WOW! CJ Spiller practices and expects to play

You have no real reason not to give Spiller the benefit of the doubt.

Essentially you're questioning the pain threshold (manliness) of a slender guy who excelled in college and is an emerging star running back in the NFL.

I'm gonna give Spiller the benefit of the doubt.

In my mind I do ... opinions opinions opinions. Something you offer up constantly (and often more declaratively with "you have no reason" blah blah statements), but fail to respect in others. And fyi its not necessarily questioning his pain threshold, just his reaction to the injury , which isnt necessarily pain related. The college and pro stuff doesn't matter... plenty of instances of pros questioning pros toughness and he'd also been relatively injury free at every level prior to last Sunday. Which could explain what we now know was an over reaction. Let's hope the injury free part stays that way. As for a change in your arrogant preachiness? Highly doubtful

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have no real reason not to give Spiller the benefit of the doubt.

Essentially you're questioning the pain threshold (manliness) of a slender guy who excelled in college and is an emerging star running back in the NFL.

I'm gonna give Spiller the benefit of the doubt.

In my mind I do ... opinions opinions opinions. Something you offer up constantly (and often more declaratively with "you have no reason" blah blah statements), but fail to respect in others...

Let's hope the injury free part stays that way. As for a change in your arrogant preachiness? Highly doubtful

Hmmm…. reading the two posts, one could definitely be accused of "arrogant preachiness."

And also rudeness. But by all means, continue with your humble opinions.

Can't say that he was over reacting because u don't know for sure how much pain he was in...I'm sure if he was able to play that he most certainly would have, especially when he was leading the league at rushing at the time of the injury....stingers happen

I am not sure he was over reacting. At the time of "trauma" so to speak, this injury is insanely painful, but then the pain has a way of subsiding rather quickly over a few days. Again, not diminishing the injury whatsoever because it is painful. I suspect that what increased the pain at the time of trauma was CJ getting air knocked out of him as well. Those two instances hitting at once......yeah insanely painful.

With or without CJ, I really, really like Buffalo's chances tomorrow.

In my mind I do ... opinions opinions opinions. Something you offer up constantly (and often more declaratively with "you have no reason" blah blah statements), but fail to respect in others. And fyi its not necessarily questioning his pain threshold, just his reaction to the injury , which isnt necessarily pain related. The college and pro stuff doesn't matter... plenty of instances of pros questioning pros toughness and he'd also been relatively injury free at every level prior to last Sunday. Which could explain what we now know was an over reaction. Let's hope the injury free part stays that way. As for a change in your arrogant preachiness? Highly doubtful

You don't see the difference between questioning his toughness and giving him the benefit of the doubt about how he reacted to the injury? If he was always going off the field with minor injuries or always reacting to every minor nick or bruise you might have a point. But to question a guy the first time he gets injured is a bit much. Not to mention, questioning the toughness of any NFL RB who suits up and willingly runs into a group of 300lb guys who want to drive him into the ground is ludicrous.

Nobody says you can't do it you just look bad by doing it. Of course, that's just my opinion man...

Years ago I had a similar injury ("sprung" AC joint) from an outfield collision. I later hit a home run during the game although I could not raise my arm above chest high. Point is that there are probably some arm motions that are not a problem while others might be impossible. Just a theory but it could explain how he could be practicing and thinking he could play.

It would be nice if both Spiller and Jackson were both announced to the crowd during pregame introductions.

I said earlier in the week that I suspected he'd play, after hearing he had full range of motion in his injured shoulder and just some pain and swelling. I doubt he'll be catching passes, but he can definitely run the ball.

Hate to say it but I thought he was over reacting to the injury in the first place. I'm not all that surprised he's back sooner than later. It's nfl football, everybody has something. Got to play thru it whenever possible.

I understand what you're saying, but unless you've been through it you wouldn't get it. I had the exact same injury in a high school basketball game and the best way I can explain it is it "feels" worse than it is. I thought I had really screwed something up when it happened to me.

I consider Spiller to be pretty tough personally, I know he's still got to be really sore when he rotates his shoulder the wrong way.

How can you? We're both just offering opinions

Funny, I thought he was just asking you questions. Legitimate questions.

As for opinions, no one else here seems to be second-guessing the Bill's medical staff and trainers or CJ's toughness.

That would be just be you.

Don't mind Joe. He believes that if shoulder injuries were banned legislatively, Spiller never would have gotten hurt. It's not worth trying to explain it to him. ;)

Awesome!

I defer to your superior knowledge of Joe :worthy:

Funny, I thought he was just asking you questions. Legitimate questions.

As for opinions, no one else here seems to be second-guessing the Bill's medical staff and trainers or CJ's toughness.

That would be just be you.

How is is 2nd guessing bills medical staff? They said it wasnt that serious all along.

