Winslow honorably discharged by pats

NoSaint

I love how people bash him like he is some villian. OMG, he called himself a soldier when he was in college!!! A former coach of mine was a paratrooper in the army and said football is the closet thing to an actual battle. Winslow is fighting through awful knees to try and continue his career. A lot of rich kids become bums. The guy was a pro bowl level NFL player. How does that make him a spoiled brat?

closest thing is not the same thing. The soldiers fight for the country.

I love how people bash him like he is some villian. OMG, he called himself a soldier when he was in college!!! A former coach of mine was a paratrooper in the army and said football is the closet thing to an actual battle. Winslow is fighting through awful knees to try and continue his career. A lot of rich kids become bums. The guy was a pro bowl level NFL player. How does that make him a spoiled brat?

Going off topic but that is nonsense. Nothing can be close to actual combat where your lives really are at risk. The worst in football is attempted injury which gets coaches and players in a whole lot of trouble. Quite different from opposition forces trying to take your head off.

Edited by Fan in Chicago

Going off topic but that is nonsense. Nothing can be close to actual combat where your lives really are at risk. The worst in football is attempted injury which gets coaches and players in a whole lot of trouble. Quite different from opposition forces trying to take your head off.

Yeah. As a former soldier, I don't see many similarities between being football and combat. Going to an away game is not quite like going to a foreign land and wondering if you'll bleed out in the sands and never see your loved ones again.

Yeah. As a former soldier, I don't see many similarities between being football and combat. Going to an away game is not quite like going to a foreign land and wondering if you'll bleed out in the sands and never see your loved ones again.

i hate to get side tracked, but i think his point was its the closest most non-soldiers will come

theres really not a lot of careers or hobbies that people can participate in with the "us vs them" element and threat of injury, violence, a battle etc....

giving him the benefit of the doubt - i dont think he was calling it apples to apples, just that its the closest you can come on US soil these days (not that its all that close).

Edited by NoSaint

He is a spoiled brat, and they probably weren't kowtowing to the self-proclaimed "Chosen One".

No doubt someone here will say "the Bills should bring him in. What do they have to lose?" or "If we sign him now, he will really want to get back at the Pats".

Don't forget "Ralph is cheap" and "Buddy's asleep."

i hate to get side tracked, but i think his point was its the closest most non-soldiers will come

theres really not a lot of careers or hobbies that people can participate in with the "us vs them" element and threat of injury, violence, a battle etc....

giving him the benefit of the doubt - i dont think he was calling it apples to apples, just that its the closest you can come on US soil these days (not that its all that close).

I'm not criticizing anyone for the comparison. I actually had a friend who, when at West Point, wrote a paper comparing combat to football. Both talk about attack and defense, capturing territory, weapons, etc. Needless to say, Winslow is hardly to first to use warrior/military terminology when talking football. It's used all the time.

My point was only that experientially they are very different.

Well duh. But he was a paratrooper and he made the statement. Football is extremely dangerous and in ways, it does take years off your life. It is probably the closest thing to combat.

And I salute all soldiers for their service. They are amazing. But let's not pretend some of those soldiers wouldn't have given up servicing the country if they got a football scholarship in a second. Unfortunately, we have people who only enter the service because they have no other options. That's why the PAt Tillman thing was so amazing.

Thank you.

Edited by C.Biscuit97

Winslow wanted more playing time....

On Friday, coach Bill Belichick told the media during a press conference that Winslow was cut for “personal reasons.”

“Yesterday I had a discussion with Kellen and at the end of that discussion, we talked about several different things, at the end of that discussion, I felt that it was best that we release Kellen for personal reasons so that’s what we did,” Belichick said in comments distributed by the team.

So the “personal reasons” apparently were that Winslow is personally looking for more playing time. It’ll be interesting to see whether he gets that opportunity elsewhere.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/28/winslow-wanted-more-playing-time/