Wes Welker on the trading block?

Buffalo 66

"as for winning a championship with NE, those days are gone"

Is there another way to interpret this? Please, do enlighten me.

Let's see. There are 32 teams in the NFL. Only one wins. I'm saying the Pats are not going to be that team. How that translates to "firmly at the bottom of the league" is anyone's guess.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Worth a third round pick?

I don't think so. He is a product of that system if there ever was one. Although, with our quarterback, all he can really do is dink and dunk which is what he has excelled at in New England, so who knows. I give a 5th rounder for him, considering he would be a half of a season rental.

Let's see. There are 32 teams in the NFL. Only one wins. I'm saying the Pats are not going to be that team. How that translates to "firmly at the bottom of the league" is anyone's guess.

Oh, didn't realize you already know the future. My bad.

Three games into this season, with the parity in the league these days I think there's a dozen teams that have a good shot at the championship. Including last year's AFC champs. The only teams that definitely are not in the running are the ones firmly at the bottom of the league.

Oh, didn't realize you already know the future. My bad.

Three games into this season, with the parity in the league these days I think there's a dozen teams that have a good shot at the championship. Including last year's AFC champs. The only teams that definitely are not in the running are the ones firmly at the bottom of the league.

No I don't know the future, but I'm pretty sure that the Pats won't win another SB. I'd even put good money on it.

Let me try this another way. If the Pats go to every SB from here on out and lose, ostensibly making them the 2nd best team in the NFL, they still won't have won another SB, right?

No I don't know the future, but I'm pretty sure that the Pats won't win another SB. I'd even put good money on it.

Let me try this another way. If the Pats go to every SB from here on out and lose, ostensibly making them the 2nd best team in the NFL, they still won't have won another SB, right?

Oh it's cool, I get it. It was the expressed certainty, not the sentiment, that I found a bit off-putting. Personally, I'd love it if the Pats* never sniff another S.B. as long as I live. I just wouldn't put good money on it. (As least as long as the hooded one is their coach.)

Oh it's cool, I get it. It was the expressed certainty, not the sentiment, that I found a bit off-putting. Personally, I'd love it if the Pats* never sniff another S.B. as long as I live. I just wouldn't put good money on it. (As least as long as the hooded one is their coach Tom Brady is their QB.)

We all forget Bellyache got canned in Cleveland and was on his way out of NE until Mo Lewis made sure that Tom Brady was going to be the starter for the next 11+ seasons.

GO BILLS!!!

Welker isn't worth a 3rd rounder to anyone, he is worth more to the Pats* than any other team. He is a 10+ million dollar player on the Pats* and a 6+ million dollar player on other teams. He is a perfect fit with the Pats* why they are they so eager to get rid of him is beyond me (They aren't trading him, but they sure as hell seem like they want to have Eddlemen take his place).

We all forget Bellyache got canned in Cleveland and was on his way out of NE until Mo Lewis made sure that Tom Brady was going to be the starter for the next 11+ seasons.

GO BILLS!!!

No, what we forget is 2008, when he had TB for all of about 7 minutes before losing him for the season to a knee injury, and yet his system with Matt Cassell still squeezed out an 11-5 season and only missed the playoffs due to some screwy tiebreaker. BB sucked in Cleveland. But unlike most NFL coaches who suck initially, he actually got a lot better at his job.

No, what we forget is 2008, when he had TB for all of about 7 minutes before losing him for the season to a knee injury, and yet his system with Matt Cassell still squeezed out an 11-5 season and only missed the playoffs due to some screwy tiebreaker. BB sucked in Cleveland. But unlike most NFL coaches who suck initially, he actually got a lot better at his job.

So, the one season he goes without Brady and they miss the playoffs is the one Bellyache should hang his hat on? That was a veteran laden squad and all Cassel had to do was not screw it up and manage games.

Yes, he's one of the greatest coaches of all time, especially on the defensive side, and I'd take him as my coach any day of the week. But without a first ballot HOF QB at the helm for the last 11 years, I don't think he'd have had the success he's had. Same would go for any coach.

GO BILLS!!!

So, the one season he goes without Brady and they miss the playoffs is the one Bellyache should hang his hat on? That was a veteran laden squad and all Cassel had to do was not screw it up and manage games.

Yes, he's one of the greatest coaches of all time, especially on the defensive side, and I'd take him as my coach any day of the week. But without a first ballot HOF QB at the helm for the last 11 years, I don't think he'd have had the success he's had. Same would go for any coach.

GO BILLS!!!

The point was, his current system works pretty well, with or without Brady. Obviously it's better, other things being equal, to have a pro-bowler as your QB. (Although IIRC, they actually had a worse regular season record the following season, when they got TB back.)

GO BILLS!!!

is there a coach that has had the success he has had for a decade that didn't have a HOF caliber QB or at least close? Maybe a year or two here and there with less of a QB, but any of the so called dynasties have had HOF QBs. Bradshaw, Staubach, Aikman, Elway, Starr, etc.

is there a coach that has had the success he has had for a decade that didn't have a HOF caliber QB or at least close? Maybe a year or two here and there with less of a QB, but any of the so called dynasties have had HOF QBs. Bradshaw, Staubach, Aikman, Elway, Starr, etc.

That's why it's always been a player's league vs. a coach's league. Great players, especially great QBs, make great coaches far more often than the reverse. And any coach I've ever met would say the exact same thing.

Schemes and putting your players in the best position to succeed is nice and shouldn't be overlooked in the equation, but you need superior players, especially at QB, to win consistently in this league.

GO BILLS!!!

GO BILLS!!!

i more or less agree - but i also think brady wouldnt dismiss that the coaching helped brady develop too.

the two were the right pairing, and did amazingly well together. theres a good chance each would be successful without the other but likely not as successful.

sometimes the stars align, and it did so for the pats.

Edited by NoSaint

i more or less agree - but i also think brady wouldnt dismiss that the coaching helped brady develop too.

the two were the right pairing, and did amazingly well together. theres a good chance each would be successful without the other but likely not as successful.

sometimes the stars align, and it did so for the pats.

Imo, every one of Brady's offensive coordinators, especially Charlie Weiss, had more influence on the development of Brady as a QB than anything Belichick said or did.

Belichick's record as a HC before Brady certainly doesn't lend itself to my believing that he would have enjoyed success without Brady, simply because he hadn't up to that point.

I'm not saying that Belichick has had no bearing on things. Certainly, from a defensive standpoint, he's one of the greatest innovators in history. And that certainly factors into NE's* success. I just don't think it's as big a reason for their success as the development of Brady, at the game's most important position, into one of the best of all time.

Serendipity indeed.

GO BILLS!!!