Was Mario being a crybaby, you be the judge

Pardon my ignorance, but the point you missed is that a regular football fan doesn't want to hear a 100 million dollar man blame his lack of production on day one, on an aggressive inferior player and the refs.

Anyway, he could simply have copped to the obvious--that he had a tough day. No one believes that Mario Williams has never faced a hand in his face throughout his career. You blew off my explanation that he hasn't faced an opponent in a real game in a year, yet you want me to believe that the guy who he faced Sunday neutralized him all day by putting his hand in Mario's face for a few plays?

Ridiculous.

There is a BIG difference between being aggressive and being illegal.

And a few plays? According to the source, it was almost every play. You continue to blow off the fact that shoving your hand in a DE's face is NOT a small deal. You dont seem to understand that. So do me a favor. Put on some pads. Go out to your local college teams practice, and try rushing the passer. But wait, before you do that, tell the RT to shoot his hand into your facemask. Watch how fast you are stopped in your tracks.

Ive had it happen mutliple times in my career. There is no fighting it off. Youre stuck.

What most see as "bitching" I see as a smart move by Mario to get as much media attention as possible to something he wants to see called a penalty.

Bingo.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what this huge pus.sy does not understand is that we have long passed the point where we feeling like hearing anyone's excuses after yet another bad loss.

i don't care what the guy did mario. he is a chump udfa with 1 nfl start and he took your 100million dollar as.s to the cleaners.

and more to the point, i don't want hear 1 more excuse/alibi/explanation/clarification from any of these guys about anything until we don't suck anymore. that includes nix, gailey, fitzgarbage, johnson or any of the rest of them. all we ever get in buffalo is excuses and alibis and more suck every year. i don't want to hear from any of them until they become a winning team.

and while i am thinking about it...wtf is it with our 3rd round wr at a position of need not even being active? while the jets 2nd rounder is dancing in our endzone all day.

on that basis alone i am ready to blow it up.

Perfect exact of internet muscles. I would pay money for you to say that to him in person.

But seriously, why don't more big time FAs sign with the Bills when this "great" fanbase bails/ name calls them after one game? Mario was pretty pathetic Sunday but not as pathetic as some of these posts.

+1 Mario should have got more physical with the other guy. if the refs are not going to call hands to the face, then smack the guy in the head and knock him down.

Apparently not, I guess what he should have done is taken the football and went home until the referees went over and gave the RT a spanking for putting his hands in his face and playing against the rules :rolleyes:

Do people really think that other players, especially Linemen in the NFL are sitting there having sympathy for Williams for just pouting about not getting the calls? Do you not think other linemen are laughing at it and saying that if it happened to them, and the refs ignored it, they would take matters into their own hands? Do people seriously think that the NFL or these referees are now going to watch more closely for guys getting there hands in Marios face so that they can make those calls since he made them aware it was going on? If anything the refs are going to watch him more closely and call smaller stuff on him for trying to make them look bad and blaming them for his bad play.

And don't give me the 'You have never played football before, so you don't know how hard it is" BS. Mario is being paid as the best defensive player in football, playing a position thats known for being the most aggressive and nastiest positions (the lines). He was rendered completly and utterly useless on Sunday by a guy off the Jets practice squad.

Do people seriously think that the NFL or these referees are now going to watch more closely for guys getting there hands in Marios face so that they can make those calls since he made them aware it was going on?

Actually, yes. Ed Hochuli once said he always listens to players complaints and makes sure he looks out more attentively for them next time.

Actually, yes. Ed Hochuli once said he always listens to players complaints and makes sure he looks out more attentively for them next time.

Good refs in all sports do this. Indeed, good refs in all sports will point it out even before another player complains.

GO BILLS!!!

There is a BIG difference between being aggressive and being illegal.

And a few plays? According to the source, it was almost every play. You continue to blow off the fact that shoving your hand in a DE's face is NOT a small deal. You dont seem to understand that. So do me a favor. Put on some pads. Go out to your local college teams practice, and try rushing the passer. But wait, before you do that, tell the RT to shoot his hand into your facemask. Watch how fast you are stopped in your tracks.

Ive had it happen mutliple times in my career. There is no fighting it off. Youre stuck.

Bingo.

Give me $50 million guaranteed first.

Anyway, you seem to think this is the first time Mario (or any D-lineman, for that matter) has gotten a facefull of hand during a game. Do you really believe that? Is this some new technique Rex Ryan invented to neutralize Mario? No, you don't believe that because it is very common and likely rarely called . And have you ever heard a D-lineman complain in a locker room interview about it or blame it for his poor performance--I bet you haven't.

