Interesting Breakdown of Super Mario

Kipers Hair

I could have sworn I saw more chips and double teams in one game alone...but they are the experts right?

Not so super Mario

As has been the case through three games total, defensive end Williams is not getting the pressure the Bills paid $16 million a year for -- and it's not because opposing offenses are stacking up to block him, a ProFootballFocus.com study found. In 101 passing plays with Williams rushing, he has 1.5 sacks (PFF disputes the half-sack, claiming the sack should belong solely to tackle Marcel Dareus), with one additional quarterback hit and six pressures.

In three games, he has been double-team-blocked on four of the 101 passing plays, and chip-blocked (another blocker, a tight end or running back usually, helping momentarily while performing another task) another seven times. That means, according to PFF, that on 11 of 101 pass plays (11 percent), teams have devoted more than one blocker to Williams, at least for a short time with a chip.

Williams, at 292 pounds, has never been a cat-quick rusher, and therefore not likely to get as many sacks as a quicker rusher such as DeMarcus Ware. That's bearing out this season. For the Bills to get their money's worth, he has to hit the quarterback much more often. And for that to happen, he has to vary his rush technique but always rely the most on power. "When I looked out there,'' said coach Chan Gailey said in the wake of Sunday's Buffalo victory at Cleveland, "Mario went to the power rush, and that's what he's good at.'' Gailey's right: When in doubt, bull-rush.

In three games now on 101 passing plays, Williams has picked up:

• 1.5 sacks (adjusted to reflect NFL stats).

• 1 hit.

• 6 quarterback hurries.

He simply has to do more.

Read more: http://sportsillustr...l#ixzz27ms50Y00

Read more: http://sportsillustr...l#ixzz27mrx4HHh

Edited by Kipers Hair

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like how all these experts dismiss the effect Mario is having on the D-line as a whole. We were close to last in the league in sacks last year with half of this line. Now we add Mario and Mark and we're 6th in the league in the same category.

It's too early to base things on stats and rankings, but the eyeball test tells us that this is a much improved unit.

Edited by No Cease Fires

Three games is a really small sample. Sacks tend to happen in streaks. Bruce Smith had consecutive games with no sacks and then consecutive games with multiple sacks. If you judged Bruce on a sub-par three game streak, he wouldn't be in the HOF. I'm not worried about Mario, yet.

Mario isn't getting double-teamed either because (1) teams don't have that much respect for him, or (2) teams are forced to double-team other players. I suspect, given Mario's history, it's more #2 than #1.

I could have sworn I saw more chips and double teams in one game alone...but they are the experts right?

Not so super Mario

As has been the case through three games total, defensive end Williams is not getting the pressure the Bills paid $16 million a year for -- and it's not because opposing offenses are stacking up to block him, a ProFootballFocus.com study found. In 101 passing plays with Williams rushing, he has 1.5 sacks (PFF disputes the half-sack, claiming the sack should belong solely to tackle Marcel Dareus), with one additional quarterback hit and six pressures.

In three games, he has been double-team-blocked on four of the 101 passing plays, and chip-blocked (another blocker, a tight end or running back usually, helping momentarily while performing another task) another seven times. That means, according to PFF, that on 11 of 101 pass plays (11 percent), teams have devoted more than one blocker to Williams, at least for a short time with a chip.

Williams, at 292 pounds, has never been a cat-quick rusher, and therefore not likely to get as many sacks as a quicker rusher such as DeMarcus Ware. That's bearing out this season. For the Bills to get their money's worth, he has to hit the quarterback much more often. And for that to happen, he has to vary his rush technique but always rely the most on power. "When I looked out there,'' said coach Chan Gailey said in the wake of Sunday's Buffalo victory at Cleveland, "Mario went to the power rush, and that's what he's good at.'' Gailey's right: When in doubt, bull-rush.

In three games now on 101 passing plays, Williams has picked up:

• 1.5 sacks (adjusted to reflect NFL stats).

• 1 hit.

• 6 quarterback hurries.

He simply has to do more.

Read more: http://sportsillustr...l#ixzz27ms50Y00

Read more: http://sportsillustr...l#ixzz27mrx4HHh

Send Moats or Scott up the middle to get after the QB

Its also way too early to draw conclusions given that the Bills opponents have been some pretty poor teams thus far this season. Of course this factoid des not bode well for a negative assessment of Mario, but the simple fact is that it is too early to tell anything in terms of trends.

Its also way too early to draw conclusions given that the Bills opponents have been some pretty poor teams thus far this season. Of course this factoid des not bode well for a negative assessment of Mario, but the simple fact is that it is too early to tell anything in terms of trends.

The teams we have faced have all had decent olines..

The Browns have a solid O Line.. they only gave up 2 sacks to the Eagles, 2 sacks to the Bengals 1 sack to the Ravens but we got 4 sacks..

KC gave up 3 sacks to the Falcons, 3 to the Saints, we got 5 sacks.

We had a terrible game vs the Jets and got a goose egg..

I'm just re watching the Browns game now... In the first half alone. 2 chip blocks and 2 double teams so far....

Why do I doubt those numbers by PFF?

Probably because they wrote the article and drew their conclusion before they watched any of the film.

Not to mention, they're still waiting for Mario to sign with the Bears.