round assets in the position in order to address it. And while we agree that drafting one is preferable to trading for one, it's not always the better choice given who's available in the draft when you're on the clock.

Is the discussion now open to drafting a QB in any round? And is it now the last 20 years or since Kelly retired?

I've had the same discussion with other posters around here since Kelly retired. If you feel you can make a case for one of those QBs they've passed on, be my guest. It's not as though I can't be persuaded. I haven't seen a credible argument yet.

Please bear in mind other considerations the team had in each round of each draft for the last 15 years.

I'll get you started:

Tom Brady. Yeah, we should have drafted him.

GO BILLS!!!

Now your moving the goal posts. You have been arguing that the Bills needed to draft a QB in the first round and the fact they haven't (even though JP was a 1st round pick) indicates they have neglected "the most important position" while I maintain that just because their efforts have failed, they have indeed invested 1st round assets in the position in order to address it. And while we agree that drafting one is preferable to trading for one, it's not always the better choice given who's available in the draft when you're on the clock.

Is the discussion now open to drafting a QB in any round? And is it now the last 20 years or since Kelly retired?

I've had the same discussion with other posters around here since Kelly retired. If you feel you can make a case for one of those QBs they've passed on, be my guest. It's not as though I can't be persuaded. I haven't seen a credible argument yet.

Please bear in mind other considerations the team had in each round of each draft for the last 15 years.

I'll get you started:

GO BILLS!!!

Drew Brees, Joe Flacco, Russell Wilson, Christian Ponder, Blaine Gabbert, Jake Locker, Andy Dalton. All guys from the upper part of the draft that were worthy of a Bills pick.

I'll get you started:

GO BILLS!!!

> I maintain that just because their efforts have failed, they have indeed invested 1st round assets in the position in order to address it.

I maintain that the first round resources they've invested have been insufficient given the scale of the need and the magnitude of importance of the position. When they did invest significant resources, there was generally some element of short-sightedness or other avoidable error involved. As I mentioned earlier, Losman fit the profile of a first round QB bust: great physical tools, but did not prove himself as a pocket passer at the college level. Likewise, trading away a first round pick for another team's aging backup QB, as they did with Bledsoe, is typically a bad idea, for reasons I hope are obvious.

> If you feel you can make a case for one of those QBs they've passed on, be my guest.

Okay. In 2001, the Bills took Nate Clements 21st overall. Drew Brees was taken 32nd overall.

In 2004, TD tried to trade up for Roethlisberger, but balked when the price was too high. If you're convinced a guy can be your franchise QB, you shouldn't walk away because you're being slightly overcharged.

In 2005, Aaron Rodgers was taken 26th overall. Had TD not traded away the Bills' first round pick in that draft for the Losman deal, he could and should have taken Rodgers with that pick.

In 2006, Marv took Donte Whitner 8th overall, when he could have taken Cutler. Say what you will about Cutler, he was traded away for two first round picks, plus Kyle Orton, plus some other stuff. That's two more first round picks, one more Kyle Orton, and one more instance of other stuff than the Bills were awarded for Whitner's departure.

In 2008, the Bills took Leodis McKelvin 11th overall. Joe Flacco went 18th overall. Flacco is by no means a top-5 QB, but he's definitely top-15. He's also better than any Bills QB from the TD/Marv/Brandon/Nix eras.

I agree with you that opportunities to obtain great--or even good--QBs are rare. That's precisely why, when you do encounter such an opportunity, you need to jump all over it. As TD should have done with the Roethlisberger trade. (Although, on a personal level, I'd feel very uncomfortable rooting for a rapist.)

> Please bear in mind other considerations the team had in each round of each draft for the last 15 years.

Why? If you don't have a franchise QB, and if there's one available, you take him. If that means waiting a year or two to fill a hole at some other position, so be it.

Drew Brees, Joe Flacco, Russell Wilson, Christian Ponder, Blaine Gabbert, Jake Locker, Andy Dalton. All guys from the upper part of the draft that were worthy of a Bills pick.

I'll give you Flacco although he would have been scapegoated and run out of town because we didn't have the defense or OLine required to keep that team in games while he learned. But he would have been a better choice than McKelvin maybe even without the benefit of 20/20 hindsight.

Brees was simply not a logical choice at the time given our ongoing investment in Rob Johnson. GREAT hindsight pick, though.

I like Dalton's upside certainly, but I can see why Buddy chose a higher rated CB at a position of higher need at the time.

I have to laugh at the rest. Especially the three that were off the board AFTER we took Dareus and BEFORE we took A Williams. And Russell Wilson, while a compelling story, is about to lose his starting job if he doesn't have a good game against Carolina.

Just to be clear, are you suggesting the Bills should have taken any of Ponder, Gabbert, or Locker instead of Dareus? Or are you suggesting Nix is stupid for not trading assets to get back into the first round to take any of them, two of which he would have had to get back into the top 10 to select (Locker and Gabbert). That's not feasible or advisable.

I have it on pretty good authority that Chan was very high on Ponder and the Bills would have looked to take him by trading back into the LATE first round to get him. But Minny made it a moot point by selecting him way before anyone had him getting picked when they took him at 12.

So that leaves Flacco and perhaps Dalton as two woulda, shoulda, coulda hindsight picks. But I can certainly understand why they DIDN'T take either one given the state of the team at the time. Nobody had either pegged as that "10-15 year guy" that Nix has talked about so often in the past. Rest assured if/when that guy is there, Nix will take him.

GO BILLS!!!

I'll give you Flacco although he would have been scapegoated and run out of town because we didn't have the defense or OLine required to keep that team in games while he learned. But he would have been a better choice than McKelvin maybe even without the benefit of 20/20 hindsight.

Brees was simply not a logical choice at the time given our ongoing investment in Rob Johnson. GREAT hindsight pick, though.

I like Dalton's upside certainly, but I can see why Buddy chose a higher rated CB at a position of higher need at the time.

I have to laugh at the rest. Especially the three that were off the board AFTER we took Dareus and BEFORE we took A Williams. And Russell Wilson, while a compelling story, is about to lose his starting job if he doesn't have a good game against Carolina.

Just to be clear, are you suggesting the Bills should have taken any of Ponder, Gabbert, or Locker instead of Dareus? Or are you suggesting Nix is stupid for not trading assets to get back into the first round to take any of them, two of which he would have had to get back into the top 10 to select (Locker and Gabbert). That's not feasible or advisable.

I have it on pretty good authority that Chan was very high on Ponder and the Bills would have looked to take him by trading back into the LATE first round to get him. But Minny made it a moot point by selecting him way before anyone had him getting picked when they took him at 12.

So that leaves Flacco and perhaps Dalton as two woulda, shoulda, coulda hindsight picks. But I can certainly understand why they DIDN'T take either one given the state of the team at the time. Nobody had either pegged as that "10-15 year guy" that Nix has talked about so often in the past. Rest assured if/when that guy is there, Nix will take him.

GO BILLS!!!

I'm suggesting that the Bills should have made finding a suitable QB priority #1 ever since Kelly left, and that they haven't. And that if they had tried more often, but failed, I would be more understanding.

Edited by Matthews' Bag