Steve Young was right.

RevWarRifleman

Steve Young's comments after Monday night's game about the NFL & having replacement refs was dead on! As long as the popularity of the games is not waning, the NFL doesn't care about trying to work things out to get the regular refs back. He did a great job of pointing out that the NFL claims to care about 'player safety', yet many of these refs can't catch obvious penalties by many of the players, so therefore, the probability of injuries goes way up.

The debacle of Monday night's game was the worst. Those officials were clueless on several fronts all throughout that game, and were not in control of things as well! And Young was emphatically pointing out that the NFL doesn't care that these 3rd rate refs can't see what's going on much of the time, nor are clear on some of the rulings, hey fans, and players, deal with it, we're not giving in.

I didn't see it but ya. Young is right. The NFL could care less unless ratings drop or a superstar gets severly injured on a blatant penalty type of play. I'd be a little more comfortable actually if the NFL gave all teams an extra 2 challenges a game. Would cut down on some of the bs.

I don't agree that probability of injury goes up. Some of the interference calls I have seen were based on mild, incidental contact and probably shouldn't have been called.

If I were the refs on strike I would be worried because the replacements are getting better each week and watching film on their calls, developing their skills etc. I would guess if the old refs aren't back within a month they will be gone for good.

Edited by Webster Guy

Most of the noise about the replacement refs is coming from the media and more recently the players. So right now the only way this changes is if the players get fed up with having to deal with an out of control situation on the field and collectively decide to refuse to 'cross the picket line' of the officials. Something like every team staying in the locker room at halftime next week until the NFL deals with the official union would do the trick.

Not that its going to happen because such an action would likely be a breach of contract action but that would do it.

I don't agree that probability of injury goes up. Some of the interference calls I have seen were based on mild, incidental contact and probably shouldn't have been called.

If I were the refs on strike I would be worried because the replacements are getting better each week and watching film on their calls, developing their skills etc. I would guess if the old refs aren't back within a month they will be gone for good.

This. Also, "could care less" vs. "couldn't care less." Well, which is it?! LOL

Are the replacement refs any worse than the regular refs?

Sure, the replacement refs are blowing some calls. Even with the regular refs there seemed to be blown calls every week.

They are worse but it's not god awful. Still, it's Goodell taking out of both sides of his mouth. You talk about play safety, but then you skimp on refs when you are running a billion dollar business?

I love the NFL but it's greed is getting out of control. As others have mentioned, full price preseason games is a joke. The league is golden now but if you keep pushing for every penny, eventually a fall will happen.

Edited by C.Biscuit97

His most true, and most telling statement was that this shows the League does not care about player safety. There are plenty of examples of missed calls that put players in danger, and the general lack of respect for the replacement refs has made for very chippy and cheap play.

To take it a step further, this also shows that the entire Bounty-gate crap was only to protect the NFL from future litigation, and had very little to do with protecting players. That was just a nice excuse Roger got to use.

They are worse but it's not god awful. Still, it's Goodell taking out of both sides of his mouth. You talk about play safety, but then you skimp on refs when you are running a billion dollar business?

I love the NFL but it's greed is getting out of control. As others have mentioned, full price preseason games is a joke. The league is golden now but if you keep pushing for every penny, eventually a fall will happen.

I think the cracks are already there. Through week 2 every team in the nfl except 2 has had a home game. There were only 9 games that were filled to capacity! The home vs stadium experience (bathroom lines, public indecency, drive, etc..) definitely weighs in this but the cost is so outrageous that it tilts the choice heavily towards staying home. Greed is already causing many problems and a lot of fans are starting to see through it.

Link.

I think the cracks are already there. Through week 2 every team in the nfl except 2 has had a home game. There were only 9 games that were filled to capacity! The home vs stadium experience (bathroom lines, public indecency, drive, etc..) definitely weighs in this but the cost is so outrageous that it tilts the choice heavily towards staying home. Greed is already causing many problems and a lot of fans are starting to see through it.

Link.

Very true. I absolutely love tailgating and there is nothing better than being in the stadium for a big win. But most of the time, I'd rather stay at home or go to a friend's/ bar than deal with all the stadium BS.

This. Also, "could care less" vs. "couldn't care less." Well, which is it?! LOL

Either one is correct. "Couldn't care less" is grammatically correct if speaking in a direct manner, "could care less" is the same phrase using sarcasm.

I will say that i wouldnt turn off a bills game, but on monday night, a game i was moderately interested in - I found myself drifting to other channels when they were taking a long time to sort stuff out. if something else held my attention i likely wouldnt have returned.

that leads me to believe someone thats a bit less fanatical about the game is even more likely to drift out and not return.

im not suggesting mass ratings drops, but if things dont get better i could see it happening in small increments over the next few weeks. we already complain about all the dead time. adding another 15-30 minutes for referee issues will not improve the experience.

watching your favorite team is inelastic, but i think that watching the general nfl has some elasticity.

I will say that i wouldnt turn off a bills game, but on monday night, a game i was moderately interested in - I found myself drifting to other channels when they were taking a long time to sort stuff out. if something else held my attention i likely wouldnt have returned.

that leads me to believe someone thats a bit less fanatical about the game is even more likely to drift out and not return.

im not suggesting mass ratings drops, but if things dont get better i could see it happening in small increments over the next few weeks. we already complain about all the dead time. adding another 15-30 minutes for referee issues will not improve the experience.

watching your favorite team is inelastic, but i think that watching the general nfl has some elasticity.

Fantasy/ gambling interests help games as well. But I agree. I have a lot more interested in a meaningless late season Bills game than I do the Super Bowl.

i love how this mantra keeps getting repeated.....please explain to me how the refs are making it more dangerous for the players?

Do the refs protect the players during a play? No, they call a foul when a play is completed.

Do the refs make it safer to play football? No, the players themselves decide how safe it is or isn't. If a PLAYER hurts another PLAYER because he thinks he can get away with it with replacement refs, how about removing that player from the league.....isn't that how is should work?

Isn't this exact issue the problem we have with criminals in society?

I think Young, unfortunately, has a point. Now, I'm not against having new blood. I wouldn't have a problem if these replacements were being broken in slowly, but they're NOT. They are being handed full control and they are clearly not ready.

I'm not talking about missed/blown calls. Those happen with the old refs, on both sides. They are happening more, but if that was the only problem I wouldn't care.

What I care about is that games are stretching to crazy lengths. What I care about is that we find out after the fact that refs had clear conflicts of interest. (a Saints fan reffing a Saints game, a ref with an Eagles player starting in fantasy football) What I care about are the scrums which keep erupting (Bills second TD, Ravens/Eagles, MNF). These are all problems, and they are going to get worse until some superstar gets his clock cleaned and we have a new Kevin Everett (if it has to be someone, God forbid, please let it be Brady), field-wide fistfights break out, or someone is proven to be throwing games.