The Rochester D&C => Pathetic!

CSBill

Someone at the Rochester D&C has apparently misunderstood what the WWW is all about and is now in some misguided and sadistic attempt to capitalize on the well known toxic addictions of the Buffalo Bills fans -- it now seems as though we out of town'ers, have to pay a subscription to get access to their articles.

NEVER!!!

Its time to fight this money grab, please do three things, if you would . . .

1) Can someone who has access (if its free), copy and paste the articles into TBD, so the rest of the world can share in the brilliance of the R D&C sports columnists.

2) For everyone else - boycott this tyrrany! PLEASE DO NOT succumb to this capitalist takeover attempt of the internet.

3) Write them a note telling them what you think of their stunt.

Time to stand up and and be counted Bills fans!

And, have a good day . . . because the Bills won! Even the R D&C cannot rob me of that joy.

Well they could just go out of business instead! Sounds like that would make you happy.

Why not just PAY for the paper. And if you're out of town, then all the more reason to buy the online subscription. Why should reading it online be free when you have to buy the paper edition. Hey no one is forcing you to buy it, but if you don't, then stop complaining. How do you expect them to survive if they give away their product.

With all the articles available for free, I can't believe that not reading the D&C article would make a differecne anyway as there are so many others ot read.

And BTW, I'm out of town myself.

Someone at the Rochester D&C has apparently misunderstood what the WWW is all about and is now in some misguided and sadistic attempt to capitalize on the well known toxic addictions of the Buffalo Bills fans -- it now seems as though we out of town'ers, have to pay a subscription to get access to their articles.

NEVER!!!

1) Can someone who has access (if its free), copy and paste the articles into TBD, so the rest of the world can share in the brilliance of the R D&C sports columnists.

2) For everyone else - boycott this tyrrany! PLEASE DO NOT succumb to this capitalist takeover attempt of the internet.

And, have a good day . . . because the Bills won! Even the R D&C cannot rob me of that joy.

What are you going to do when the Buffalo News turns into a pay site on October 1st?

NEVER!!!

Use Google Chrome, open Incognito window. You can view all the articles you want because it won't recognize your IP address. Problem solved.

NEVER!!!

Hmmmmmm. Just what, in its current form, do you think the internet is about? Hint: Capitalism, hence all the annoying advertisements.

Newspapers all over the country are shutting down due to lack of subscriptions, because people can and do prefer to read their news on the internet over waiting for the newspaper to be delivered.

Personally, I think asking people to pay for articles is a wrong way to go. There's enough news online that people simply go elsewhere, and the papers haven't done enough to differentiate the quality and information content of their product from that of all the bloggers/fansites writing articles. Too often they're just a dude with an opinion and sometimes the bloggers have better, more informed opinions (Brian Galiford would be a prime example of this). I think selling web advertisement is a better way, but papers are lagging behind fansites and bloggers in marketing themselves. Ultimately, what people would pay for I think, is an advertisment-free news service that can be customized to their interests and that is differentiated in quality and reliability of information content from the blogosphere, but newspapers haven't figured out how to fill that niche.

Be that as it may, I guess fundamentally I'm uncertain about the basis for your indignation and objection. Are you arguing its inappropriate that the D&C should try to stay in business?

I believe to cut and paste entire articles here would be a violation of the TOS as well as applicable copyright law

Edited by Hopeful

Off-topic: The 15-year experiment of "make-all-news-free-and-ad-supported" has been one of the single most destructive, damaging experiments in the recent history of journalism. That move (along with the decline of revenues from the classifieds) has led to more consolidation and cost-cutting which, in turn, has resulted in massive decline in quality - especially in local coverage. Anyone who is really interested in this topic should listen to David Simon ("The Wire") lecture on this.

I'm no Mr. Burns, but a good paper - whether it's delivered online or at your door - is worth a few bucks a week. Thank goodness papers are starting to attempt to reverse this disaster.

Newspapers that charge immediately lose my attention, but it makes sense their doing so. Local newspapers are like the NHL, they have a diehard customer base that will walk through hell for them and are casually enjoyed by people like me who occasionally stumble on an article or two that are interesting, but don't give damn about whether they exist or not. This is why, like hockey they can overcharge for their services...in this sense they also are like pay per view events. Unlike PPV and hockey though, the vast majority of newsprint supporters are over the age of fifty and dying off. When the generation that was born in the 60s is gone, local newspapers will be too.

Paysites for news... they just don't get it... NEVER will I pay for news.... if they go under its their own dang fault! I get plenty of free news just how I like it - without paying some site a fee just for being out of town! Quality? From the D&C? No better than anywhere else on the net! I have no idea what they think I would actually pay for, but I do know that their advertisers are loosing my pageviews... and that means LESS revenue for the D&C...

Its their choice to put themselves out of business I guess!

Thankfully the D & C is a rag and a mediocre one at that so I won't miss their coverage.

This allows many to actually skirt the issue at hand. As pointed out, the issue becomes more problematic when the Buffalo News follows suit which will happen shortly.

I used to climb power poles to pirate cable when I was younger… but I doubt if I'll attempt to pirate the Buffalo News content. I might just end up paying as it's the right thing to do. I really enjoy the Press Coverage blog of which Tim Graham and Mark Gaughan are the primary contributors.

We will all do what we will all do. The subscription is cheap. If the value is there you should pay for it but to each his/her own.

No

I believe to cut and paste entire articles here would be a violation of the TOS as well as applicable copyright law

Correct

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by TBD.