#BillsMafia getting some press....

The Poojer

We keep to ourselves on the board. We do not seek out or provoke others, troll or try to cause an uprising. We do not stick behind anonymous and random names on a social media site to disturb others who do not agree with us. The premise of this site is not that at all.

Bills Mafia, besides the silly name, is just silly. It's great Bills fans can unite, but it's just different.

You couldn't be more inaccurate.

1. The purpose isn't to provoke others or troll. It started because Schefter was trashing the Bills. Much like how this board responds when a media member goes out of their way to bash the Bills. You make it sound like the whole purpose is to attack media members, which couldn't be farther from the truth. Now, as was mentioned, its a good way to find and interact with other bills fans on twitter, and get a pulse of what people are feeling. Search the hashtag.

2. No random, anonymous names? Seriously? You think my name is Ramius?

3. Why is the premise (name aside) silly? Discussing the bills with other fans over twitter is silly, but discussing the Bills on a message board is a-ok? You use the #Billsmafia hashtag as a search tool to find other Bills fans you can interact with. Its a simple way for a fanbase to identify themselves. I find it hilarious that it gets so many of you in an uproar. Bunch of cranky old men shaking their fist at the "new-fangled" technology.

Who implied that was cool too?

Won't kill it because of good intentions but I also cringe when I hear it for the same reasons - primarily the trying too hard factor. Count me out on this one but more power to those that are doing it, no harm to me.

What exactly is trying too hard? Using a hashtag to identify yourself on an otherwise anonymous social media site? Putting a logo on your twitter avatar so you can proudly show off your team allegiance? I simply don't understand the "hate" of it, especially given that we are all engaging in the same activity on a message board.

Edited by Ramius

You couldn't be more inaccurate.

1. The purpose isn't to provoke others or troll. It started because Schefter was trashing the Bills. Much like how this board responds when a media member goes out of their way to bash the Bills. You make it sound like the whole purpose is to attack media members, which couldn't be farther from the truth. Now, as was mentioned, its a good way to find and interact with other bills fans on twitter, and get a pulse of what people are feeling. Search the hashtag.

2. No random, anonymous names? Seriously? You think my name is Ramius?

3. Why is the premise (name aside) silly? Discussing the bills with other fans over twitter is silly, but discussing the Bills on a message board is a-ok? You use the #Billsmafia hashtag as a search tool to find other Bills fans you can interact with. Its a simple way for a fanbase to identify themselves. I find it hilarious that it gets so many of you in an uproar. Bunch of cranky old men shaking their fist at the "new-fangled" technology.

What exactly is trying too hard? Using a hashtag to identify yourself on an otherwise anonymous social media site? Putting a logo on your twitter avatar so you can proudly show off your team allegiance? I simply don't understand the "hate" of it, especially given that we are all engaging in the same activity on a message board.

Ready - it'll blow your mind....

#billsbacker

#buffalobills

Or any number of others.

What does forcing some random mafia theme accomplish? It just comes across as a bunch of 18 year olds that were watching scarface while tweeting about the bills drunk. I dig the intentions and good cause, it just sounds cheesy, and forced.

Why the mafia theme, my OG friend?

I hate to put down other Bills fans in their support for our team, but does #BillsMafia make anyone else cringe when the hear or see it? I know I do.

a few moons ago i commented that the mafia moniker was extremely cheesy and forced. said mafia was quite offended.

do they do some cool stuff? Sure. But the name is absolutely cringe worthy

Edited by FluffHead

pretty impressive...Bills fans certainly seem to be a viable group! Hammer gets a nice mention as well!!!!

http://www.huffingto...l?utm_hp_ref=tw

Yep, the Bills Mafia will have a tailgate party @ Hammer's Lot this Sunday and will have some nice auction stuff benefiting Roswell Cancer Park. Stop by and bid on some great prizes.

Edited by Hammered a Lot

#billsbacker

#buffalobills

Or any number of others.

What does forcing some random mafia theme accomplish? It just comes across as a bunch of 18 year olds that were watching scarface while tweeting about the bills drunk. I dig the intentions and good cause, it just sounds cheesy, and forced.

+1

ZOMG. They used Mafia. Howz politically incorrect they are. ZOMG these people should be in jails for using a word that is associated with crimzzez. Why could they use more appropriate names like Bills fluffy bears or Bills Bunny bunny puss puss.

Me thinks people need to relax. I don't see why this is a big deal.

ZOMG. They used Mafia. Howz politically incorrect they are. ZOMG these people should be in jails for using a word that is associated with crimzzez. Why could they use more appropriate names like Bills fluffy bears or Bills Bunny bunny puss puss.

To many Fireman Ed = Bills Mafia. Same sort of idea.

I think you are officially the first to make a big deal.

Relax.

I think you are officially the first to make a big deal.

Relax.

I think you missed my sarcasm?

To many Fireman Ed = Bills Mafia. Same sort of idea.