So you should just get off this angle. It's not convincing at all. Mario should have acknowledged he is a little rusty after being away from the game for so long and that he will be kicking ass next week in the home opener. That's what a consumate pro would do. Because really, after the insane hype (especially here) for this guy this off-season, what fan wants to hear this from him?

what this huge pus.sy does not understand is that we have long passed the point where we feeling like hearing anyone's excuses after yet another bad loss.

i don't care what the guy did mario. he is a chump udfa with 1 nfl start and he took your 100million dollar as.s to the cleaners.

and more to the point, i don't want hear 1 more excuse/alibi/explanation/clarification from any of these guys about anything until we don't suck anymore. that includes nix, gailey, fitzgarbage, johnson or any of the rest of them. all we ever get in buffalo is excuses and alibis and more suck every year. i don't want to hear from any of them until they become a winning team.

and while i am thinking about it...wtf is it with our 3rd round wr at a position of need not even being active? while the jets 2nd rounder is dancing in our endzone all day.

on that basis alone i am ready to blow it up.

Post of the year thus far.

Congrats. :thumbsup:

Anyway, you seem to think this is the first time Mario (or any D-lineman, for that matter) has gotten a facefull of hand during a game. Do you really believe that? Is this some new technique Rex Ryan invented to neutralize Mario? No, you don't believe that because it is very common and likely rarely called . And have you ever heard a D-lineman complain in a locker room interview about it or blame it for his poor performance--I bet you haven't.

So you should just get off this angle. It's not convincing at all. Mario should have acknowledged he is a little rusty after being away from the game for so long and that he will be kicking ass next week in the home opener. That's what a consumate pro would do. Because really, after the insane hype (especially here) for this guy this off-season, what fan wants to hear this from him?

Kind of amateur even for you Weo.

A "consummate" pro would first know how to spell it, and second would go after every advantage he could get such as getting the scrub refs to throw the flag when someone is trying to remove his head via his face mask. In your opinion it is more to Mario's advantage to say that he is rusty and have every o-lineman he faces using the Jets' blueprint rather than bring attention to the issue and draw some penalties to force the next o-linemen he faces to re-think that approach.

A defensive end in a four-man rush taking an outside move is very visible. With referees who know what the hell they are doing, a hands to the face like those we saw in the Jets game gets called 9 times out of 10 and the Jets march backwards instead of completing a pass, or they have to change their game plan and keep more help on that side. I applaud Rex Ryan's coaching prowess to recognize that something was not being called and taking advantage of it. He has done the same thing with bump and run coverage - his scheme does not work unless he can go man-to-man on the outside and keep his safeties up, so he coaches his corners to keep their hands all over the receivers well past the 5 yard contact zone. If the NFL called it tight on the Jets, it would be a flag on about every defensive snap against the pass and the game would just grind to a halt. Rules like that are similar to how the NHL prohibits obstruction, they always end up making a token effort to enforce the rule and it gets thrown out in the playoffs so a smart team builds and coaches their team to obstruct with the best of them.

One of the reasons that Stevie is the rare WR with success against the Jets is because he is so hard to jam off the line and they struggle getting their hands on him - his release is very unorthodox.

Does anyone really believe that Mario suddenly forgot how to rush the passer and his accomplishments with Houston were a fluke? He is a talented end and a "consummate" pro. If he says that having someone latch onto his face mask all game long took him out of his game, why should I believe otherwise? Are folks just mad that he signed for so much in Buffalo? Do you really think that he could not have signed elsewhere?

I am more angry with George and Wanny's coaching of our secondary with that laid back zone crap against those timed routes and the fact that McKelvin is still in a Bills' uniform - as physically gifted as that kid is, he must have walleye vision or something. He shows close to zero ability locating the ball once it is in the air.

possibly most of you have me on ignore.

Did anyone besides me rewatch the game?

The very first defensive play by Williams?

Please do before you all reach conclusions about this guy.

I had to rewind it again and again.

Also he had next to no hands to face the first quarter. Rewatch the game and then tell me what you think.

By the way i like Cordy Glenn.

Mario had better come out this week and start earning a double team. He was singled by Howard nore often than not. and lost.

I am staying open minded of course.

Sheppard and Moats have improved. Kelvin looked very little like preseason thank goodness

Apparently not, I guess what he should have done is taken the football and went home until the referees went over and gave the RT a spanking for putting his hands in his face and playing against the rules :rolleyes:

Do people really think that other players, especially Linemen in the NFL are sitting there having sympathy for Williams for just pouting about not getting the calls? Do you not think other linemen are laughing at it and saying that if it happened to them, and the refs ignored it, they would take matters into their own hands? Do people seriously think that the NFL or these referees are now going to watch more closely for guys getting there hands in Marios face so that they can make those calls since he made them aware it was going on? If anything the refs are going to watch him more closely and call smaller stuff on him for trying to make them look bad and blaming them for his bad play.

