Nix and Chan are not on the same page

On the Howard Simon show today Buddy talked about how Alex smith Stunk and was a bust but when Harbaugh got there they went old school with relying on the run to protect Smith and now he is great. He was making the supposition that we can do the same with Fitz.

However Chan is not run first, use the Fullback and TE to block to set up the pass kind of coach. He uses the spread to set up the run and relies heavily on the QB to make decisions out there, which is Fitz's biggest problem. Even though Fitz went to Harvard his on field decisions are killing this team weather its a poor read or noodle arm he is not an elite QB, never has been never will be.

So If Chan was this offensive genius that people claim he is, he would emulate a smash mouth run first Offense, but he loves his spread and come hell or highwater he's sticking to it.

If we bomb out this year Nix might pull the plug and get someone more like Harbaugh in here,

WGR 550's The Howard Simon Show.

"We're in with Fitz,

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2012/9/14/3332722/buffalo-bills-ryan-fitzpatrick-buddy-nix

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been suspecting for a little bit that the two have not been on the same wave length. I do believe Nix is NOT the problem for sure and he will do what he has to do if things do not turn around this year. I'm not so sure I agree with you that Fitz's issues are his decision making, even though be made many last Sunday. I believe its a combination of things. The WR's, his accuracy, his decisions, coaching and a lot of the time the line.

I have been suspecting for a little bit that the two have not been on the same wave length. I do believe Nix is NOT the problem for sure and he will do what he has to do if things do not turn around this year. I'm not so sure I agree with you that Fitz's issues are his decision making, even though be made many last Sunday. I believe its a combination of things. The WR's, his accuracy, his decisions, coaching and a lot of the time the line.

didn't really want to go over all of Fitz's problems as that has been beaten to death but I do believe he is not the answer.

I agree if I'm keeping one its nix. He's done everything that boob chan asked and it's a disaster. We've actually digressed from jauron. I believe nix has the savvy needed to be a GM , massage the owner into spending money , and provide support to the head coach. Now it's time to find the better coach. Mid season change works fine if it becomes more clear this years a write off.

I agree if I'm keeping one its nix. He's done everything that boob chan asked and it's a disaster. We've actually digressed from jauron. I believe nix has the savvy needed to be a GM , massage the owner into spending money , and provide support to the head coach. Now it's time to find the better coach. Mid season change works fine if it becomes more clear this years a write off.

John Gruden would be nice.

don´t think any " big-name " coach will come over. and gruden isn´t even that big a name. more a nickname.

we better find the next mike tomlin

Gruden would be great but I agree its doubtful he comes back and like a shanahan highly inlikely of he did its to buffalo. Let's focus on quality assistants from other programs looking for their first shot at HC. They get 1 year to make Changes and year 2 we need to see it show up in more W's or they're out. Tight time frames are good because it would force them to use a blend of the talent they inherit and their program. Chans had too long a leash to make his systems work.

Yeah I got the feeling that Chan kind of isn't everything Buddy wants in his head coach for sure. I think they have their differences not so completely sure that it is a non working relationship yet though. The team doesn't start showing improvement this year and we may see some changes though.

I said this a couple months ago... Nix bought himself an extra year with the Mario Williams signing alone... Even if we go 0-16, Nix will still have a job based on the Mario signing... Chan on the other hand is in a playoffs or you're out scenario... If we don't make it to the post season a new head coach is definitely in order... I'll actually rephrase. If Chan doesn't get us to week 15 at least with still a hope of making the playoffs then he's gone for sure... We need to at least still be contending for a spot by week 15 for him to keep his job. Plain and simple... No more excuses... Only expectations as he clearly says...

Players need a coach that has an extreme competitive edge. You cite Harbaugh. What is the difference between Harbaugh and Chan? One is extremetly intense, the other? Well, does he have a pulse? Does he get excited? Does he show passion? Does he incite passion among his players? You be the judge. But, when I look at this team, I see no fire, no heart, no passion, no sense of urgency. And, I don't see a willingness on the part of ownership to hire a coach of that genre..

Edited by Dr. Trooth

Cant say I totally disagree with the post. Yes on WR's and accuracy, but not so sure on the O Line. The O Line has a lot of pressure put on it by the way Chan runs the Offense and it forces Eric Wood to be spot on always with blitz pick up. The Mental part of the game for Eric I feel is coming, but not all the way back yet. FWIW, the O Line played pretty well against the JETS.

I must say that I am not as 100% as I used to be with Chan.

