Blitzing, press coverage, and throwing deep

They were definitely absent from this game and quite possibly the other two games.

Blitzing- I have not seen much blitzing. Did I not notice the blitz or was it actually non-existent? It seemed that they almost always rushed 4, if not 3, and only sometimes rushed 5. Also, is this a bad thing or a good thing? On one hand, we aren't blitzing; on the other hand, we still got 4 sacks and 2 INT. What would that stat be if we did blitz?

Press Coverage- I saw a lot of cushion between the WR and the DB. There seemed to be a lot of curl and slant routes that were completed due to this coverage when the Browns were rolling in the middle parts of the game. Is there a reason we aren't playing press.

If we blitz and play press coverage, wouldn't that improve our defense? Is there a reason we aren't doing these things? If we don't fix these things, will next weeks game be a long one?

Throwing deep- I am confident we have not throw one deep ball all year. It would be nice to see one of these at least once or twice a game. If we actually complete these deep passes, God forbid Fitz actually do so, it would certainly open up the field.

Also, not to turn this thread into a wildcat thread, still not any tape of us throwing the ball in this formation this year. There's no threat of the throw if there hasn't been a throw in a year.

Wanny does not blitz. I don't know why people still don't understand this. Wanny's defense is based on front 4 pressure. He'll occasionally throw a 5th guy at the QB but that's it. It's up to the front 4 to make plays.

Also, it's getting real old when people in the chat are calling for all out blitzes when it's 3rd and 20 with the ball in the opponent's own territory. Just stop.

Aaron Williams had a good game. I saw him playing physical and pressing. Gilmore is hit and miss with this right now. He needs to be up in the WR's face more.

Wanny does not blitz. I don't know why people still don't understand this. Wanny's defense is based on front 4 pressure. He'll occasionally throw a 5th guy at the QB but that's it. It's up to the front 4 to make plays.

Also, it's getting real old when people in the chat are calling for all out blitzes when it's 3rd and 20 with the ball in the opponent's own territory. Just stop.

Aaron Williams had a good game. I saw him playing physical and pressing. Gilmore is hit and miss with this right now. He needs to be up in the WR's face more.

I think that a lot of fans don't fully grasp the risk vs. reward nature of a blitz. You always sacrifice a measure of coverage.

Exactly.

Why blitz if you don't need to. Some fans need to realize, no defense will ever get a sack every time a QB drops back. But man some people just expect it every time.

I want them to blitz more, too. I think they should play press coverage more. I also think they should throw more deep. But you play the team you play. You do each game what is best to beat the team you play by one point. Just because you do something one game, especially against the Browns, doesn't mean you are going to do the same thing the next game. The idea is to win, not to get stats. It's hard to argue with a ten point win on the road with the Spiller injury when it looked like a blowout before he got hurt.

I understand the idea that you cannot win on a consistent basis without certain strengths. But the team isn't trying to do certain things in games like this. They are trying to win. And they did.

You blitz because a good qb will pick you apart, regarless of the coverage if they have enough time. We made Sanchez look like a pro-bowler in week 1 and then looked good against two week teams.

I'll eat crow if this defense continues to shut down the passing game against Brady, Schaub, and Smith.

And personally, I'm not calling for an all out blitz, I'm asking for a 5th guy behind Mario or Kyle. That still gives you a safety deep

I think some of the inexperience in DBs and LBs has cut down blitzing - inexperienced players have trouble making adjustments when one of the players blitzes. They have done some of the Dick Jauron overload plays where DE drops in coverage (Denney used to do that fairly often) and overload other side w/LB - same number of players rushing but attempting to overload blockers.

Tampon Two is hard to throw deep against. It is designed to give up the underneath stuff and wait for the offense to make a mistake. Bills attacked it well. If they play two deep that means there are only 7 in the box and that is a win for our offensive line and run game.

Agree. Jauron's D is bend but don't break - you don't throw deep into it.

You blitz because a good qb will pick you apart, regarless of the coverage if they have enough time. We made Sanchez look like a pro-bowler in week 1 and then looked good against two week teams.

Good QB's beat you if you blitz as well. Peyton Manning has made a living beating teams on the hot read, aka the receiver not being covered due to a blitz. These usually end up as 6 points.

Good QB's beat you if you blitz as well. Peyton Manning has made a living beating teams on the hot read, aka the receiver not being covered due to a blitz. These usually end up as 6 points.

Good qbs can beat you either way. Blitz of no blitz. IMO, the key is to switch it up some and not keep the QB guessing. If we rush 4 90% of the time, it's to the QBs advantage. Mixing in the blitz is extremely important, especially when we have Arthur Moats and Kelvin Sheppard in coverage.

Good qbs can beat you either way. Blitz of no blitz. IMO, the key is to switch it up some and not keep the QB guessing. If we rush 4 90% of the time, it's to the QBs advantage. Mixing in the blitz is extremely important, especially when we have Arthur Moats and Kelvin Sheppard in coverage.

Agreed. I'd send one or both about half the time but Wanny doesnt seem to concur,

I think some of the inexperience in DBs and LBs has cut down blitzing - inexperienced players have trouble making adjustments when one of the players blitzes. They have done some of the Dick Jauron overload plays where DE drops in coverage (Denney used to do that fairly often) and overload other side w/LB - same number of players rushing but attempting to overload blockers.

That's not a Dick Jauron innovation; it's a Dick LeBeau innovation.

Rule of thumb is not to blitz if you don't need to. We've sacked the QB nine times over the last two games using a standard 4-man rush (primarily...Sheppard got one on a blitz package).

I think that a lot of fans don't fully grasp the risk vs. reward nature of a blitz. You always sacrifice a measure of coverage.

And some fans (and obviously our DC) don't realize when you can't get any pressure rushing 3 or 4 guys, it's time to switch it up and make adjustments. At halftime, the pats made adjustments. Easy adjustments to make when you know exactly what the defense is going to do. I'll say it over and over. You have to diversify plays. Offensively and defensively. Draw up the same play over and over and the opposition will catch on and counter it if they're good enough. It may work vs the Browns and the chiefs, but its going to bite you in the butt vs the good teams.

Hopefully stache wakes up. I can't handle watching second halves like that many more times.