Icing the kicker

It's a coach CYA move. I don't think there's really any evidence that it has an impact on the game one way or the other, but if you don't ice the kicker and he makes it, you will be fielding a lot of annoying postgame questions. It is one of the most irritating (non-)plays in football, though. Wouldn't mind seeing the ability for coaches to call timeout removed, which is the only way I can think of to get rid of this move.

It's a coach CYA move. I don't think there's really any evidence that it has an impact on the game one way or the other, but if you don't ice the kicker and he makes it, you will be fielding a lot of annoying postgame questions. It is one of the most irritating (non-)plays in football, though. Wouldn't mind seeing the ability for coaches to call timeout removed, which is the only way I can think of to get rid of this move.

It's likely less about the actual timeout and more about the "will they" factor. Id imagine not having a blatant tendency is the only way that you have any advantage in that situation - which means you have to call it sometimes.

Cant believe we lost to the Jets, those guys are terrible, we must have gotten our blowout game early.

The leagues so close. A couple lucky bounces, calls, or close your eyes and hope you make it plays and suddenly anyone can win huge. Even just a player or two that happens to matchup well