I have been ok with the drafting, free agent pickups and personnel that Nix has assembled for this team. What has had me confused is the lack of action with the offense. When the wheels came off in the Dallas game last year, Fitz started to stink the place up, and the injuries started to hit, there was no apparent change in the way the offense was run. People talk about how some coaches (Belichick for example) will change their offense and defense from week to week based on the opponent and based on their own players' abilities. The Jets installed all those goofy Tebow plays this off-season. I don't see Chan making any changes or improvements, it's just the same stuff every week (as evidenced by Cromartie jumping the route becaues he knew where the pass was going before it was even thrown.)

You can't spell CHANGE with CHAN! Let's get 'er done!

I remember when Chan or Buddy was hired there was a comment about getting back to smash mouth type of ball. Maybe not exactly worded that way but it was understood by many that we would be running the ball much more. That may be the case when Freddy was in there last year but other than that, it hasn't showed IMO. Not sure who said it, Chan or Buddy, but it's been a blatant lie. I want that wrong fixed.

It's funny because it seems we hear that lie by every coach and GM that comes through here. It seems like I heard it from Donahoe, Juron, Mularkey, Williams, Levy, and Buddy or Chan. I don't get what's so hard about that philosophy. Pittsburgh used it and won 2 SBs. The Giants were probably closer to run first type of ball in thier first SB. Other teams in the past are the Ravens, and Bucs. It's funny that since The Pats got to more of a pass happy offense and Brady has gotten MUCH better than in the beginning of his career they haven't won a SB. But they won 3 in 4 years when they were more balanced. Sure there were the Saints, Colts, and Packers. The Packers also had a great defense and let's not forget that the Saints defense was also key in thier win over Manning and the Colts. It was a very high powered offensive game and the least mistakes was the only thing that was going to come out on top in that one.

I'm not going to get into the whole, what's more important the Franchise QB vs the run game, the Franchise QB vs the defense type of debate. IMO opinion the SB can be won without one. IF.... The game is played right. The Ravens and Bucs are proof of that and as I said before, since Brady has gotten better they haven't won 1 in 2 tries. Ben and the Steelers won 2 but that was when Ben was new and simply managing the game. Eli wasn't exactly the nest QB in the league during thier first SB either. To me, it seems like when QBs get better and have more run of the offense, they throw more and actually drop in the win column. Clock management is what wins games IMO. Protect the ball when you have it and keep it as long as you can. Get it back when you don't. We lost 4 SBs to teams with inferior QB play to ours. Clock management and a strong running game prevailed (except that 1st Dallas SB, that was just a trainwreck).

I said it earlier and often since. If Chan can get over his pass happy ego we will win. My guess, 10-6 or 11-5 with the running backs we have (er....had). But if he keeps that ball in Fitz' hands and allows him to make descisions that hurt us, we will be lucky to be at 7-9 again.

It's your call Chan. Can you get over yourself and lead us to the playoffs??? I'm overly pessimistic about it. Prove me wrong.

On the Howard Simon show today Buddy talked about how Alex smith Stunk and was a bust but when Harbaugh got there they went old school with relying on the run to protect Smith and now he is great. He was making the supposition that we can do the same with Fitz.

However Chan is not run first, use the Fullback and TE to block to set up the pass kind of coach. He uses the spread to set up the run and relies heavily on the QB to make decisions out there, which is Fitz's biggest problem. Even though Fitz went to Harvard his on field decisions are killing this team weather its a poor read or noodle arm he is not an elite QB, never has been never will be.

So If Chan was this offensive genius that people claim he is, he would emulate a smash mouth run first Offense, but he loves his spread and come hell or highwater he's sticking to it.

If we bomb out this year Nix might pull the plug and get someone more like Harbaugh in here,

WGR 550's The Howard Simon Show.

"We're in with Fitz,

http://www.buffaloru...trick-buddy-nix

+1

I have been thinking & saying this for awhile now. It would be more effective for Chan to adjust his offense to a play action format (especially when Fred comes back) to make the offense & Fitz more efficient. Chan seems to view Fitz's intelligence as on par with his ability...and its not there. Team have squatted on the routes of our receiver whenever we go empty backfield, if Chan is determined to stay this course,IMO they're going to have to change the route combinations weekly to keep the defense off-balanced. Also its easier to teach Fitz ball fakes in the play action format wouldn't you think? But my #1 problem with him is when he throws a pass, he rarely leads the receiver to the open field. They often have to adjust or stop for the ball which allows the defender to gain ground...come on David Lee, this is just fundamental QB'ing. But I guess he can't make chicken salad out of chicken scraps.