And don't give me the 'You have never played football before, so you don't know how hard it is" BS. Mario is being paid as the best defensive player in football, playing a position thats known for being the most aggressive and nastiest positions (the lines). He was rendered completly and utterly useless on Sunday by a guy off the Jets practice squad.

Why are you bitching at me with this? Did you read my post?

A "consummate" pro would first know how to spell it, and second would go after every advantage he could get such as getting the scrub refs to throw the flag when someone is trying to remove his head via his face mask. In your opinion it is more to Mario's advantage to say that he is rusty and have every o-lineman he faces using the Jets' blueprint rather than bring attention to the issue and draw some penalties to force the next o-linemen he faces to re-think that approach.

A defensive end in a four-man rush taking an outside move is very visible. With referees who know what the hell they are doing, a hands to the face like those we saw in the Jets game gets called 9 times out of 10 and the Jets march backwards instead of completing a pass, or they have to change their game plan and keep more help on that side. I applaud Rex Ryan's coaching prowess to recognize that something was not being called and taking advantage of it. He has done the same thing with bump and run coverage - his scheme does not work unless he can go man-to-man on the outside and keep his safeties up, so he coaches his corners to keep their hands all over the receivers well past the 5 yard contact zone. If the NFL called it tight on the Jets, it would be a flag on about every defensive snap against the pass and the game would just grind to a halt. Rules like that are similar to how the NHL prohibits obstruction, they always end up making a token effort to enforce the rule and it gets thrown out in the playoffs so a smart team builds and coaches their team to obstruct with the best of them.

One of the reasons that Stevie is the rare WR with success against the Jets is because he is so hard to jam off the line and they struggle getting their hands on him - his release is very unorthodox.

Does anyone really believe that Mario suddenly forgot how to rush the passer and his accomplishments with Houston were a fluke? He is a talented end and a "consummate" pro. If he says that having someone latch onto his face mask all game long took him out of his game, why should I believe otherwise? Are folks just mad that he signed for so much in Buffalo? Do you really think that he could not have signed elsewhere?

I am more angry with George and Wanny's coaching of our secondary with that laid back zone crap against those timed routes and the fact that McKelvin is still in a Bills' uniform - as physically gifted as that kid is, he must have walleye vision or something. He shows close to zero ability locating the ball once it is in the air.

If a typo invalidated a point, there would never have been a point made on this board.

Anyway, it's hard for me to believe that Mario has never been given that treatment before--especially from a far inferior opponent. Do you really think that the Jets came up with some novel new plan Sunday--and that was it??

Conversely, it's far easier for me to believe that Mario, who took a whole lot of money from the Bills to go with insane hype (disproportionately from many here), came up embarrassingly short of crazy expectations and he used the hands to the face as an excuse to deflect some of the heat. I'm not saying he didn't have to deal with the illegal use of the hands on him. I'm just saying that if he had a great day we wouldn't have heard about it. I also don't believe this is why he performed poorly.

Where do you get the idea that this always happens? It absolutely doesn't. If it did, there would be no sacks in a game. THERE IS A REASON WHY IT'S ILLEGAL.

Very amateur. He actually said it's almost never called. What? More like its almost ALWAYS called.

the media is full of has been blowhards.

Rodney Harrison is a di ck and their is nothing wrong with Mario saying he doesn't watch the mediots.

Harrison was voted the "dirtiest player" in the NFL by his peers in 2004...

In 2006, Harrison once again topped the "dirtiest player" voting by 361 other NFL players

In 2008, NFL coaches awarded the title to Harrison in an anonymous poll conducted by ESPN

he's got little to say

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Where do you get the idea that this always happens? It absolutely doesn't. If it did, there would be no sacks in a game. THERE IS A REASON WHY IT'S ILLEGAL.

Very amateur. He actually said it's almost never called. What? More like its almost ALWAYS called.

This is silly. Hand to the face is what prevents sacks? Holding by the O-line is "ILLEGAL" too. Is it "almost alway called" also?? If it was, and lineman never held, there would be alot more sacks in a game.

Come on! Say it--"offensive linemen holding is illegal and it is almost always called."

What do you do for a living?

picard-facepalm.jpg

Alright, im going to give up on this thread. Its clear that those who are saying "he should have fought through it" and blah blah blah haven't played a down of football in their lives.

Ladies and Gentlemen .... AL BUNDY!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get a grip.

I was actually quite pleased when I saw his interview. Anytime a player gets top money like Mario did, I am a little concerned about how motivated they will be to play and practice. In Mario's post game interview, you could tell he was pissed off that he didn't produce and wanted people to know why. It told me he is motivated so I am happy about it.