I have no problem with it. The players can associate with it and have fun with it. Youngers players can relate and help create a good atmosephere with it. I say more power to them. I probably wont take part in any of it, but have no problem if people want to

I think you missed my sarcasm?

I have no problem with it. The players can associate with it and have fun with it. Youngers players can relate and help create a good atmosephere with it. I say more power to them. I probably wont take part in any of it, but have no problem if people want to

I took it as sarcastically exaggerated, but still actually being upset that people didn't like the mafia name. Ie saying that's what we sound like if we think its silly.

Edited by NoSaint

This is exactly the type of unfunny, acronym ridden response that I associate with #billsmafia. Thank you for so eloquently stating my point.

"Ridden"? There was one acronym. I'm going to guess your house isn't dictionary-ridden. Besides, Twitter has character limits, so one would expect more acronyms abbreviations, etc. But hey all these "+1" responses are really adding to the level of discourse and in no way should be defamed.

Now don't you have some ruffians that need chasing off your lawn?

Long-time lurker here, but first time poster. Had to chime in on this one, as I think a lot of the responses to this are ridiculous.

There seems to be a lot of "old school" posters on here who have no idea how social media has integrated itself into professional sports. Boo hoo. You hate the name billsmafia. Who cares? It's something that unites the fans and the players and helps us show our love and pride for our Bills, something that half this board has a very hard time doing. It's a fun thing that actually does some good for the community and is something a lot of the players get into. How lame :wallbash:

Long-time lurker here, but first time poster. Had to chime in on this one, as I think a lot of the responses to this are ridiculous.

There seems to be a lot of "old school" posters on here who have no idea how social media has integrated itself into professional sports. Boo hoo. You hate the name billsmafia. Who cares? It's something that unites the fans and the players and helps us show our love and pride for our Bills, something that half this board has a very hard time doing. It's a fun thing that actually does some good for the community and is something a lot of the players get into. How lame :wallbash:

so if we think the mafia and OG references have little or no connection to our fan base or history, we dont get social media?

if it was the #RamsMafia or #SeahawksMafia you would certainly think it was a bit forced, regardless of platform - no?

Like almost all on this side of the fence have said: More power to you if you identify with it. Its a good cause, and no shame in having some fun along the way. Theres just an element to it that rubs me the same way as the threads here that are "lets make up a nickname for player XYZ." And then we get all these arbitrary suggestions that have nothing to do with the player at all, but they sure do "sound cool."

so if we think the mafia and OG references have little or no connection to our fan base or history, we dont get social media?

if it was the #RamsMafia or #SeahawksMafia you would certainly think it was a bit forced, regardless of platform - no?

Like almost all on this side of the fence have said: More power to you if you identify with it. Its a good cause, and no shame in having some fun along the way. Theres just an element to it that rubs me the same way as the threads here that are "lets make up a nickname for player XYZ." And then we get all these arbitrary suggestions that have nothing to do with the player at all, but they sure do "sound cool."

The nickname stuff for players I agree is stupid. But no, I don't think billsmafia seems forced. In my mind, I think of a mafia (disregarding the criminal aspect) as a group of people that takes over - whether it be a block, a town, a whatever. I think billsmafia is a fun way to say we Bills fans are coming together and we are taking over. It's honestly just a harmless thing that people (fans and players) are having fun with, so why do people feel the need to come on a message board and rain on fellow fans' parades?

The nickname stuff for players I agree is stupid. But no, I don't think billsmafia seems forced. In my mind, I think of a mafia (disregarding the criminal aspect) as a group of people that takes over - whether it be a block, a town, a whatever. I think billsmafia is a fun way to say we Bills fans are coming together and we are taking over. It's honestly just a harmless thing that people (fans and players) are having fun with, so why do people feel the need to come on a message board and rain on fellow fans' parades?

no ones raining on your parade. people asked in a single thread if anyone else thought it a bit strange and others answered yes. nothing more.

its not like there are tons of threads attacking it and mocking it whenever you come on here.

for mafia members, yall sure are sensitive!

#billsbacker

#buffalobills

Or any number of others.

I'm not an OG. If you don't believe me, PM me and i'll pass along my twitter handle and you can check for yourself. And the guys/girls that formed it are hardly 18 year old kids.

There's no forced element to mafia at all. It takes nothing of the negative connotations of mafia, but rather the implication that bills fans are one giant "family" that has each others backs when an outsider (like the national media) takes cheap pot shots at the Bills. Its a banner for bills fans to stand up for one another and the fanbase and team as a whole. I don't see anything "forced" or 'contrived" about the name. You act like it was a bunch of kids thinking up names to call themselves, which it wasn't.

Furthermore, i've used the Billsmafia hashtag to have conversations with AJ Williams, Nick Barnett, David Nelson, Freddie Jackson and CJ Spiller. Its a great tool for fans to interact with the players, especially when the players have bought into it.

I just find the staunch opposition to it laughable, seeing how we here on this board are doing the exact same thing, except we use the "TwoBillsDrive" banner. Perhaps its a bit of jealousy because billsmafia has gotten recognition from the local press, ESPN, and the NFL network as well? If you don't like it, don't use it on twitter. But there's no reason to trash it or those that do use it.

