Joe Buscaglia "upon further review"

Upon further review piece about Chiefs game

QB

Fitzpatrick Grade: B- Season GPA: 1.94

Thigpen Grade: B- Season GPA: 2.70 GPA

Now granted Fitz stunk up the place against the Jets. Even so, he has thrown for 5 TD, 2 vs Chiefs, made some key passes, and got some yards with his feet

Something seems off about giving him the same grade, and a lower season "GPA", than Tyler Thigpen who has barely seen the field and told to kneel a lot when he did.

Thigpen might be better, Thigpen might be worse, we have no way of knowing.

So what's up with this guy current WNYers? Is he a few peas short of a cassarole or is he generally on the mark and just has a strange prediliction to assigning grades to absent students?

Those things are great. Unfortunately, sometimes I think JoeB is nuts in his observations. Still, it's good grist for the mill.

For what it's worth, he is a big upgrade IMO from Paul Hamilton when it comes to football, and since getting the Bills' contract, GR has become a helluva lot better on its local coverage. The John Murphy Show helps a lot. And if there were such a thing as hockey this year, even the Sylvester the Cat show would be an upgrade.

Joe B does some great work.

Fitz GPA is low because he failed the Jets game miserably

Yeah--giving Thigpen the same grade as Fitz for handing off the ball and kneeling down. That's some "great work".

Here's Joe's explanation as to why he gave TT a "B-": "Stats: None. He kneeled it once and handed the ball off five other times."

He must be a professor at Harvard, the way he's handing out the inflated grades.

Yeah--giving Thigpen the same grade as Fitz for handing off the ball and kneeling down. That's some "great work".

Here's Joe's explanation as to why he gave TT a "B-": "Stats: None. He kneeled it once and handed the ball off five other times."

He must be a professor at Harvard, the way he's handing out the inflated grades.

I was thinking, the teacher in the athletes' courses at a Div I school :rolleyes:

And pretty much, yeah, you summed up my thought - when I went to school, the student who didn't hand in work or take the test, got an "incomplete" or a "not submitted" or a "0", not the same grade as the guy who actually showed up and took the test, however poorly.

I'll give JoeB a pass on this for what people assert is great work elsewhere

Joe B does some great work.

Fitz GPA is low because he failed the Jets game miserably

I have no quarrel with his low grade of Fitz at this point, I just don't see how you can give a guy who has hardly played, the same grade and a HIGHER GPA. Give him an "incomplete" or something

So he gave a grade to Thigpens few snaps, so what? He needs to give a grade to later provide aweighted average. That means he's getting 5 or 6 plays worth of "doing as expected". He explains that B- is average.

Did you see anything particularly good or bad in TT's play?

Giving Thigpen a grade at all makes no sense.

Fitz's grade is so low because he sucked balls against the Jets, and he missed some ridiculously easy wide open passes, and the bulk of the work all game was done on the ground against KC.

Edited by CodeMonkey

So he gave a grade to Thigpens few snaps, so what? He needs to give a grade to later provide aweighted average. That means he's getting 5 or 6 plays worth of "doing as expected". He explains that B- is average.

Did you see anything particularly good or bad in TT's play?

Giving Thigpen a grade at all makes no sense.

Fitz's grade is so low because he sucked balls against the Jets, and he missed some ridiculously easy wide open passes, and the bulk of the work all game was done on the ground against KC.

Exactly--how about "no grade" for "no stats"?

read the premise of these pieces....he is grading every player on every snap this season. That's why TT got a grade.

Have you ever read any of his other work? Do you follow him on twitter? Do you hear him on WGR? He really is one of the best sources of Bills news there is. So yea, he does do great work in my opinion.

read the premise of these pieces....he is grading every player on every snap this season. That's why TT got a grade.

Have you ever read any of his other work? Do you follow him on twitter? Do you hear him on WGR? He really is one of the best sources of Bills news there is. So yea, he does do great work in my opinion.

I wouldn't say his work is "great." Just as good as Hamilton IMO. People seemed to have really taken to him during the Mario saga because Joe couldn't help from mentioning how many hours and cough drops he was eating while sitting at OBD waiting for Mario-related news.

You don't give the backup the same grade for doing the minimal required to end the game as you do the starter who wasn't great but who threw 2 TDs, no picks and had a decent 9.4 YPA. Does thst not make sense to you?

If you have to grade the backup QB, give him a D--that's the minimum grade for not failing. You don't give him the same as the starter for that nonsense. Come on!

You don't give the backup the same grade for doing the minimal required to end the game as you do the starter who wasn't great but who threw 2 TDs, no picks and had a decent 9.4 YPA. Does thst not make sense to you?

If you have to grade the backup QB, give him a D--that's the minimum grade for not failing. You don't give him the same as the starter for that nonsense. Come on!

You're right, there's plenty of room to argue the grade given to Fitzpatrick.

Why don't you think since a B- is average that TT deserved that grade for his limited snaps? Do you think he did anything particularly well or poorly?

You're right, there's plenty of room to argue the grade given to Fitzpatrick.

Why don't you think since a B- is average that TT deserved that grade for his limited snaps? Do you think he did anything particularly well or poorly?

He did nothing. Or nothing that any player on the roster not otherwise occupied couldn't have done. He killed the clock, handed off, kneeled down. There was no opportunity to do anything and in fact he was asked to do nothing. There is no stratification, no gradations of nothing.

The grade scale should be the same for all QBs. Seeing what Fitz's task was and what TT's was, there simply cannot be any way they could achieve the same grade--it means they are equivalent (by definition). It makes no sense. TT, for what he did, can only get a D or an F (if he somewhow screwed up the the unscrewable job he was given).

He did nothing. Or nothing that any player on the roster not otherwise occupied couldn't have done. He killed the clock, handed off, kneeled down. There was no opportunity to do anything and in fact he was asked to do nothing. There is no stratification, no gradations of nothing.

The grade scale should be the same for all QBs. Seeing what Fitz's task was and what TT's was, there simply cannot be any way they could achieve the same grade--it means they are equivalent (by definition). It makes no sense. TT, for what he did, can only get a D or an F (if he somewhow screwed up the the unscrewable job he was given).

I think these Buscaglia articles are great and applaud him for taking the time to rate all of the players and keep a running average for the full season. In order to do this he has to give him some grade for his limited snaps. Again, B- is his average, and I think that makes sense for these few plays. There was nothing good or bad there.

Yes, I would give RF a higer grade for the Chiefs game. You twice have come back to this instead of indicating why there's something wrong with the B- given to TT. Again, did he do something wrong to deserve worse than average on his limited plays?

Is the "grade" throwing you? This isn't like they both earned the same grade at the end of a semester. It's more like you don't think 5 homework assignments at the begining of the year should have been graded at all or he should have somehow... I don't know, really really handed off the ball better, or super-knelt the ball on those plays in order to earn his completely neutral B- rating. Actually, the whole school analogy is screwed up since that sounds like all players are asked to do roughly the same work like coursework.