I've read in many places - people who visit the offseason program, local reporters - that Nix and Gailey and the whole organization is on the same page, finally. However, I've wondered about the offense for a few years now. It seems like Nix is a really old-school NFL man. He values size, strength, and speed. Physical freaks and giants. It's no wonder that our team is a big team now. We can match up, size wise, with anyone, and should be able to play physically with anyone. I, for one, remember a string of years with Jauron and before that, even, when this team was too small, and just was outmatched on a regular basis.

All of this in regards to Nix would lead me to believe he would prefer an old school offense, one like San Fran's, that lets the run open the pass, and that really stresses fundamentals. But, then you look at Gailey's offense, and he is the modernist, cutting edge play caller who all but abandons the run in many games. His best players would fit nicely into a run-first type offense. Yet... Not only do I wonder about the play calling, but I'm curious about the total lack of investment in the offense. That, to me, anyway, suggests Gailey could still be afforded a few years, if only because he hasn't really seen an influx of talent at QB or WR. It's as if Nix has said, I'm gonna spend two years fixing this defense, and you just make the most of what you've got over there on offense.

It's no coincidence San Fran went out this offseason and got some WR upgrades. Even if we were to emulate such a team, we'd be lucky to resemble them at last year's production - and our defense isn't even close to theirs. We are, in any model, it seems, still a few years away.

Players need a coach that has an extreme competitive edge. You cite Harbaugh. What is the difference between Harbaugh and Chan? One is extremetly intense, the other? Well, does he have a pulse? Does he get excited? Does he show passion? Does he incite passion among his players? You be the judge. But, when I look at this team, I see no fire, no heart, no passion, no sense of urgency. And, I don't see a willingness on the part of ownership to hire a coach of that genre..

That was especially evident with Jauron. With Gailey I thought the Bills went more in a direction of - if you can't get Bill Cowher, at least you can get the guy he recommends - route. Nix has some fire in him. I agree, by the way, about the intensity of the coaches. Look no further than college, when the students are playing for pride and some for their futures; the coaches have to have these guys playing with an extreme intenisty and passion. Then the players get to the NFL, and all of a sudden they've made it, they're rich, and for many I believe it becomes a money game, a business - it isn't so much about winning and losing, but rather about contracts and image. If you have a coach, though, who can break through to the majority of these players and inspire them to play for more than just a paycheck, to instill meaning in the game for them, then you have a harder working, more accountable team. I would think those coaches would spend a lot of time trying to be sure the players they bring in are really in it for the right reasons, too. (nothing bothers me more than seeing players shrug off losses, as if it ISN'T a SMACK IN THEIR FACES, as if they aren't taking it PERSONALLY)

The Bills, though - especially Ralph Wilson and I presume more so his handlers - have stayed far away from outspoken, passionate coaches. They don't want a man who will stand up for what he believes in and demand to run things a certain way. They want a guy who will do what he's told. (Maybe an exception was made with the Shannahan/Cowher attempts - and maybe it's gone so long without success here that a future exception will be made, too.)

I said this a couple months ago... Nix bought himself an extra year with the Mario Williams signing alone... Even if we go 0-16, Nix will still have a job based on the Mario signing... Chan on the other hand is in a playoffs or you're out scenario... If we don't make it to the post season a new head coach is definitely in order... I'll actually rephrase. If Chan doesn't get us to week 15 at least with still a hope of making the playoffs then he's gone for sure... We need to at least still be contending for a spot by week 15 for him to keep his job. Plain and simple... No more excuses... Only expectations as he clearly says...

Really, even if Mario still has no pressures and no sacks after 4 games and ten sits out with a minor injury.

Bills are done changing GM or HC in the Ralph Wilson era. It's Nix and Gailey or bust until there is a new owner. And when a new owner arrives, he/she will change coaches and GM irregardless unless they have won the Super Bowl in the interim, and even they maybe.

So Buddy uses the exception to prove the rule once again? Every NFL team, upon beginning a rebuild, finds the guy they think will be their franchise type. And in the case of SF, Smith isn't asked to throw the ball 30 times a week like Gailey has Fitzpatrick do.

I'd like to see the team run more to keep Fitzpatrick from throwing those INT's. But they won't be giving Spiller 25 carries a day either, nor do they need Tashard Choice on the field any more than necessary. Losing FJ is a blow because now the burden on Fitzpatrick is even greater to carry the offense. And that's not what this team needs now.

We'll see what Gailey decides to do against a good front 7 KC can put on the field. If they can't put some points up and confuse defenses, it could be a long season.