Greatest ESPN promo EVER?????

The Poojer

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The legend of John Claytons ponytail grows!!

Must say, as much as I loathe about 75% of ESPN, I count their SportsCenter promos as part of "good ESPN"

I still think the one with the Manning family taking the ESPN studio tour is pretty funny...Peyton was comedy gold back then!

Nope. Close second, maybe, but it still doesn't beat Charlie Steiner with warpaint and a tie wrapped around his head shouting "Follow me! Follow me to freedom!"

That was my favorite too. Also loved the one where Evander Holyfield is looking for Steiner to give him his whooping.

The legend of John Claytons ponytail grows!!

Must say, as much as I loathe about 75% of ESPN, I count their SportsCenter promos as part of "good ESPN"

I still think the one with the Manning family taking the ESPN studio tour is pretty funny...Peyton was comedy gold back then!

Really?? You can find 25% of ESPN worthy of your time?

Nope. Close second, maybe, but it still doesn't beat Charlie Steiner with warpaint and a tie wrapped around his head shouting "Follow me! Follow me to freedom!"

Everything involving Charlie Steiner was great. I know it wasn't a commercial, but his meltdown while showing the Carl Lewis national anthem is my favorite moment in the history of ESPN.

Everything involving Charlie Steiner was great. I know it wasn't a commercial, but his meltdown while showing the Carl Lewis national anthem is my favorite moment in the history of ESPN.

Along those same lines, my favorite line ever spewed on that show was when Greg Vaughn was having a great year and just burying himself on a horrid Tampa Bay Devil Rays team. He hit a home run and the call -- by whom, I don't remember -- was "GET ME OUTTA TAMPA!"

Still hilarious to me. All others, had to be there, I guess.

Really?? You can find 25% of ESPN worthy of your time?

Rough figure. I watch a bit more during football season (a small percentage of their football coverage is "worthy" of my time, but gets it anyway), and the NBA playoffs. They do a good job covering the NBA, though not as good as TNT. Also, I really have liked all of the "30 for 30" documentaries they have aired...I think I have seen most of them.

They just have so much content that is repetitive, stupid, and frivlious (hard to do when you are covering "entertanment sports", I know!), so maybe 25% is being generous. But, I realize, as much as I B word about ESPN, if it were to go off the air, I would definitely miss it...

For me, it has become sort of the equivalent of CNN. You go there for a big, breaking, story, just to get the details, but after that, it is pointless.

But, the commercials are still very entertaining.

Edited by Buftex

Truth, he was great.

What is he doing these days besides Dodger games?