Edit: just for comparison, there are 13,000 registered members to this site, and close to 9,000 registered members of the #Billsmafia. So its hardly just a small group trying to "make a name" for themselves.

Edited by Ramius

I'm not an OG. If you don't believe me, PM me and i'll pass along my twitter handle and you can check for yourself. And the guys/girls that formed it are hardly 18 year old kids.

There's no forced element to mafia at all. It takes nothing of the negative connotations of mafia, but rather the implication that bills fans are one giant "family" that has each others backs when an outsider (like the national media) takes cheap pot shots at the Bills. Its a banner for bills fans to stand up for one another and the fanbase and team as a whole. I don't see anything "forced" or 'contrived" about the name. You act like it was a bunch of kids thinking up names to call themselves, which it wasn't.

Furthermore, i've used the Billsmafia hashtag to have conversations with AJ Williams, Nick Barnett, David Nelson, Freddie Jackson and CJ Spiller. Its a great tool for fans to interact with the players, especially when the players have bought into it.

I just find the staunch opposition to it laughable, seeing how we here on this board are doing the exact same thing, except we use the "TwoBillsDrive" banner. Perhaps its a bit of jealousy because billsmafia has gotten recognition from the local press, ESPN, and the NFL network as well? If you don't like it, don't use it on twitter. But there's no reason to trash it or those that do use it.

Edit: just for comparison, there are 13,000 registered members to this site, and close to 9,000 registered members of the #Billsmafia. So its hardly just a small group trying to "make a name" for themselves.

#notmything #nobigdeal

#BillsMafiaMembersShouldChill

I don't get why y'all act like its such a big deal that people think its a lame name. I get what it is, I know they aren't 18, that doesn't make it cooler to me. The OG reference truly wasn't even meant to you, it was just to show why people think its a bit of nonsense. Like I said, I'd laugh at #seahawksmafia so by proxy I probably shouldn't rep bills mafia.

Go enjoy your thing, no ones taking it away from you

#notmything #nobigdeal

#BillsMafiaMembersShouldChill

I don't get why y'all act like its such a big deal that people think its a lame name. I get what it is, I know they aren't 18, that doesn't make it cooler to me. The OG reference truly wasn't even meant to you, it was just to show why people think its a bit of nonsense. Like I said, I'd laugh at #seahawksmafia so by proxy I probably shouldn't rep bills mafia.

Go enjoy your thing, no ones taking it away from you

Because people like you insist on belaboring the point that you think the name is lame. You gone to great lengths to bash the name for no good reason at all. If it doesn't bother you, then why continually bash it?

I have used #BillsMafia in several of my Bills related tweets. I've also exchanged kind words with @mrdeadlier and other #BillsMafia members. I've had nothing but kind exchanges and light hearted fun.

I, however, can't say the same for this site. I still love this site. I will always visit this site and will always post here. I have a great deal of respect for MOST of the posters on this board. Bit quite frankly some of you are complete aholes.

#BillsMafia and twobillsdrive.com are the same thing, on a different media format. It's a social media website that Bills fans can interact with eachother. No one is forced to add #BillsMafia to their tweets. It's just an easier way for fellow Bills fans and football fans in general to talk Bills.

I'm glad to see the balance of this even out a bit. I don't "tweet" much but I read twitter a bunch. I've interacted with some of the guys and they have been nothing but nice and friendly. Had a back and forth with Luke Russert because of it. I am in the minority that sort of like Schefter, but it was pretty funny that he got his panties in a bunch over a few people teasing him.

Schefter was the one who gave them the name.

He asked 'what are you guys the Bills Mafia or somthing' in one of his responses. That is how it originated. Just to be clear.

Because people like you insist on belaboring the point that you think the name is lame. You gone to great lengths to bash the name for no good reason at all. If it doesn't bother you, then why continually bash it?

Someone asked if it rubbed anyone else funny.

Many said yea.

Many said "I don't get it, why?" Others said "no you're wrong"

I've replied several times saying go for it, it's not my thing, for the reasons I said.

I don't have to like it and that doesn't mean I'm somehow bashing you. Lots of popular things hold no appeal to me. No problem. The quit bashing us stuff is getting to be another thing that frustrates me. Just cause something sounds silly to me doesn't mean I'm bashing you. I've said about a dozen times that its a good cause and more power to you guys, I just wouldn't say I'm in the bills mafia. I simply identify as a bills fan. If I ever start the "bills mafia is trash" thread - come at me for bashing. My lack of using a hash tag or some minor verbiage because of how it sounds in my head shouldn't upset you.

We're all #billsfans

I've followed a couple of the #BillsMafia people on Twitter, and they have followed me back. They seem alright to me.

And I've been here going on 10 years. Although I have taken a couple of sabbaticals, I always feel like I can come back. The posts here are insightful, and often good for a laugh or two.

Edited by TheFourHorsemen