Lol and i guess you missed the post in this thread from newera re: "I'm with you on this one joe ... ". Not that I need reinforcement just pointing out your blatant inattention to detail. I dont play the "you're alone/in the minority on this" card. Consensus doesnt mean correct. Not all that long ago the consensus thought the world was flat. Going along with the herd is often just unimaginitive, uninsightul, "safe" position taking from those lacking the ability to think for themselves or cajones to defend a minority position.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

How is is 2nd guessing bills medical staff? They said it wasnt that serious all along.

No one said it wasn't serious during the game, Joe. Think otherwise? Link or it didn't happen.

They said it wasn't serious this week, AFTER they had time to obtain diagnostic tests other than xray and physical exam (MRI, bring the swelling down and detailed ROM etc)

During the game, all they could say is it (probably) isn't broken based on the resolution of a portable locker room xray machine, which leaves a lot of scope for potential injuries that could be seriously aggravated and prolonged by further hits.

I agree with you that consensus doesn't indicate correctness, but neither are all opinions equal. What I see is you second-guessing the Bills trainers and medical staff and impugning a player's toughness based on what you see on TV, then retreating behind "we're all just offering opinions" and tossing rudeness around when others question you

Casting that as "we're all just offering opinions" is disingenuous, and the stuff about arrogance, ability to think for oneself, and cajones...... well, it speaks for itself.

Spiller was hurt so he acted hurt. No one gets your point joe. Spillers no diva who overreacted IEO is the basic thought in this thread.

I'm not a doctor but I did stay in a holiday inn.....

here's to spiller and Freddy both makin plays on Sunday.....wanna see that 1-3 record hung on the pats

@hopeless, Nope and as a matter of fact right after the game gailey was saying doesn't look all that serious, maybe a week or two out. Of course when spillers rolling around on the field and holding his arm still like a mummy staff will take all precautions. But upon examination, both preliminary and follow up, they reported it wasn't as serious as people thought per spillers reaction.

But somehow to the herd that's 2nd guessing the medical staff. Lol ok

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

All of this brings to mind a basic undergraduate misunderstanding that I try to correct every semester, so here goes:

Free speech does not mean that every opinion is equal, it means that every individual should be free to have his or her opinions subject to the same standards of logical analysis. That means opinions can be presented, and tested, and some opinions can in the end be dismissed as less logically and intellectually valid than others. Free individuals are free to be wrong, but are not exempted from being told they are wrong when they are.

FredX was cleared by the team doctors to play sunday

Running back C.J. Spiller (left shoulder) practiced for a second straight day, and is also listed questionable after he was hurt in a 24-14 win at Cleveland last weekend.

Coach Chan Gailey said both have a ''legitimate chance'' of playing, and was particularly surprised by how quickly Spiller's shoulder has improved. Spiller didn't speak to reporters except to give a thumbs-up sign when asked how he felt while making his way to the trainer's room following practice.

FredX was cleared by the team doctors to play sunday

Running back C.J. Spiller (left shoulder) practiced for a second straight day, and is also listed questionable after he was hurt in a 24-14 win at Cleveland last weekend.

Coach Chan Gailey said both have a ''legitimate chance'' of playing, and was particularly surprised by how quickly Spiller's shoulder has improved. Spiller didn't speak to reporters except to give a thumbs-up sign when asked how he felt while making his way to the trainer's room following practice.

This makes my Saturday a little brighter already. I couldn't give a rats rear about where anybody's pain tolerance is. If they are cleared by the doctors and are willing and able to play, I am happy. Now tomorrow's game looks like it will be a good battle as long as we don't turn the ball over

Classic.. have you ever had a 200lb guy land on you and sprain your shoulder? If you haven't then you have no idea how it would have felt. So I'd say your opinion is totally worthless. Glad you have one though. (an opinion)

Edited by MarkinSanDiego

I'm just trying to figure out how you know how much pain was inflicted, and how Spiller should have reacted? I'm not even defending him, I'm saying that THERE IS NO WAY OF KNOWING, so why criticize the player?

Where did I question your right to offer an opinion? I challenged the opinion you offered up, because it isn't based on anything concrete You just tossed out the opinion that Spiller is some kind of wimp, without having any way to know how severe the injury really might be.I didn't see any of his peers questioning his reaction, or any "NFL experts" calling him soft. He doesn't have a history of being injury prone, or soft. If you are going to post that kind of attack, you should have something to back it up with.

You are right though, I have judged you and concluded that you don't know what you are talking about.

both of you shut up. its not even an interesting fight. "i'm not judging you. yes you are."

I always enjoy a good fight, but this is weak.

Spiller was hurt so he acted hurt. No one gets your point joe. Spillers no diva who overreacted IEO is the basic thought in this thread.

I'm not a doctor but I did stay in a holiday inn.....

here's to spiller and Freddy both makin plays on Sunday.....wanna see that 1-3 record hung on the pats

OH YEAH THIS! Not to mention that 3-1 record hung on the Bills. GO BILLS!