Democratic party platform does not mention God

Gary M

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

God shouldn't be involved in legislating this country. It's not how it was designed and history shows it always works out poorly for the people when God takes center stage in politics.

I believe it was a mention in previous platforms of "god given rights" that was eliminated. I guess the question is, why would they take it out?

I read earlier today (can't find it now) that a dem official was arguing that the word "God" had not been removed , as it was in all previous platforms, it just wasn't included this time.

Newspeak at its finest.

and while I am sadly aware that religion is mostly scoffed at here, i would like to offer this thought.

The R's believe (as in the Declaration of Independence) that our rights are God given.

The D's believe our rights are goverment given.

If God given, then our rights cannot be taken away by man. If goverment given, then man can take away our rights.

It is fundamental and important.

Funny, one of the two parties basically keeps the same party platform that it has for decades, the other omits and changes certain aspects of theirs, yet the media narrative is that the one who has kept in place the same platform for decades, is the party who has moved further to the extremes.

:lol:

God shouldn't be involved in legislating this country. It's not how it was designed and history shows it always works out poorly for the people when God takes center stage in politics.

Sorry dude. It;'s how we started.....

IN CONGRESS, July 4, 1776.

The unanimous Declaration of the thirteen united States of America,

When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

And here is the really important part

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happines

As already stated if they don't believe in God, then you have no rights unless the state gives them to you.

http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/charters/declaration_transcript.html

I wonder if Castro pissed them off by mentioning God so many times?

More likely he actually pointed out to them that Hispanics in general tend to be Catholic and that it probably wasn't their best way to reach out to Hispanics by pointing out that they were kicking them in the nuts again.

As I'd mentioned in another thread yesterday, I was kind of surprised how for the 1st part and last part of his speech every 4th word was about God, the Lord, or receiving his blessing.

Funny, one of the two parties basically keeps the same party platform that it has for decades, the other omits and changes certain aspects of theirs, yet the media narrative is that the one who has kept in place the same platform for decades, is the party who has moved further to the extremes.

:lol:

Great point

I read earlier today (can't find it now) that a dem official was arguing that the word "God" had not been removed , as it was in all previous platforms, it just wasn't included this time.

Newspeak at its finest.

and while I am sadly aware that religion is mostly scoffed at here, i would like to offer this thought.

The R's believe (as in the Declaration of Independence) that our rights are God given.

The D's believe our rights are goverment given.

If God given, then our rights cannot be taken away by man. If goverment given, then man can take away our rights.

It is fundamental and important.

It is a fundamental aspect to consider. But, it's also a sticky wicket. For people who don't believe in the existence of God it's tomato/tomatoe for if there is no God then how could he give anyone rights or take them away?

Sorry dude. It;'s how we started.....

IN CONGRESS, July 4, 1776.

The unanimous Declaration of the thirteen united States of America,

When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

And here is the really important part

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happines

http://www.archives....transcript.html

This doesn't invite God into legislation. At all. Any attempt to misconstrue the words or meanings to say so is misrepresenting historical fact and the founding father's own words.

The document you're citing actually prohibits it and the designers of it were a hodgepodge of Christians, Agnostics and Diests. They didn't agree on God's role in man's life but they were smart enough to realize inviting it into politics was a mistake. Which is why they created a wall between the state and religion.

Belief in God is great. Governing by the word of "God" is the first step to tyranny and not at all what the Founding Fathers wanted.

It is a fundamental aspect to consider. But, it's also a sticky wicket. For people who don't believe in the existence of God it's tomato/tomatoe for if there is no God then how could he give anyone rights or take them away?

True, and I certainly do not wish to try and speak for those wo do not believe in god,

but many times I have read them referring to our "natural rights" or coming from "nature"

still not "government-issued"

Rights are inherent, regardless of the manner of our engineering.

True, and I certainly do not wish to try and speak for those wo do not believe in god,

but many times I have read them referring to our "natural rights" or coming from "nature"

still not "government-issued"

Don't get me wrong -- I know some people are taking my statements as being anti-religion but I assure you I'm not anti-religion -- what you're hitting on is a very real and very valid concern. But there is a giant difference between believing there are inalienable human rights (which the founding fathers believed) and divine/God-Given rights.

This doesn't invite God into legislation. At all. Any attempt to misconstrue the words or meanings to say so is misrepresenting historical fact and the founding father's own words.

The document you're citing actually prohibits it and the designers of it were a hodgepodge of Christians, Agnostics and Diests. They didn't agree on God's role in man's life but they were smart enough to realize inviting it into politics was a mistake. Which is why they created a wall between the state and religion.

Belief in God is great. Governing by the word of "God" is the first step to tyranny and not at all what the Founding Fathers wanted.

I don't believe anyone was suggesting that they "invite god into legislation", but I mean, what about at least a little shoutout. Like, yo god, What up?

Couldn't there at least of been that?

Rights are inherent, regardless of the manner of our engineering.

Amen.

And that core belief is what this country was founded upon -- and they got there without basing their arguments on God's will. That doesn't mean some of the founding father's weren't deeply religious and spiritual. It just means they were smart enough to realize man's relationship with his maker is personal, not public and certainly not the business of the state.